Notices

Sick and Tired

Old 03-11-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sick and Tired

Hi all,

I have been binge drinking now for 8 years. It began when I was 18. I'm at the point now where I want to be done with alcohol forever. I have attempted to quit multiple times, but I have failed every time. I often will make it about two week between binges. However, when I drink, I drink a lot and it's not good for my health or my life period. Any tips on how to get passed this would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Goreds!

I got tired of drinking, too..... how I felt the next day, trying to hide it, worrying about my health, etc..... Still, I found it impossible to quit on my own until I got some support and made a commitment.

We're glad you're here - have you ever tried any recovery programs? I know you'll find tons of understanding and inspiration on this forum - it's been a lifesaver for me!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

get yourself to an AA meeting or go and see your doctor and just take one day at a time. Tell yourself that you are not going to drink today. You will need support, this is a great place for it. But make sure you have a plan. Welcome!
Old 03-12-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome!

I'm like you, I binge drank for twenty years. I can't tell you how many solemn vows, swearing it off and failed attempts I had.

I've now put together over two years sober, and believe me, I was a hopeless drunk.

There are programs of recovery you can use. AA may not be a bad idea. You'll hear stories of people who drank just like yourself. Read the Big Book and see if you can relate, or if it makes sense to you.

I feel your pain, because I was just like you.
What works for me, is thinking that first drink through to the end, and the consequences it will bring.

I suffered horrible hungover anxiety, fear and shame at having failed again. This cycle continued for many years until I was drinking most evrey day. I finaly, after a horrible withdrawal experience, put the bottle down. I hope you don't reach the low point I did, and take my word for it, if you continue, you probabaly will.
Alcoholism is a chronic, progressive and relapsing disease.

You'll find lots of support here. Thanks for posting it will help keep me sober today.

Best to you.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Goreds
Welcome to SR

I could never seem to go more than a few days sober either - but coming here, and finding support and new ideas really helped change thing for me - it really helped me to realise I wasn't alone with this...

SR really helped me turn things around - I hope we can help you too

D
Old 03-12-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JEANS

It's worth keeping a diary and write down what triggers you to drink and what state of mind you are in that day etc. Try and learn something about yourself everytime you drink so that you can put it right.

I very much doubt anyone has been able to quit easily and stick to it. Each time you quit you are closer to the day you quit for good
Old 03-12-2012, 05:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

The best thing I did in the very early days of recovery was to change my daily routine. I made myself go out for a long walk after supper, which was the time I would normally drink. I shopped in different areas so as to not pass a liquor store, and I read some excellent books on spirituality. I had become completely detached from my spiritual self and I needed to re-connect.

You can do this!