Meetings Question

Old 03-11-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meetings Question

Looking for some input regarding meetings. I have found a regular Nar Anon meeting that is a good distance from me where I feel comfortable but due to my work/living locations will not be able to continue there past this month. (unless gas prices go way down).

In looking closer to home there seem to be many more Al Anon meetings than Nar Anon and I am wondering if that is appropriate for since my AS is recovery from a meth addition. The only Al Anon meeting I have attended did not have any parents of addicts - primarily spouses which left me feeling that perhaps I did not belong.

The message and work is the same but what have you all found works the best for you.....is it more important to have common ground with the group? The Nar Anon group closest to my house due to the demographics of the area is also heavily partner based.

Appreciate your insights!!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cynical One....thank you for your post. Doing nothing is definately not an alternative so I will give Al Anon meetings a serious try. Good point you raise about NarAnon being a bit more crisis focused. I think this is very true with the group I have been going to; good insight since I am looking for more of a long term recovery approach now - having for the moment passed out of crisis mode. (whew) But they sure helped with that! A good observation for me to keep in mind. Frankly I am really wanting to find a sponsor to work the steps with.....just hoping to find a connection that will work.

Thanks again!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've always found it very strange that there are so few NarAnon meetings..almost non-existent in most areas, but there is addiction in almost every family. I was fortunate enough to be part of a wonderful NarAnon group for about five years before moving. Attended a few AlAnon meetings after that. It's not quite the same, but if you need support, by all means go. I still miss my NarAnon group. We became family.

Maybe you could just go to the NarAnon occasionally for like-minded problems. Though alcohol certainly brings trouble, I find that it isn't usually the same kind.

Good luck in your efforts to find the support you need.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All that is available to me locally is Alanon, and I find it works very well for meeting my needs.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My wife is addicted to meth and I have found tremendous wisdom in both Alanon and Naranon meetings. For me I can relate to naranon meetings more and have developed closer relationships with those in my naranon groups. We have a good sponsor family as well. When I cannot get to naranon meetings because of my schedule I fill in with Alanon meetings. I had to find the right alanon meeting for me because like someone else said they all seem to have a different feel to them. Some of them I don't like but I've found the ones that I do! Good luck!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with many of the folks who have posted thus far.

I am working the steps via an Al-Anon based step study group. They are all aware of the fact that my son is a meth addict but as Cynical One stated......I am not there to cure his addiction......I am there to work on me and my issues so the step work translates very well for me.

As far as regular meetings, I attend Nar-Anon regularly and Al-Anon for fill in. It all helps me but I do find that there is a different "tone" in the Nar-Anon meetings. Our Nar-Anon meeting has a core group of people but it's quite the revolving door with crisis based attendance. Some begin coming hoping to find the answer to solving their loved one's addiction....those who keep coming back are the ones who recognize that their own lives have become unmanagable and they are looking for answers for themselves.

gentle hugs
ke