Notices

New to forums

Old 02-28-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to forums

Ok, I'm 28 years old, and over the past 6 months I have been experiencing intermittent symptoms of fatigue and I noticed a tightness/slight pain on my right side. I do have elevated liver enzymes. I feel strongly that it is due to both my high alcohol intake on the weekends (20 units), and the fact that I eat a lot of high fatty foods as well.

At any rate, I have been able to cut down on my alcohol intake slightly in the last couple of months and I have been eating slightly healthier as well, but I feel I need to completely cut out my alcohol consumption for an extended duration of time to allow my liver to heal itself.

Today is the beginning of my second day without alcohol. Today, I experienced moderate fatigue that got worse as the day went on, and I had a feeling of tightness below my ribcage on the right side.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Keep it going and get a check up with a dr. My body use to be full of pains from daily drinking and my blood pressure was high all the time.. took a month or two and I saw a big difference. I know it's tough not drinking, but being sober is much better overall.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Radio)))) - Welcome to SR!! I do suggest you talk to your dr., be honest about your drinking. Alcohol withdrawal is hard, and it can cause a lot of problems...it's even fatal for some people.

When I first came here, I read a lot of threads...found out a lot of information and found out I wasn't alone.

There are many people who have been through, or are going through what you are.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-28-2012, 10:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Scolova, If the pains do not subside over the next several days I will definitely check up with a doctor.

I am very much, however looking forward to being ache free, and I feel by eliminating the causative agent (alcohol) my body will start to heal.

It will be nice knowing that I am no longer trapped and controlled by this drug.

Thanks so much for your reply and support...
Old 02-28-2012, 11:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, radiowave!

Good for you for making this decision! I tried cutting back on my drinking off and on for years - it usually didn't work for very long.

I was tired and unmotivated right after I got sober, too, but it got a little better every day. Be patient with yourself - it takes time to heal the damage we've done. Glad you're here - it's a great place!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome radiowaves

I agree with the advice here - why not see a Dr anyway? be safe and put your mind to rest

D
Old 02-28-2012, 11:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Impurrfect and Artsoul! I feel that by surrounding myself with people in similar (or were in similar situations) it will help me overcome the demons I am currently battling.

I think I can stop drinking, and I will report my progress to you guys consistently. Thanks for the support.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome radiowave...I think the doctor idea is a good one....I had a little experience with what you are going through. I drank for more years than you have been alive...And I can tell you...Not only will your liver get better...You''ll save yourself years and years of misery and destruction that alcohol will bring you as your problem progresses. And it will progress. My advice to you...You want to be ache free?...Put the plug in the jug.....Find some kind of plan......Take whatever action ineeded for such plan...And save your life while you're young....This disease will bring you to your knees and cost you everything you have if it doesn't kill you first. Take it from someone who knows. Wish you the best...
Old 02-28-2012, 11:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by radiowave12 View Post
I think I can stop drinking,
Might as well ditch that attitude too....While you're at it....And get busy.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

plug in the jug sounds good to me after that exposition. Thanks Sapling.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
So it goes

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
You want to be ache free?...Put the plug in the jug.....Find some kind of plan......Take whatever action ineeded for such plan...And save your life while you're young....This disease will bring you to your knees and cost you everything you have if it doesn't kill you first. Take it from someone who knows. Wish you the best...
Sapling, those are wise words. I wish you had been around for me a few years ago.
Radio, these guys are right, stop the drink, if you think you have a problem , you have a problem. It is hard to admit it to yourself, but the reward you get from doing it is great, and beats the descent into the abyss that booze offers
Old 02-28-2012, 11:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

(((Radio))) - I lurked on SR for probably 2 years...thought it was a GREAT place, but I wasn't ready to end my using. I didn't log on until I had 6 months clean...working on the "recovery" part.

TBH? I thought quitting was the hard part. I still would like to see you check in with your dr., but AFTER we quit? That's when the work comes in. There are all kinds of recovery programs..mine is some of AA, some of family, and a whole lot of SR. I just had to put as much energy into recovery, as I used to put into getting the dope.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy