Notices

Panicking anxious and tempted

Old 03-01-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panicking anxious and tempted

So right now I'm am feeling so anxious I wanna jump outta my skin...tempted to run down the block and buy some wine..I know it will pass and I have support that will keep me strong but I'm feeling weak and vulnerable...thank God I'm not home alone!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hang in there! Do some deep breathing and calm yourself down. Whatever you are anxious about won't get any better if you worry about it, keep that in mind.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Take a few deep breaths. Try to relax. Find a quiet spot & close your eyes.
Tell yourself, these are just feelings, they will pass. I will not buy alcohol which will only keep this anxious feeling going.
Pray to your HP to give you peace. Say the Serenity prayer.
Don't act on emotions.
There's been plenty of times I "felt" like killing someone. But I didn't b/c I know the consequences. Not that I would, you get my point?
Old 03-01-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A highly active person like myself, deep breathing and all that relaxation stuff does nothing for me. I find that if I keep myself busy, the anxiety passes. For instance, save a chore to do around the house for when I'm feeling anxiety. I currently have to wash clothes and clean the kitchen, but I'm waiting until later tonight when I know the anxiety comes around before bed. I'll be washing clothes and making a bunch of noise with all the lights on at midnight, the neighbors probably think I'm crazy lol.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree - you just have to distract yourself with something. Anything to redirect your thoughts away from the mistaken idea that drinking is going to solve anything. We know you can make it through the tempting times - and you'll feel so great when that happens. You'll get stronger every day - it won't always feel like this. Glad you posted about it - you're doing great.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all I'm gonna make it!! Just feeling down And don't wanna disappoint anyone or myself!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

what really helped me, apart from breathing exercises, was realising I was not my feelings...

Anxiety's common to nearly all of us - I tried to think of it as a phyisical manifestion of my mind and body healing...

feelings and anxieties can and do pass - and I gradually learned that I didn't need to drink them away...it sounds self evident but it was a real revelation to me.

you're not alone in this - you're among friends

D
Old 03-01-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks so much d
Old 03-01-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

I learned my breathing exercise in my Pilates class. Breath in slow and deep through my nose, hold for a moment and then slow forceful out through my mouth with my lips a tad bigger than if I were trying to whistle (so you do make a loud blowing sound but it's not a whistle). It HELPS. 10 times and I feel like I want to take a nap sometimes!

I'm so glad you're staying strong!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I am feeling anxious the best thing for me to do is to exercise: go for a walk, go to the gym, whatever you prefer. Put on some music and work the anxiety out. Your endorphins with get going and it helps to clear your head. Alternatively, watch a movie, play a game online (words with friends, robot unicorn attack)- anything to take your mind away from whatever broken record in your mind that is fueling your anxiety. Drinking might relax you temporarily, but in my experience, you'll wake up feeling 10x more anxious. Get through it and it will be that much more power to you.

Ice cream works well, too 16 Handles is the shizzz