Notices

excuses to drink again

Old 03-07-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

excuses to drink again

I just found this site. My last drink was on the 4th of July. I was filled with so much self hatred and self loathing that I was depressed the following day. What did I do? I signed up for Ironman Texas in May and have stayed sober now for 247 days while training. T he longest stretch of my life. I even had a custom speed suit made that has soberman printed on it and a headband that reads 320 days. that's how long I will be sober on race day. That's the good stuff. The bad, boredom and no social life. I can't go to a bar at midnight on a Saturday and stand around. I might as well go to bed early and get up early and ride 75 miles and run another 8. The training is grueling and dominates all my free time. I wondering what's gonna happen when the event is over. I have competed in 10 other triathlons, but this is my first full ironman. Also, my 30 year high school reunion is at the beach in Sept., oh boy. I have written and published 2 novels during other sober periods and I know I have another 2 books in me, but I'm too consumed with ironman. I have a short attention span and get bored quickly. I would welcome any thoughts on moving the J ack Daniels to another place.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Irondad

I had to do more than just not drink in order to stay sober.

I found my life was very boring to a sober me too - so I changed it - there's more things to do that hang in a bar - if that's what your buddies do, why not find some other new buddies?

There's more things to do that just 'work' all the time too. Have you got anything you always wanted to do - hobbies pursuits...ideas?

Getting sober was the best thing I ever did - but it didn't change my life. I had to do that myself

D
Old 03-07-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Wow that's impressive, man. You must have a boatload of energy!

I think that a key to my sobriety was learning to be happy in stillness -- that is, not to be anxious because I am alone, not to be bored because I don't have anything to do, and not to stuff my life so full of projects, obligations, and other commitments. Don't get me wrong -- being sober is helping me get closer to many of my life goals, but I'm trying to be more balanced, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

Maybe our situations are a little bit different, but I think I know where you're coming from.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I found my life was very boring to a sober me too - so I changed it - there's more things to do that hang in a bar - if that's what your buddies do, why not find some other new buddies?
D
Agree... it's hard to not hang out with your friends that drink. It sounds like you're very outgoing though I'm sure there's people around your sports that would enjoy hanging out booze free? Hope ya feel better today man.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I agree with the others. It's great that you're working hard on the Ironman, but I had to learn to be quiet with myself. I had to learn to live with the stillness of me. And, like Dee, I think that balance is crucial to my recovery.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Distraction only worked for so long for me.. then I had to really face my recovery. It was incredibly difficult, humbling, and it saved the rest of my life. I think it's awesome that you're workingon Ironman, published books, you have some amazing stuff in you. I bet if you applied that sort of energy into recovering from the inside out, you'd be amazed at the results.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober is Better

You are the man! dude just reading that is inspiring to me! Believe me move the Jack (i understand how hard this is Jack was my favorite) you got so much going for you right now. focus on your goal and kick butt man! I'm in your corner! keep it up
Old 03-07-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
Distraction only worked for so long for me.. then I had to really face my recovery.
Same for me. I had an alcohol tether on for 9 months.... I knew the clock was ticking for me. I wanted to be free from booze for sure by the time that thing came off. I went to AA, got a sponsor and started taking direction (mostly...lol) - but most importantly I started working and applying the steps. I rarely thought about drinking once I started working it AND, as an added bonus, I got a whole new life out of it, a new way of thinking, a new plan for living life......happily.......and sober.

I'd hate to hear you did all that training, did the ironman, then went and got drunk cuz, if you're like me, your next drunk could last years.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the comments. i have 6 weeks of hard training left. When I get back from Texas, I'll post an update.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Have you considered a quite activity like meditation? Could you have ADD? It sounds like you're not happy unless you're super busy so you use alcohol to slow yourself down. Could you be self medicating like so many of us?