Anyone with experiences or opinions on non-alcoholic beer?

Old 03-07-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone with experiences or opinions on non-alcoholic beer?

AH has "quit" many times over our 8 year marriage. He has "quit" once again and is attending Al-Anon(I posted earlier about this topic) meetings but he continues to drink non-alcoholic beer. Every time he quits he starts drinking it and I have expressed my concerns over many times. When I ask him about it he falls back on the old "I like the taste of beer, not the effect of beer" excuse.

I've searched the internet but haven't found much in the way of whether it is harmful or helpful.

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with this?? It seems like a set up for failure to me. But I'm not an A and I think beer tastes like $%& so I really just don't get it at all.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Striving to be a better Man!

In my experience its needless torment to drink those. There is a tiny bit of alc. in them and it is just enough to make you want more. They also don't taste very good.

I am curious why he is attending alanon if he has a drinking problem? You should be attending alanon while he is attending AA... (or other program)
Old 03-07-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

His family is full of alcoholics. He needs both. In my earlier post I was concerned that he is at Al-Anon only but the consensus seems to be that maybe its a good start. In the past he has been un-willing to attend anything. So maybe. I agree with the torture. It doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My XAH used to pretend to drink the non alcoholic beer "just for the taste" but all the time he was substituting real beer.

That led to him having to drink whisky cause beer is never strong enough for him....and there we go back on this endless merry-go-round of alcoholic insanity.

And during all this, I'm thinking he's doing quite well cause he's "only drinking non alcoholic beer". I always believed his lies....every single time. What an idiot.

IMHO non alcoholic beer is not a good idea for an alcoholic. It's ok if you're on a night out and you're the designated driver, but it's too risky for an alcoholic. In my experience alcoholics dont drink for the taste. They drink to get wrecked.

Much love and hugs

xxxxx
Old 03-07-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Near beer is not a very good idea.I have had many friends try to romance it while in recovery.If someone asked me if its ok while in recovery.It's either your all in or not
Old 03-07-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know a man who has been successfully sober for many years but still drinks near-beer when he plays pool.

I, personally, agree with those who say that you are giving yourself needless temptation.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Addiction is a perverse love affair with the bottle. Drinking NA beer is like keeping a picture of your ex, on your night stand, by your bedside, after you re-married. You would be wise to be very suspicious in either case.

— From a PhD (Phormer Drunk)
Old 03-07-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I first quit I bought a few to use as a place holder for the real thing. I found that they took care of my cravings to some extent and made me more comfortable. I can remember writing long posts in defense of the stuff. However I soon found that instead of one or two I was drinking 4-6 and feeling bloated and it was obvious to me that they were serving my addiction...not me.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It has long been my suspicion that it probably wasn't the best choice for him to drink the NA beer. It does seem like unnecessary torture. I've expressed my concerns and let it go. My fear is that it will hinder his recovery....should he choose to continue on with his Al-Anon meetings. I'll just sit back, watch and see I suppose.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think you have to let him find his own way with this sort of stuff. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for you but typically we need to figure this stuff out on our own for it to stick.

Good luck.