Notices

Sometimes you just have to let it all out.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sometimes you just have to let it all out.

I'm 5 days sober. This morning was my first saturday in a long time waking up without a hangover. At first i was happy, but then when I started to think about all the things I have going on over the next few months I began to feel really overwhelmed and the tears started. I told my husband about all the things going through my head, and he was like...just stop it....take each day as it comes, stop worrying about other things and worry about yourself......This made me angry and I started to get really frustrated with him. I know he's right, but it's so hard to just change the way I have been all my life. I guess now that I no longer have the wine to block it out that Iam going to have to deal with few things, and that's fine. I know Iam a strong person and will figure it out. After an hour of tears and talking with my husband I am starting to feel a lot better . 5 minutes after my venting was over I said to my husband...I'm sorry I am an emotional mess right now.......His reply.....I'd much rather deal with you like this than the drunken you anyday! Today is a good day. I look forward to saying day 6 tomorrow. hope you are all doing well.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there Holly...You didn't drink...Today is a good day...
Old 03-10-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you got to vent to your husband! I always feel better when I get it out too. you're doing great!
Old 03-10-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi Holly

Congrats on the 5 days, it sounds like you have a very supportive husband and you have an insight to yourself. These are great tools to help you stay sober.

Emotionally I was up and down for months and the longer I am in sobriety the clearer I can see how the alcohol was affecting my thinking.
I am sober with the support of this forum and AA.

CaiHong
Old 03-10-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah between my husband and my therapist I'm hoping I can kick his habit. I have to tell myself 20 times a day.... One day at a time. Seems simple but for me it's so hard. Well done on your sobriety.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats Holly. Once getting sober its like starting life all over again as a new person with new thoughts, feelings, emotions & challenges. Your doing great, be kind to yourself for this difficult life transforming change you are making. Its worth it
Old 03-10-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Holly, that's why I like AA so much. Everyone there knows how I feel and what I'm thinking.

Good luck in your recovery.

Bob R
Old 03-10-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Learning to live "one day at a time" was one of the most valuable things I got from AA. I had to let go of resentments, shame and guilt and stop worrying about the future which hasn't arrived yet. It takes practice, but it's so worth it. I also notice that when I live in the present I enjoy life much better.

Sounds like you've got a supportive husband, don't forget to give him a hug tonight and thank him for sticking with you.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

Holly I found it was a very emotional journey for the first few months. I have had to learn that feelings are not facts, and accept that alcohol does not make problems go away.