Notices

Day Ten, reality, responsibility--the dentist

Old 02-28-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day Ten, reality, responsibility--the dentist

It's embarrassing, but I hadn't been to the dentist in two years. I couldn't keep track of pacing for a while there. Good days were for catch up, bad days were for treading water. The two were about 50/50. No time to make an appointment, no chance of making it, etc.

Then there were the late night crashes without brushing-let alone flossing. (Sorry if this is TMI).

But today I had my teeth cleaned! I have to come back in a few months, but I did okay. I made a vague excuse about the past couple of years and absorbed the very slight chastisement.

I've kept up with mammograms--I'm not crazy--but I have all these other medical appointments to make and keep. One of which will be a new GP I can talk to about this little problem of mine.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm functioning! And boy am I.

On another note, I am bargaining with myself a little. Maybe I can have a glass of wine after thirty days (you know the drill). All of my experience tells me that isn't true, but it keeps happening. So I keep my little new life coin in my pocket and hang onto it whenever I find myself struggling. Trying to build a new pattern. Have an urge, clutch the coin...we'll see.

I hope all my SR pals are happy tonight. Happy, sober, and healthy. Hugs.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

nice post. I have an unbelievable fear of the dentist. one time a few years back I was so nervous at my hygiene appt that they offered me laughing gas.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Missy - I have a terrible fear of medical appointments. Maybe we can support each other through the anxiety associated with them. You're a step ahead - I've made No appointments but sit here and fret. I guess in a morbid way it replaces fretting about alcohol.

:horse
Old 02-28-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Missy, I absolutely LOATHE the dentist. During my teens, my parents never took me for visits so my 20's and beyond, I reaped the consequences. I live in fear of every dentist visit ... they have to give me nitrous and novocaine just for CLEANINGS! I'm a wimp! But at least you're going! Will be with you in spirit ... glad you're making good choices for yourself.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

doesn't matter how well I floss or brush either. that frickn' dentist is always pointing out crap and giving me the guilt trip.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Thanks for posting, Misty. It's awfully nice when our heads get a bit clearer and we can start doing all the "normal" things in life. I'm glad you brought up the dentist. Trust me, it could've been much worse. I neglected my teeth for many years while I was drinking, and I basically had to get a whole new grill in 2010. Not only could I not make appointments and keep them when I was drinking, but I didn't even try when it came to the dentist. I thought the anxiety alone would kill me, waiting for the appointment and worrying about what the dentist would say regarding the condition of my teeth and necessary procedures to fix them.

Not only that, but they were so bad I wouldn't even smile fully at people. Now I give everyone a really big smile. Obviously because I got my teeth fixed, but also because of the happiness that I can now barely contain. Life can be awesome, if only we would get out of our own way sometimes.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Recently went to the dentist to have a crown procedure, and because I get so anxious they gave me nitrous. Wow, did it trigger me! While on the gas, I decided I wanted to drink again, was planning to call my drinking buddy after I got home, the whole nine yards! So scary. After my head cleared i was able to get a grip, but I was triggered for days afterward. I will never use nitrous again.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'll bite - I went to the dentist for the first time last December for a cleaning since....1991!

My teeth are great but my last experience with a filling was the single most horrific of my life!
Old 02-28-2012, 09:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Thanks for that StPeteGrad, I was thinking in my mind 2 years.... oh boy, that's nothing...

Glad I'm not one with the record so far on this thread.

And no, I'm not going to mention the last time that I went.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

And thanks Missy, maybe I'll make an appointment.... <shiver>
Old 02-28-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yay Missy! I have a cleaning appt in two weeks for the first time this millennium Not so excited about it, but then again, really excited about it

Sorry I messed up your name the first time
Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Okay, so to fess up, I only made the appointment because in a fit of post-alcohol hygiene, I flossed off a crown. So it's not like I was a saint or anything.

I'm really interested in how many of us are afraid of the dentist...and btw, at the prior appointment with the crown I didn't have any anesthesia--despite careful drilling. And today, the hygienist actually said to me--you have a little tissue loss. Dr. may want to do a graft. It's not too bad, and you get Vicodin. Like a prize. Hmmmm
Old 02-28-2012, 10:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
Okay, so to fess up, I only made the appointment because in a fit of post-alcohol hygiene, I flossed off a crown. So it's not like I was a saint or anything.
LOL! What's with that vicodin comment anyway? Like it's a cookie or a gold star or something!
Old 02-29-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
instant

M7. We can all drink any time, for any reason. It is normal for us to have these thoughts when we stop drinking. I think it helps to put these type of thoughts into some kind of category. I don,t argue with them, I just try to see them for what they are.

I am still doing back taxes!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 03:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

another thing about the dentist is that you can hear the procedures going on in other rooms. and the smell...
Old 02-29-2012, 04:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Well there you have it. One who braves the dentist sober can brave anything sober.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just the word "dentist" makes me cringe. I keep up but even a cleaning gives me anxiety for days before. I have a lot of trouble with my teeth and I hate it! By the way, my teeth have stopped the constant aching since I quit wine. They still hurt now and then but not constantly. A big bonus!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

my dentist retired 3 years ago....i need to start with a new guy too.
(and i have full insurance so there is EXTRA shame)
Old 02-29-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ha, funny to read this, sort of. Last year, after my huge medical crisis(diabetes, liver diasease, etc...) I stopped drinking, and began to lose weight, and went to the dentist. it was part of my addressing the diabetes. Oral hygeine is key. i was *terrified.* I had been phobic for many, many years and not gone. I found the nicest dentist who met with me, listened, counselled me through, and I had all my fillings updated(they were all over 35 years old). I cannot believe I had that work done! I also had alot of sensetivity treated with sealing/bonding, so my mouth feels so much better.

The word dentist just about would make me throw up and i would sweat thinking it. Now I really love my dentist!

I have fallen off the wagon, but still have maintained a 50+ pound weight loss(it was 60+) and I do need to go to the dentist. I am due for a 6 month visit now.

Getting back on track with your health is very empowering. I need to remember that and how great I felt a year ago.