OT: Waiting on tornadoes

Old 03-02-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: Waiting on tornadoes

I don't suffer anxiety and I can't imagine what people are going through that do. We know they're coming because we've been told that for the last 2 days. It's sunny, almost 80 degrees, and here comes the wind from the storm front.

I grew up in the heart of tornado alley and saw 1 the entire time I lived there. Now I'm on the outer edges and have seen about 40 of the devilish suckers. I have a photo of one across the river from me, with lightning inside it.

Our river has saved our bacon every time, but that's because they haven't been EF3-5. They can jump a river once they hit EF3, at least that's what I've told by experts. A tornado south of me the other day was a 4, and this storm is supposed to be stronger.

I've been looking at storm shelters or building my own for the last few months. Of course I finally find the perfect one two days ago. I hope I get a chance to install the damn thing. I also hope this turns out just like my flood insurance; I bought it one month before a huge flood but it never made it to my door.

I start to wish the storm would hurry up and get here, then ask myself what the hell are you thinking???

Regardless, I've paid all the bills so I don't leave debt for my kids LOL
Old 03-02-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Chino))) - you and many other friends here have been in my prayers since I heard about the storms. My dad is driving straight into the path they're taking.

I, too, grew up in a tornado alley, but I saw a lot of them. I remember, collecting clothes and food in grammar school for a subdivision that was destroyed 1/2 mile from our house.

Please, stay safe and keep us posted.

Love, hugs and prayers to all who are in the path,

Amy
Old 03-02-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Chino - very sorry you're having to go through this. I just saw a report about Harrisburg, Il & I know many other areas are affected. Praying for all those in harms way. Keep us informed.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stay safe. I grew up in tornado alley and saw my share of tornado devastation and the anxiety of the upcoming storm. Now I live in Florida and watch hurricanes for weeks heading towards us. Neither one are much fun!

Hunker down and be safe!
Old 03-02-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Be safe. My thoughts are with everyone that is affected by this crazy weather.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sending out a prayer for you. Take care!
Old 03-02-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Praying for your safety and for all the folks there.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

You are in my prayers tonight chino.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm in the path of potential tornadoes, bad storms, too. So far so good. My RAS is in the path of the same storm system, so I am concerned for him. Prayers to all of us as we come to terms with what we can't control (in addition to our addicted loved ones)--the weather.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Stay safe please
Old 03-02-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I've lived through 3 fairly big tornadoes and know how helpless you feel. How do you keep out of the way of a storm when you don't know where or when the storm will hit or go when it gets there?

Prayers going out for you and everyone in the path of these terrible storms.

Hugs
Old 03-02-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just tried to call ((Chino)) - went to voice mail, but left a message. Seems the storms may be heading MY way, too, so have all 4 furbabies inside, "safe places" figured out, just hope it doesn't come to that.

Giant hugs and prayers for everyone in the storm's path.

Amy
Old 03-02-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

We're in the clear! Though there are still many in for a rough ride tonight. 76 reported tornadoes so far?!!

Thank you everyone, for the thoughts and prayers!

(((Amy))) thank you for calling! That meant a lot to me

I thought about you when I rounded up the cats. They were fine until the storm hit, then they turned on each other with as much intensity as the storm. Weird!

The funnel went over our business downtown and dropped golf ball size hail, then south of me, then directly above my daughter at her apartment in town with baseball size hail. She got photos of all of it and learned that reckless behavior from her mom *whistles*.

That cell caused damage locally and east of us, too, but as far as I know, there have been no injuries! Roofs and siding ripped off, windows blown out, etc. Lots of people without power.

Before the storm came, I went outside with my eagle feather and prayed the way I was taught. After the storm I stood in the middle of my yard, looked up and spread my arms wide, then shouted a very loud THANK YOU to the heavens.

I've learned what's most important to me, by the things I put in the basement 'safe' spot. My cameras and equipment, photo albums, laptop, legal documents, and my most valued Native jewelry and artifacts I've inherited. From 3300 sq feet of house to just a corner in a 5x10 closet.

Well! Here's the cold front!
Old 03-02-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

We must all be neighbors in a sense. Storms all around. My youngest son lost his home last spring in one. I'm just kind of eyeing the fastest route to a safe place in the house.

Never have been afraid of them since adulthood. With all the storms of life we have lived through, a little 'ole tornado doesn't get to my nerves that much. But I know it's serious and don't want anyone to be harmed or have loss of property.

After last spring's tornados, my husband and I were flying in his little 2-seater, open cockpit plane. Being the roving photographer, I was hanging out the door to get some good shots of the damage, when suddenly.....my camera lens fell off and out of the plane!! My husband was upset that he could lose his license. I started crying because I thought I had killed someone with a falling camera lens. Watched the news that night to see if there were any reports of injury. My husband, the responsible soul that he is, actually called the mayor's office the next morning to report what had happened. Now it's just a funny story!

Be safe out there. Watch out for tornados and falling debris from planes!
Old 03-02-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

(((Chino))) - I'm so glad you're okay. I've just been on the phone with another SR friend who is in Knoxville, she is prepared to take cover.

I never knew about the eagle feather, but have feathers from a friend who has silkie chickens? Think that would work? Heck, I'll stand in the yard with a feather from my feather duster I work with, if it will work

I have to thank you...never knew about Native American stuff until you and ((Laurie)) introduced me, and I am totally enthralled. The spirits kept you and your family safe...that's all I need to know

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-02-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good that you're ok Chino - thanks for checking in - was thinking of you & praying for all in danger.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

(((CO))) - you are too funny, and I adore you

Our forecast is rain and thunderstorms..all furbabies are in the house, but they are scattered. Where we live is in the "country" so no sirens, so I have the TV on and am keyed into any "beeps" about bad weather.

My dad called while I was talking to my SR friend in Knoxville..I just checked the phone app he put on our phones that show were our phones are (hopefully, we are WITH our phones!) and he's at his destination. I didn't answer him, earlier, as my SR friend and I were having a really good "recovery talk", but I'm sure he'll call me back. He doesn't GET this "recovery thing you're on" but he sure does appreciate it and knows how dear my friends are here.

Still sending hugs and prayers to everyone in the storm's path,

Amy
Old 03-02-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by washbe2 View Post
my camera lens fell off and out of the plane!!
I had to search, see if anything similar has ever happened and yes, it has! Last fall, a canon lens fell from the sky and through a residential roof in CA. Some estimates had it's speed at over 200 mph.

I'll be doing some aerial photography this October in FL, and now I'm thinking duct tape might be a good idea haha!

CO, that made me laugh out loud!

Stay safe Amy, and everyone in the path of this system. I can't believe how big it is and all the destruction it's brought.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Though the forecast doesn't show any bad stuff heading our way, others on SR have told me THEY have seen bad stuff. Soooo, I just went and located the cats (dog is in here with me). I told them "if mama says head to the basement NOW, you GET? Got it?" They looked at me with the "whatever...got treats?" look...sigh.

I'm just grateful I have phone numbers, e-mail addresses, etc., for people in the path. SR is AWESOME!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-02-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Glad to hear everyone is safe so far. Will continue with prayers for all tonight.