Notices

My Story

Old 03-03-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Zee

Smile My Story

Hello, Im new to this... joined today in fact. Essentialy I was googling whether neuropathy would ever get better... It seems not, but thats another battle etc...

Well... about my lovely drinking history. I started drinking socially when I was about 18 and was quite merrily (excuse the pun) going this way until 2009 when I was made redundant and not too many months later I lost my mum to the big C (the irony of that is that she never drank or smoked) she was only 63. Anyway... I started drinking more and more, mainly as a crutch and also boredom. If I didn't have any alcohol in the house I would panic, and when I went out I would panic, had terrible agraphobia. I ended up drinking up to a litre of vodka a day for over a year. Then I started eating less and less... I literally couldn't swallow food, it would get stuck in my throat. Then the weight loss started. Obviously I didn't notice as I was p***ed 18 hours a day and didn't care anyway. Then march 2011 I started to swell up... started at my feet and within 2 weeks I was double in size up to my diaphram. An absolute awful feeling... numb/painful/sensitive/tingling at the same time. Also terrible breathing difficulties and totally out of breath. (I literally had to drag myself up stairs with both hands on handrail to go to the loo, without being able to bend my legs due to the swelling) Well the docs put me on antibiotics and the swelling half went down, then he put me on a second course and it seemed to work. All this time I was still drinking. (By this time, I was going to bed with a towl next to my head as I would often wake up and vomit) Then, when the swelling went down I found that I couldn't stand up straight without being in pain. Then In August my stomach started to swell up (ascites). I was in a bad way. In the end I called in the doctor for a home visit.. he took one look at me and booked me straight into hospital (thank god). Well, to cut a long story short (I know... too late for that!) I spent one month in hospital (all of last september) I had a feeding tube up my nose into my stomach for three weeks. Had 6.5 litres of fluid drained out of my stomach. Then the fluid came back which has now been controlled with water tablets. Anyway, I have been on this road of recovery for 6 months now. I know from the hospital that I have cirrosis, and have/had liver disease and ATOL hapatitis (I never turned yellow, or ever vomit any blood). I have not had any therapy and have not touched a drop of alcohol since, nor do I intend to again.

This is just an overview of me, there is lots more I could type but I just thought I would introduce myself as I think I will find this site really helpfull. Hope to be typing to you soon
Nina
x
Old 03-03-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

Thanks for sharing your story. It sounds like you are quite the survivor and you are lucky to be alive. I'm glad that you stumbled across our site.

Best Wishes
Old 03-03-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, welcome Zee! SR has been a huge help to me. Keep up the good work on your sobriety and I hope your health continues to improve.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Zee and thank you for sharing! I too had alcohol in my system 18 hours a day by the end. Congratulations on your sobriety. This site is extremely helpful.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There's a lot of great support on this site. Congrats on getting sober.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on deciding to live. Do you have any other support systems? Btw, therapy is almost always a good thing and should not be seen as a sign of weakness.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

Welcome Zee! You'll find lots of great support here. Glad you found us!
Old 03-03-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((Zee))) - Welcome to SR and congratulations on 6 months!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-03-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Zee!

Congrats on 6 months! Sorry to hear about your diagnosis - it sounds like you've been through a lot and I pray the days ahead just get better and better. Glad you've joined us - I love it here!
Old 03-03-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hello Zee! Well done on 6 months sober.

I'm sorry you lost your mother, and understand how easy it is to stay in a fog to try & deal with the grief. I'm so glad you've decided to live your life with a clear head. Hopefully some of your symptoms will improve as you heal. We're here to listen and help.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Zee! Thank you for sharing your story!! Will be praying for your recovery!! Lind
Old 03-03-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Old 03-03-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

welcome

From one newcomer to another, you have been through a lot, i know what it is like to lose your mother, and i too drank to hide the pain. She is not gone, she lives in your heart. Stay strong, we can all help each other.

