Notices

Should I go to AA?

Old 03-11-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Zee

Should I go to AA?

Over the couple or so weeks I have been using this site, I have read alot of posts about AA and I am thinking about going to a meeting next week. The main reason for this is to meet people like yourselves on SR, and on another post I said that I am around drinkers all the time and would like to meet some non-drinkers. I have some reservations though, as although there appears to be a meeting every day in my area, they are all either in the hospital or in a church (?). What would I expect from my first time going? I am in no way religious and anything remotely 'happy-clappy' would send me running for the hills! (I have been sober since 30/8/11 and would not be able to relapse even if I wanted to as I have a damaged liver - my REALISTIC reason for continuing sobriety). Im just wondering if it would be advantagous for me.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Member of the RESISTANCE

If you have a drinking problem and a desire to stop drinking then yes. That is what AA is for. As for the religious thing - it's not religious at all. Spritual yes, religious NO. Don't let that scare you off. A lot of people get the wrong idea about AA - the reality of it is a lot different.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Here...Check this site out...It covers it pretty well...Even the God...Spiritualty thing...If you want to meet sober alcoholics....I have found it to be a good place to do it....I hope you enjoy it..

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 03-11-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

Yes zee give it a go,I see you are in East Sussex,helpline number is 01622 751842.Line is manned from 08.30-22.30.Dont know how they do it there but here we would contact an AA of the same sex as yourself,they would then contact you,that gives you the chance to ask any questions,they can come and see you at home or arrange to meet you at a meeting.Of course you can just turn up at a meeting if you prefer.

I have been to meetings down on the South Coast.

Wishing you well.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Meetings are free, and many are open, meaning anyone is welcome to come in and find out what they are about. So, no harm done in checking it out and seeing what you think.

Many meetings are held in hospitals or churches because they can get free or low cost meeting space there. AA is a non profit organization so it helps if they keep costs low.