Notices

I finally have a reason.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

I finally have a reason.

Hey y'all.

I know it has been a while since I have been on. So many things have been happening in my life EXCEPT sobriety, big suprise there, right? I recently had to quit school because my mother has been diagnosed with small cell lung cancer. It spreads very rapidly and it has already metastisized to her liver. Needless to say the wear and tear on me has not only been physical but emotionally draining. Right now they are giving her chemo to "Bring the quality of life to a managable level". So of course I have been drinking a case a night, not to mention shots of Jameson in between the beers. Well, yesterday she told me If I do anything for her after she is gone, she wants me to quit drinking. So, I am coming up with a plan, because I will be quitting before she gets too sick to see it. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.

Dom.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good wishes on soon coming up with a plan. Sorry to hear of your mother's health conditions.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I understand what you are going through, Dom. My mom was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. The family rallied to help with the hospice care. I handled the stress and grief with alcohol and stealing her oxy's and it was during this period that I slipped down the slope of alcoholism. Wasn't pretty and my mom died before she could see me sober.

Give your mom the gift of seeing you in recovery.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Dom...my thoughts and prayers are with you and our family. You are doing the right thing for yourself, and you are honoring your mother along the way. A double win in an otherwise painful scenario. Peace to you and yours.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your Mum. Hugs for you xxx
Old 03-07-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Thank you all for the thoughts and encouragement. It is definitely appreciated. It has been a real struggle here lately.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear about your Mom Dominica2 May her wish for you be something you both share in together and always be a wonderful memory of your mother. May her wish for you become a reality that has a wonderful positive impact on you, your life & the lives of others. You can do this
Old 03-07-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Thanks so much. Beatifully said.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know you have wanted this and have been trying for this for a long time. I believe this is when you will actually make it happen! Stay strong no matter what, for yourself and your mom! You can do it. I'm sorry about what your mother and you are going through but I think you are handling it the right way and using it to make positive changes. Keep going and don't look back.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello Dominica, I am so sorry to hear of your Mother. My Mom fought that same battle for 16 months (4 different types of chemo) and recently passed while visiting me. I also coped by drinking WAY too much (all of this also happening while my AS was in jail and in patient rehab.) I pray for your strength to help your Mom and BE THERE for her. This is no picnic, but we have the opportunity to spend quality time with our parents during their battle. Be positive and keep on posting. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding this specific disease. My Mom had the exact same kind of cancer.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Selfish and selfcentered as I had been drinking I used my mothers dying 20 years ago to even drink more. I didn't think about her needs and what I could have done for her but how it affected me. It was all about me.
It's great, that you aren't as sick as I have been and are trying to give your mother some peace. I hope you find a way to stay sober.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

prayers for you, your mom and your family Dom.

D