Xxxxxx
Old 03-03-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Hello, Im new to this... joined today in fact. Essentialy I was googling whether neuropathy would ever get better... It seems not, but thats another battle etc...

Well... about my lovely drinking history. I started drinking socially when I was about 18 and was quite merrily (excuse the pun) going this way until 2009 when I was made redundant and not too many months later I lost my mum to the big C (the irony of that is that she never drank or smoked) she was only 63. Anyway... I started drinking more and more, mainly as a crutch and also boredom. If I didn't have any alcohol in the house I would panic, and when I went out I would panic, had terrible agraphobia. I ended up drinking up to a litre of vodka a day for over a year. Then I started eating less and less... I literally couldn't swallow food, it would get stuck in my throat. Then the weight loss started. Obviously I didn't notice as I was p***ed 18 hours a day and didn't care anyway. Then march 2011 I started to swell up... started at my feet and within 2 weeks I was double in size up to my diaphram. An absolute awful feeling... numb/painful/sensitive/tingling at the same time. Also terrible breathing difficulties and totally out of breath. (I literally had to drag myself up stairs with both hands on handrail to go to the loo, without being able to bend my legs due to the swelling) Well the docs put me on antibiotics and the swelling half went down, then he put me on a second course and it seemed to work. All this time I was still drinking. (By this time, I was going to bed with a towl next to my head as I would often wake up and vomit) Then, when the swelling went down I found that I couldn't stand up straight without being in pain. Then In August my stomach started to swell up (ascites). I was in a bad way. In the end I called in the doctor for a home visit.. he took one look at me and booked me straight into hospital (thank god). Well, to cut a long story short (I know... too late for that!) I spent one month in hospital (all of last september) I had a feeding tube up my nose into my stomach for three weeks. Had 6.5 litres of fluid drained out of my stomach. Then the fluid came back which has now been controlled with water tablets. Anyway, I have been on this road of recovery for 6 months now. I know from the hospital that I have cirrosis, and have/had liver disease and ATOL hapatitis (I never turned yellow, or ever vomit any blood). I have not had any therapy and have not touched a drop of alcohol since, nor do I intend to again.

This is just an overview of me, there is lots more I could type but I just thought I would introduce myself as I think I will find this site really helpfull. Hope to be typing to you soon
Nina
x
Thank you so much for this post

I am still drinking up 2 a case (24) Holsten pils a day and are the same being sick 2-3 times a day and poo like water and not eating, well small amounts, the illness as me checking for blood in my sick, some thing in me wants to stop or i would not be here. found your post up lifting and a hope

Thank you
Old 03-03-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Hi Zee! Thanks so much for sharing your story. Congratulations on 6 months sober!!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Zee

Thanks for all your welcomes... Im so chuffed I have found this site. Even though I have given up the booze I still like to talk about it. About what I have been through/going through... doing this is my therapy.
This time last year was complete denial for me, I was still quaffing the cheap vodka back even though my insides were turning to mush. I know definately that if I hadn't spent that time in hospital, I would probably be a statistic by now. I needed a serious kick up the backside. Now its just a shame that it got so far that I have lasting damage with this darn neuropathy/aching joints/itchy skin. I do feel alot better and stronger now...ie. I can walk about half a mile now (I had a mobility scooter for a while...), Im eating like a small horse and putting on weight, I no longer look 7 months pregnant with a poked-out belly button with stick arms and legs. My latest liver function tests are normal and my blood pressure is 80/120 (was rocket high before) and my doctor is happy with me.
Paddyb... go see the doctor, at least for a liver function test... Scary. Yes. But a start. x Goodness me its its 3.08am and Im going to check out the chat room!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Even though I have given up the booze I still like to talk about it. About what I have been through/going through... doing this is my therapy.
Same here! I think it's that way for most of us. I know when I participate here that I am not only speaking to the poster but also to myself.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Zee, it sounds as if you have an incredible testimony. this place is a gift.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome Zee and congrats on your sobriety!!

God bless.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a really powerful story Zee - thank you for sharing it
Welcome

D