Notices

hi..

Old 03-09-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi..

hey everyone.
I joined here a while ago, i've done a fair bit of reading bu t haven't felt able to post til now because I was still drinking. I got home after a medicated detox on the 6th March and am about 5 minutes away from completing my 11th day sober, 3rd day on my own. so far so good but I'm concerned that I won't be able to keep it up for long alone. I really want to start going to regular AA meetings but I don't know how to choose which one and am so afraid of going on my own.. any advice for this lost beginner?
Old 03-09-2012, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do this. The worst part of withdrawal is done. You can google meetings in your area.
Don't be afraid. Everyone is there for the same reason.
95% of what we worry about NEVER happens!
Keep reading & posting. Others here can steer you in the right direction. Sapling, sugar bear ....

And welcome!!!!!
Old 03-09-2012, 05:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Find someone to go with you. Or just walk through that fear and go to save your life. Once there, you'll feel at home. Try each meeting at least twice. I've found several meetings and what I've noticed is that the same meeting (day and time) changes each week. Listen to some AA speakers online. Search AA speakers or go to xa-speakers.org!

Welcome!!!!
Old 03-09-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JEANS

Feel the fear and do it anyway! If you can't get someone to go with you, make yourself go. You will feel proud of yourself which will bring positive feelings and help towards your sobriety.

You are doing fantastic and you can do it. Good luck
Old 03-09-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Jaylee, welcome to SR

I didn't post to start with cos I thought everyone had to be sober too. I even lied on the question they ask you on the member registration form about your sober date - went back in after and changed it once I realised it didn't matter heh.

I don't go to AA, but I'll bet after hanging out on SR if there's anywhere in the world you can be guarenteed a welcome it'll be at a meeting. You should go. I mean, you can always walk back out again, right? They're used to addicts, and we all act a little weird

Still
xx
Old 03-09-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Jaylee, congrats of your sobriety.

Everyone in AA had their first meeting at some point. Try going to different meetings and see which ones you are comfortable in. Each one seems to have its own style. You can just sit and listen to everyone, you don't have to share if you don't want to.

I was scared to go to my first meeting as well, but now it is one of my favorite things to do. My best friends are in the rooms of AA.

Let us know how it goes.

God bless.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

May I suggest an Open meeting to start? You won't be asked to do a thing except to sit back, relax and listen. Anyone can attend an open meeting so if you want to bring some support, go for it. My guess is that you'll be thinking "what the heck was I worried about" after. We've all gone through the first meeting jitters and we all remember how it felt. You'll be in good hands. Hell, if you can handle detox, AA should be a snap.

Be well.