Notices

Does anyone else get anxious at specific times in the day?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober is Better

Does anyone else get anxious at specific times in the day?

I'm only 22 days in but it seems like every day after lunch during the week i get super anxious and fidgety, like i used to get when i was excited to get off work at 5 and drink. So much that i cant focus on work. Being on here and reading what everyone posts up helps to relieve it but sometimes i think that maybe its my disease trying to pull me back in.... soooo frustrating. anyone else get this kind of thing? Calling my sponsor is not an option because im hourly, but a short silent prayer session to myself seems to help. Also being able to sneak a few texts out to AA friends calms me too. I just want this to stop.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober is Better

Ill be fine in the mornings but the afternoons are still like this...
Old 02-29-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, my anxiety is predictable. Like clockwork. When I pay attention to what I'm eating with an eye for keeping my blood sugar stable, it's better, esp in the afternoons/evenings. (Which is when I would normally start drinking)
Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I always get Anxious and panicky between 1230-2 ish and it lasts for at least 1-2 hours!!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

When I was binging 2-3x week I would start to feel anxious and edgy in the afternoons. Thankfully, if I didn't act on it, I was ok by dinner time. That hump was hard though. Chamomile tea is calming - maybe you could try starting with that right after lunch? Along with a good quality calcium magnesium that also helps to induce calm. I'm all about holistic healing (which obviously is not the answer for everyone).
Old 02-29-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Im around 8 months sober now. I notice mine comes and goes from time to time. On the days I have its usually first thing in the morning or right before bed. I get weird breathing sensations, feel like somethings wrong when its not, get dizzy, etc.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I've been feeling that way for the past couple of hours. Jumpy, anxious, like I'm about to come out of my skin. I can't really predict when it's going to happen either - it just comes out of the blue. I have to lie down sometimes when it happens and catch my breath. May sound weird, but I also color when I feel like this ... coloring gets me out of my head and gives me something to focus on besides the anxiety.
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have a tendency to get in these really happy/hyper moods and that is normally when I would head off to the pub. Usually around 4-5 in the afternoon is when they hit. It isn't everyday but usually 3 times during the work week. I try to let them pass on their own but lately I have made sure I have something to do most days after work whether it be working out, or just errands. By the time 7-8 rolls around I have forgotten about it (mostly). It definitely has gotten easier (I am a couple days pass 60 minus one slip).
  # 9 (permalink)  

Biggiyslimm I get that breathing feeling like something wrong thing before bed ...sometimes so bad I am scared to even try to fall asleep
Old 02-29-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

try some candy or chocolate or pistachios.....

focus on a simple pleasant thought.....say the serenity prayer
Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Take deep breath in through you nose slowly..really breath in deep. and breath out forcefully, but slowly, with your lips slightly bigger than if you were trying to whistle ( you will make a hissing sound but not a whistle sound). I do that 5-10 times when I feel anxious. Making the noise when doing it helps to distract as well as getting all that fresh oxygen deep into your lungs. This really does work for me. It may work for you too!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Usually after lunch around 2, I think it might be the food. Feel like I need a beer to calm my nerves before going back to work. And then also around bed time I get anxious, not exactly sure why, I think I have an inner fear of being alone.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

The weekends have always been a little harder for me than most days. But there are some days that I roll out of bed with that "switch" flipped, literally the first thought in my mind being a drink, and those days are the worst, even with the tools I have at my disposal now.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I definitely had that problem the first few months. We're so used to our routine & it's hard at first to redirect our thoughts. I felt really strange towards evening, and on weekends. I was very sorry for myself on Friday afternoon. It was stupid, because all drinking brought me in the end was misery and danger - not fun anymore.

Glad you wrote about this - it's perfectly normal, and it will get better as you go along.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My witching hour starts at about 2PM and doesn't stop until around 4:30, I don't want to drunk during those hours but I definitely get ants in my pants.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

*drink....not *drunk

lol
Old 02-29-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

mine is usually around the time I go to bed, because of the factor of wanting to drink in the middle of the night since I was a nite shift worker and man... was nite shift not a good mix for a recovering alcoholic. the nite shift caused me to drink even longer then I use to because I'd get up at 4pm head to the liquor store (when I wasn't in that night) and start pounding back by 5pm (and not eat because I was focused on drinking) then drink straight till 6am the next morning telling myself it was my night time. But I get anxiety around bedtime and sometimes have to drink warm milk and pop a aspirin in me because sometimes when I get too worried my chest muscles tighten so when I take a pill it soothes it causing it not to hurt or tighten.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
<3 RB u saved my heart <3

ugh i feel ur pain. mine starts right when i wake up because i cant stop thinking of the many things i have to do.i usually end up procrastinating a lot of my day away because of it,creating a worse problem of having the same growing list without any progress.im trying to break myself of that.it isnt easy for me
Old 02-29-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I thnik my anxious feeling is from my body digesting after I eat. I try to get outside and take a walk to get my system going