Notices

Dizziness

Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dizziness

Anybody else get dizzy while sobering up? I've had this dizzy feeling since about 6pm, off balance, feels like I'm gonna fall over if I close my eyes.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had that feeling last night...I just llaid on the couch and itt passed in like an hour
Old 02-29-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ughhhh this sucks. I laid down and it feels like I'm on a row boat in the middle of the ocean.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please see a Dr if you feel concerned or it's impacting upon your quality of life, guys.

D
Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's not to the point where I can't walk, it's just annoying. If it's still around tomorrow morning I'll go to the dr.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Today I felt better...still anxious and can't sleep but none of that dizziness today.I see the doctor tomorrow about the rest
Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The insomnia lasts a while usually. Your body has to get used to falling asleep without the help of alcohol. Day 4 tomorrow for you, day 3 for me!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Happy sober thursday !!!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Before I gave up the drink I had those episodes all the time, more alcohol would ease it up, but would just continue the problem. It has gotten better for me at 5 months now, but I need to see a doctor to rule out other (maybe physical) causes.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hear you Scolova. I remember having a dizzy episode in my last attempt at sobriety and after a few beers it seemed like it "sobered" me up (as weird as it sounds) the dizziness went away. This time I'm a lot stronger, not going to give in. Just gonna have to suck it up for the time being.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I hope you can stay sober.
Mine also get worse with stress and anxiety; January into February my mother was in the hospital and I was stressing-out with everything going on. I noticed while waiting for the elevator that when I heard it coming to the floor I would get that dizziness\wobbly leg thing.. crazy as if I were already in the elevator. I was generally fine otherwise although driving kicks it in sometimes too.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scolova View Post
I hope you can stay sober.
Mine also get worse with stress and anxiety; January into February my mother was in the hospital and I was stressing-out with everything going on. I noticed while waiting for the elevator that when I heard it coming to the floor I would get that dizziness\wobbly leg thing.. crazy as if I were already in the elevator. I was generally fine otherwise although driving kicks it in sometimes too.
I am seriously the exact same way. The anxiety throws my dizziness into over drive, legs get weak and I can't turn my head quickly or I'll feel like falling over. Has that gone away for you now?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Not completely, but much more manageable (& like I said, still haven't seen doctor about it) I think re-hydrating the brain is a very important part of our recovery for this, plus I really should start exercising more. I got up in our attic yesterday to drop\run TV cables down through walls and got that feeling a couple times when I got frustrated... I came back down and rested a bit (calmed down), went back up there and was OK to do the rest. I've tried checking my blood pressure during those times and at least that seems normal.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eh1988 View Post
I am seriously the exact same way. The anxiety throws my dizziness into over drive, legs get weak and I can't turn my head quickly or I'll feel like falling over. Has that gone away for you now?
I used to get that when I drank....All alcohol driven for me...Alcohol would drive my anxiety into over drive...Which would lead to the dizziness...weak legs and the fear of passing out...I could be in a grocery store....shopping mall....Walking down the street....Didn't matter..You're on what? Your 4th day...You should be close to out of the woods....It's different for different people...We all let alcohol kick our ass to different degrees....They detoxed me for 5 days and I slept through the whole thing...Missed all that fun....But I was foggy for the next couple weeks...I think that was more from the drugs they gave me...Sounds like you have gone through the hard part...No sense to going back to drinking now....That crap all went away for me...
Look at it like this...you just spent 15 rounds getting pounded by the best prizefigher in the world....You're sitting in the locker room right now and the exit sign over the door is just coming into focus....Payback's a b!tch. You seem like you are ready to give this stuff up....I'd recommend you try an AA meeting...If you've tried it before and didn't like it...Try it again...I didn't like it either when I first tried it...I was still in round 10....When I was done I went in with more of an open mind....Actually listened this time...I like the fact that this program deals with anxiety..depression..anger...fear...self pity...self cenertedness...Self loathing...Self everything...I needed a lot of work in those departments....I didn't need anything from my doctor for any of those things...Just getting honest with myself was enough. So...Do I want to get back in the ring with that prizefighter?....You'd have to tie me down on a table and pour that stuff down my throat for that to happen....If you are totally against the AA way...At least try something....Because that prizefighter is in training as we speak. Hang in there and good luck to you. It does get better...A lot better.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support. I woke up the earliest I have in a LONG time this morning. It really was such a good feeling I almost broke down and cried, Waking up completely sober, feeling good. The dizziness was gone this morning but I'm sure I'll get some dizzy spells here and there for the next few days. Today is actually day 3 for me. As for AA, I've been to a meeting before and it was ok, so I'm not completely against the idea. Once I feel comfortable getting out of the house (out of my comfort zone) I will check out another meeting, I want to get through the rest of the weekend sober first. I feel like I'm doing fine on my own for now but I know I'll need some type of support in the future.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sometimes you have to get out of your comfort zone to get better...Look what staying in your comfort zone has got you so far.