Freeing Myself

Old 03-09-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Freeing Myself

My AH has been drinking heavily the past two weeks and it was just a matter of time before the downward spiral caught up with him and his meds...AGAIN. It's so obvious when he's about to have an anxiety attack/meltdown because the booze is interacting with his meds and not working for him. I've watched this coming on for over a week. Lots of alcohol, little to no food. Well today it caught up with him and he is now home from work, in bed with the covers over his head and the blackout blinds drawn. Bouts of crying and shaking and fretting will ensue.
I used to talk to him, put food in his stomach, try to calm him down and remind him that he cannot drink with the meds, and figure out ways to make it work for him this time.
Today I watched him go off to work KNOWING that he wouldn't make it til lunch before things got the better of him and he had to run home and hide. So what did I do different that normally do? I picked up a rake, went out to the back yard to do some clearing before he even made it into the house. I refuse to coddle or take any part in not only his addiction but the fall out of it there after. I have decided to save myself and my own sanity than try to play into his.
This group, all your posts, stickies and support have become my lifeline until and after I can get out. Thank you all so much for your words of wisdom, commiseration and advise. I don't think I could have done this without you.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work. Recovery looks good on you.

Your friend,
Old 03-09-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Thelma))) - Good for you!!! Your recovery is shining brightly

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-09-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Wow!

Your yard and You are looking good!

Keep taking care of yourself. You are important!
Old 03-09-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

" Well Done Thelma "

Wished I d known what to do 5 weeks ago when this happened to me and before I joined SR.

But I know now and what a revelation all this is.

Keep going!
xx