Notices

First Shot

Old 03-09-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Shot

Well, im officially beginning the long, tough trail of detoxing at home from opiates....day one today and its already looking grim. The pain isnt as bad as i had imagined, yet, but working through this, mental block so to speak is proving more difficult than expected. I do have an appointment with my doctor to get some help in this endeavor but that appointment is still two weeks away...by then, if i manage this on my own, i feel that it will probably be a moot visit. Ive been on a 100-120mg a day habit for at least 3yrs, working with whatever i could get my hands on but never "graduating" past orally taking vicodin or percocet...Not to diminish the seriousness of the situation at all, i understand that the path i have been on is NOT a good on by any standards...i really nervous...really scared, not sure what to expect...this is the first Real shot ive given this method...meaning that ive been without for a few days at a time before but now i have the added variable of I WANT OUT! Im so done being this half-time dad, this lousy husband and horrible friend....im anti-social unless im high and even then i only want to do what I want to do...my kids and wife have suffered enough, its time for me to kick this...i only hope that posting here and reading what others have to say may give me the support i need to punch through...i have a strong belief that after the physical symptoms reside that i can handle the mental effects...as ive previously kicked a separate habit involving ALL mental withdrawal...I dont know, im rambling i see....Thanks in advance for any kind words and support and ill keep posting my progress as the days continue....Its real this time, thats what i keep telling myself...
Old 03-09-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would not recommend detoxing at your home. You should probably have a doctors advice before doing that, is there any way you can get an emergency appointment?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Did you tell your doctor exactly what you are doing today? 2 weeks is a loooong time!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is there an NA meeting near you? They could help if you can't/won't do Dr or detox.
The tape that played in my head for the first little while should NOT be viewed alone, you'll believe your own B.S.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-09-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((daelrick))) - Welcome to SR! There are a lot of people here who have found recovery from opiates. I found out, after I'd been here a while, though withdrawals are different, I could relate to people who were addicted to just about anything...the mental part is hard.

I would recommend calling your dr. back and explaining what's going on to see if you can get an earlier appt. Though opiates weren't my "thing" (I did abuse them at one time, but crack is the drug that brought me to my knees), I have read here that it's like a really bad case of the flu. Might want to have sports drinks (gatorade/powerade), immodium or something for diarrhea, lots and lots of hot baths as you are going to ache.

I read a ton of posts/threads when I got here. I found out I was not alone (and neither are you), and there were some great people in recovery that gave me encouragement to do the same.

Also, I don't think it really matters the amount of what we do..some people do a LOT more, others not nearly as much, but recognizing that it's affecting your life in a negative way? That's a great start, as is coming here.

There's some good information in the "stickies" which are the permanent posts at the top of the forum. Not only CAN you do this, you deserve to do it. I got tired of a substance controlling my life...took a while for that to sink in, but it's true.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-10-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well i think im beginning to agree with everyone speaking about talking to my doctor before starting this...its quite a bit worse than i imagined and i may need some kind of help...no sleep, the anxiety, the mood swings...its all a bit much for me to handle i think...im going to call my doctor monday and see if we can swing that appointment a little earlier, plus im looking into information on NA meetings and counselors in my area...its my mission to quit...ill keep you guys posted on new info...today is worse than the day before but im hoping tomorrow is brighter. Thats what i keep telling myself anyways! Thanks for the kind words, keep them coming guys, it really helps to know there are others out there! Ill post more when i feel a like sitting still for a few minutes again!