Notices

2 steps forward, 1 step back

Old 03-01-2012, 04:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 steps forward, 1 step back

Ive posted about this before (blog #1), but Ive had anxiety related insomnia since my last big drinking binge 45 days ago. Realizing the anxiety was caused by my alcoholism, and wanting to finally live my life...I quit drinking for good 32 days ago. At the time I was physically unable to fall asleep, so my Dr. gave me Ambien. Ive tried basically every night over last 30 days to sleep "naturally" only to resort to Ambien. I take 5mg, which is a lower dose.

I ran this all by my doctor beforehand...I am determined to wean off the ambien, so I took 2.5mg of Melatonin (first time) last night instead of Ambien 2amish. It did make me feel sleepier than usual, but it seemed to fire up my sleep anxiety almost to what it was during 1st week sober. I would try to sleep and have bad anxiety & get mini panic attacks. I cant face a day without any sleep at all, so I took my usual 5mg Ambien about an hour ago. (again, I ran this whole plan by my doctor beforehand, she didnt recomend it per se, but said the 2 drugs wouldnt conflict)

Anyways...every time I take strides forward in my recovery...going to 1st meeting, got a sponsor, commited to make 90 meets in 90 days, making the daily calls, started working the steps...every time I move forward, my sleep anxiety is there to slam me back again.

MY FEAR - it wasnt the Melatonin or being over-tired that cause my sleep anxiety to rage last night, it was Ambien withdrawal due to 30 days of continued use.

MY HOPE - I was already very tired (true) and the Melatonin made me more tired (true) so the anxiety I felt was simply due to being super-over-tired.

I WOULD TAKE - the sleep anxiety was because I am still adjusting to life after alcohol & add that to being over-tired = mini panic attacks at sleeptime.

Im not asking for medical advice...but, if you have tried various methods to deal with newly sober anxiety driven insomnia...Id love to hear about your personal experience. Ive already drastically changed my diet for the better since I got sober & I take a 2.1mile brisk walk each day. Being tired is not the issue at all, haha.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This isn't easy Shane...Nobody said it would be...But neither is drinking yourself to death...and I worked a long time doing that...You say your doctor didn't recommend your plan...per se?...That's why they are doctors....Talk to him/her again...Tell them what's going on...Maybe they can tweak it....But you have to listen to what they say...Normal sleep will come in TIME...You're doing great Shane....Just keep moving forward...
Old 03-01-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
...You say your doctor didn't recommend your plan...per se?...
I told Doc that I wanted to quit/wean off Ambien. She said she didnt work with herbal remedies so couldnt speak about Melatonin use. So when I asked about taking Melatonin instead of Ambien, then if it didnt work (like it didnt last night) taking ambien on top of it...after checking her medical quides, she said, "well I wouldnt recomend that, but they wont conflict each other in low doses & you wont be at risk of anything besides being extra sleepy". Her plan is for me to start on Zoloft 25mg for the depression/anxiety & otherwise stick with Ambien till I dont need it. Neither gameplan I am too comfortable with. Im holding off on Zoloft as I try to even-out naturally & I dont like the listed side effects...but may concede if I have another night or 2 like last.

Thx as always Sap. You always got my back and I appreciate that.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Sapling - I'd run this past your Dr.

I really have nothing to suggest - I didn't take any meds or supplements in my case - I just assumed that sooner or later I'd find a 'normal' sleeping pattern, and I did - I hope you will too Shane

D