Notices

New to the site. Hello.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the site. Hello.

Well, I've never been able to bring myself to walk into an AA meeting but I have accepted the fact that I am an alcoholic.

My friends and family seem to accept this due to the fact that my mother died a few yrs ago. To be honest I was drinking before she had gotten sick just not as much as I did after I found out and after she passed away...
Its been awhile now and I can no longer accept that I drink because I am sad. My life isn't all horrible or bad. I have a wonderful family and should be celebrating life not drinking it away.

I've tried to quit many times and I've also tried "cutting down". I have slowed down a bit again recently and started eating better, excersizing, and so on but I am still drinking at least 14-18 teas/beers every day to every other day (Thats about 3000 extra empty calories! No wonder I need to lose like 30lbs!)... I take a day or 2 off from time to time to recover from my hangover or if I have something I need to do at night (i will try to stay home as much as possible, even make excuses to do so) but I guess this is better than my old whiskey habit.

I havent been sober for more than a week in years and I am so sick of waking up feeling sick, tired, ashamed and angry with myself... So I am trying something new. I've tried journals to keep track of my overall health and when ever I reach a goal (went to the gym today!) I tend to be happy and want to celebrate with a few beers... How rediculous is this logic?!

I have read up on everything one should do to quit and what to expect and what kind of damage I am doing and will continue to do if I don't quit. I came across this site by accident am I am glad I did because I have gotten to read some pretty powerful blogs and realized maybe I just can't do this on my own...

Thank you for listening <3
Old 03-12-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome JustBreath,

You will find so much understanding and support in SR!!! I was much like you, and now I am sober 7 months - nothing short of a miracle - and SR played a big role in my sobriety. Best wishes.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome JustBreath -

Good to have you with us! I tried to control my drinking for years, too, and kept wondering why it didn't work. Once I had a drink or two in me, I always wanted another (or 5 or 10!). I think it's always been like that for me.

Over time, it got harder and harder to live the way I was and I saw that things were actually getting worse. I was terrified to think about life without alcohol, but coming here helped convince me to try it, one day at a time (well, probably 10 minutes at a time that first day!).

I'm so glad I got sober - I'm actually so much calmer and less depressed now and rarely even think about drinking. It takes time, but you can get there too!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think I will be using this site often. Even if just to blog. I am even kind of excited about it

Brighter days to come!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Brighter days to come!
Absolutely!!!! (And don't let that addict voice in your head start whispering lies to you that say otherwise).....

Just take it a day at a time...... Each hour sober is a victory! (I've learned from getting sober that as long as I'm in the present moment, I'm OK. It's when I start thinking about the future or past that I start feeling overwhelmed.) So take it easy, be patient with yourself and think of a couple ways to treat/reward yourself. You can do this!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

came across this site by accident am I am glad I did

Me too. I was struggling with staying sober when I came here. I now have over two years sober so it is possible to live a sober life.

to the family!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site, you will love it here.

I am a newbie here too, I have only been here a few days and I love it so much. I'm a recovering oxy addict.

It sounds like you have the conviction to change your life so you should be proud of yourself. Stay strong and check out the chat room too. Sometimes when I need a really quick distraction I will just log into chat and the people make me laugh and smile.

Take Care
Olive
Old 03-12-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

One of the things I heard was “only you can do it but you can’t do it alone”. I found it to be true. There is a wealth of information and support here. One thing I really needed in the beginning was some face to face contact with people who had done what I was attempting to do. I found that in AA. I also found a huge amount of tolerance, open mindedness and people who wanted to help without asking for anything in return. I hope you can find that also, where ever your journey takes you. My best to you.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome JB...Glad you found us.Lots of support and wisdom here.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, u will find a lot of support and great infomation here
Old 03-12-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome! It sounds like you're ready to take control of your life again. I was fed up when I came here, too - but I was afraid of letting go of my crutch. Not sure why, since I was miserable & my life was a living hell at that point.

When I came here and found I wasn't alone, it changed my whole attitude. I had no one else in my life to discuss the problem with. I began to feel encouragement and hope. 4 plus years later, I never looked back. You can do this!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR justbreathe

D
Old 03-12-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustBreath View Post
Well, I've never been able to bring myself to walk into an AA meeting but I have accepted the fact that I am an alcoholic.
Good luck with your recovery.

There is nothing to fear in AA and it will certainly be there for you if needed.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-12-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Old 03-12-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Welcome, justbreath. Glad you found the site.

"maybe I just can't do this on my own..."

Isn't it wonderful that you don't have to! Keep posting, keep reading, we want to help.

I've been sober over 23 years. It's worth it.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You are all amazing P.S I got through today, there are certain times that are hard for me (2-6pm) everyday and today I made it through. Thank you all for your support! Think I am going to post my first blog!!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congrats on getting through the day! Don't worry, they're not all going to seem that long!

Sometimes in the first days, the urges seem overwhelming (like a 2x4, out of the blue), but when they come, take note of the time on the clock and give yourself 10 minutes. Breathe deep......get something to drink/eat....... check the time and see if they haven't started fading even before the 10 minutes are up.

Hope you have a happy and sober day tomorrow!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
NAIOU

Yes you are in the right place here at SR. It all comes down to what you are willing to do to get sober and stay that way. There are a lot of good people here at SR that are willing to help you on your journey. I have seen you in chat before. There are some good people in chat that are willing to help you. Good luck on your journey. Love and Respect. Logo
Old 03-13-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi JB,
You sound like you Re more than ready to start the journey to sobriety.

If you don't feel you can make it to a meeting of AA at least read the book and listen to speakers online.
Read about other recovery programs but start filling you mind with information about addiction, this will help change your thinking and strengthen your resolve to stay sober and keep close to the forum.
Approach this with total commitment to staying sober and you will.

All the best
CaiHong