Notices

Questions about Naltrexone and Vivitrol

Old 03-07-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions about Naltrexone and Vivitrol

Does anyone know what you need to do or not do before starting Naltrexone. I believe the doctor is starting my husband on natrexone pills first and then submitting approval to the insurance company for vivitrol injection. How long does he need to be sober to start naltrexone pills. Should he start taking the suboxone films first? He has six suboxone films and a week to go before the doctors appointment. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Lmc1970
Old 03-07-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't tell if this is for alcohol or opiates. Either way, we aren't doctors, so we can't tell you when and how to take meds.

They do prescribe naltrexone and that shot for alcohol cravings though. I have taken it in the pill form.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am sorry, it is for opiate addiction. I should have said it before. I was just trying to get an idea how long he had to abstain before he started the Naltrexone and if it was ok to take the suboxone to help with withdrawl for a few days before. I am worried about him so I was writing quickly and should have stated it before. He struggles with an opiate addiction and he is so afraid of withdrawal that it cripples his ability to get sober and has had ZERO luck with the suboxone. I am hoping the naltrexone will be helpful until he gets the vivitrol injection. He doesn't drink alcohol so the vivitrol seems like a good idea for him. I am so afraid I will lose him to this. Thank you for responding.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe you can get an opinion here: Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information