Any ideas how to handle this?

Old 03-11-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any ideas how to handle this?

When my AH gets drunk he seems to have a fascination with firearms. We have no children and I am very active in target shooting. Here's my problem...the last time I came home and found a bullet hole in my bedroom wall I took all the firing pins out of the rifles and locked them in my firesafe. He was so drunk he accidentially pulled the trigger and I was so mad the next day that I didn't know what to do.
So with the rifles safely disabled and my handgun on me at all times, I slept better knowing I wouldn't have come home to a disaster. (we have 4 dogs)
This morning I needed to get something out of the safe and realized it had been broken into. The firing pin is missing from one of the rifles and the stock and barrel are gone out of my closet.
AH is sleeping off yet another day of boozing with no food. My question is this...Do I confront him? Do I not confront him and see if I can find the rifle? Obviously once I do I am getting them out of the house for good. Until then I'm terrified I will come home to a dead dog or the police at my door telling me my husband shot a neighbor. HELP!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yikes! This sounds so dangerous. Aren't you afraid that you may one day walk in and have one of those guns accidentally go off while pointed at you?

I think you should confront him (when he's sober), and make sure he has no way of accessing the guns again. But why should you have to get the guns out of the house if they are something you enjoy and know how to use responsibly? Maybe the guns could stay, and he could leave? JMHO
Old 03-11-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'd do whatever it takes to get ALL the guns out of the house but then what is to stop him from buying another? If it were me, I'd be more concerned about my own safety than anything else and I would find another place to live. But that's me.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He reassembled one gun it isn't in the house so when he got in the shower I went out to his truck and retrieved it again. Boy is he gonna be ticked when he figures that out but oh well. I thought about buying a gun safe but he will just break into that too, so I still need to figure out what to do. But at least he is no longer in possession of it. I'm going to talk to my training instructor and see of I can keep them at his house. It's the safest thing I can think of right now.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Guns + alcohol = big trouble

When my AXF came to get his things (including guns), I could see he was under the influence and seeking to have a 12 hour "conversation" about our relationship. While he was gathering things and asking "didn't I love him anymore?", I quietly called the cops. The very first thing they asked me was "are there any weapons in the house?".

He did not threaten me, he has never been irresponsible with guns, but I was taking no chances.

Now of course, he is living at his house, with all the guns and ammo, terminally pissed that I had the gall to call the cops (his son is a cop-different town). I'm trying to believe that he and his guns will fade quietly away. Hope I'm right.

Get a heavy gun safe. I have one, they are not easy to break into.

Be safe.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My husband is an alcoholic and a firearms expert, and even HE knows that alcohol and firearms don't mix! Get all the guns out of your house. You might consider speaking with someone at the police department to get their input on how to handle someone who repeatedly handles loaded firearms while drunk. Document everything. This might help you in obtaining a restraining order down the road.

I would be worried that YOU will be the next target of an 'accidental' discharge.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

wow, can't think that someone would live with an alcoholic and guns, too don't mix, at all. sounds like a recipe for a major disaster, I wouldn't confront him I'd run. please don't be a statistic, please be safe. be careful, think this over...