Notices

Day 3 (for the 1000th time)

Old 02-29-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 (for the 1000th time)

Day 3 ( Wednesday) is never the problem.Its day 6(Saturday) thats always the problem.Been getting wasted on weekends for 30+ years.I spend half of my life recovering from these weekend binges.There is very little social pressure for me to drink.I don't hang out with people who drink.My girlfriend doesn't drink.I work in an alcohol free environment.Its just pure addiction.I need to get through this weekend without drinking.The cravings get real strong early Saturday night and nothing feels better than a few shots of vodka,and then instantly I feel at home.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi ozzy, I'm a high-functioning repeat offender. Those weekends are HARD WORK. It's not just the pattern for me; it's the fact that there are just so many hours to get through. I mean, in the week you're at work until late, so if you can get in the house and eat you're safe, pretty much. But Saturday just goes on and on, hour after wonderful hour that I just want to fill with booze.

So what can you do this Saturday that's going to take your mind off it? I mean, if you went to the cinema (sorry. movie theatre or something) you probably wouldn't knock back a stack of vodkas, right? Have you tried stacking up a bunch of things, one after the other, that're going to take you into the night? It doesn't sound like drinking is going to make you very happy...
xx
Old 02-29-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're right about so many hours to fill.Its easy when I work because my whole day is planned from when I wake till I go to bed.I'm going to try a movie for Saturday night. Thanks :-)
Old 02-29-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cool, and no worries. Good luck, and let me know how you get on?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is hard.

You have to break the cycle though. Get through the first weekend and each subsequent weekend will be that much easier.

I'm coming up on weekend #38. It can be done.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi,

Perhaps an aa meeting would help. You don't have to join but you could listen and hang out. Very hard to drink during a meeting.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tippingpoint View Post
It is hard.

You have to break the cycle though. Get through the first weekend and each subsequent weekend will be that much easier.

I'm coming up on weekend #38. It can be done.
Exactly. Just do whatever you can to get through this weekend. Just this one! Is your girlfriend on board? Maybe she can help distract you?