Notices

This crap is unreal

Old 02-28-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This crap is unreal

OH LORD I DONT WANT TO DRINK IS THERE ANY ONE OUT THERE WHO WANTS TO CHAT BOUT THE SUCKINESS OF NOT DRINKIN
Old 02-28-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Of not drinking? I love my life so much more now that I'm not drinking.

How long have you abstained? It gets better. Today is an investment in tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

REJ, when you're living in the depths of hell, it's hard to imagine another way. When I first decided I would get sober, even though my life sucked BIG TIME, I couldn't imagine living the rest of my life without alcohol. Now that I've got 60 days under my belt (minus one slip), I can't imagine a life WITH alcohol. Your perspective will change but only IF you decide to quit. You have to want a life without alcohol more than you want a life with it.

Whatever you decide, we are here for you. Welcome.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Plenty of people to talk with here REJAG22
Have you been looking for support offline too?

D
Old 02-28-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The day I realized I didn't HAVE to drink was the greatest day of my life. PERIOD.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

It really sucks at first! Then things get better, trust me.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Sounds like untreated alcoholism to me. What program are you working in recovery?
Old 02-29-2012, 01:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by REJAG22 View Post
OH LORD I DONT WANT TO DRINK IS THERE ANY ONE OUT THERE WHO WANTS TO CHAT BOUT THE SUCKINESS OF NOT DRINKIN
for some of us, alcoholism affects us when we're drinking but it hits even harder when WE'RE NOT DRINKING.

If you've got a drinking problem.....then not drinking is your answer.

If you've got alcoholism, "not drinking" is a good start but, for a chronic alcoholic like myself, "not drinking" doesn't make my life better. All the time in the world spent "not drinking" doesn't make me feel ANY better either.....

Alcoholism, for some of us, is with us for life. It never goes away completely. What we can do though, is get free from the effects of it......provided we stay on the "recovery path" so to speak. Step off the path and all that garbage starts to come back at ya.......even though you're still "not drinking."

AA talks about alcoholism being a 3-part illness: physical, mental and spiritual. When u drink, all 3 parts "get drunk" so to speak. Not drinking clears up the physical part...which is nice....but it's only 33 1/3 sober. I'd still be 66 2/3's "drunk." More drunk than sober (even though I'm not drinking") = I'm still suffering from alcoholism. Get some clarity and recovery in the other two areas and you're good to go. Yeah, you've got to maintain it too......but it's way worth it.

From what you've described.....you may be the same type of alkie I am. Just know this..... sobriety/real recovery is awesome......it "feels good" just about all the time. If that's not what you're getting.....it's time to find out what you're missing/not doing, make some changes and get to where you're happy.

One thing I've seen over and over is if you're not enjoying sobriety.......we WILL go back to drinking, eventually. Sticking your head in the sand, crossing your fingers and hoping it'll just get better with time could be the biggest mistake you could ever make. Maybe you need more (like me) than just "not drinking."
Old 02-29-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Coming off another weekend bender, lying in the emergency room, raving like a lunatic, questioning my own sanity...THAT crap was unreal! So glad those days are behind me
Old 02-29-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

If you can find a way to fully embrace a new way of being it is easier. I do not miss the torment and misery of drinking.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Stopping drinking was the best thing I've ever done, life has meaning now and things do fall into place it just takes time.Things will improve dramatically for you if you want it bad enough.

Best Regards,
Jessy59
Old 02-29-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Not drinking does not suck. AT ALL!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by augustwest View Post
Not drinking does not suck. AT ALL!
Sorry, can't agree with that for a second.

Untreated alcoholism, which affects you ONLY when you're not drinking (but not recovering/recovered) has been as painful (if not MORE) than drinking ever was.

If "not drinking" treats your problem August, that's awesome. It doesn't, however, treat chronic alcoholism in the slightest.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

i agree with that.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

i agree with that
Old 02-29-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

^^^^^^^

thought we were on the same page..... prolly shoulda pm'd you.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

yeah we are for sure. i thought about typing out a response parsing my statement and what about it rings true to me, but it ain't worth the trouble
Old 02-29-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It surely does suck when you don't want to drink and view not drinking as something to be avoided.

Have you come up with a 3rd possible avenue?

One thought is you know what the drinking life is like for us obviously, and you've now read comments from people who know that not drinking is the way to go.

So reasonably you can understand that there exists the possiblity that it may not suck for you too, provided you're willing to do things to get better.

The decision then becomes if you will settle for what you know is awful and getting worse with time, or if the better choice is to get busy seeking to live better.

If you take the latter course you too might be trying to assure someone like yourself who is blind to their own possibilites in a very short time.

Your call, of course. You have every right to stay on your present path, I only ask that you please stay out of my neighborhood when you're out of your mind.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Editor

Yes. It sucks that I dont **** my pants any more or puke randomly or walk around half dead at work wondering WTF happened to me. Hiding from cops. The guilt. The self loathing. Yea....I miss all that!
It aint a perfect world. Is it fair that I am an alcoholic.Nah. But I am and Thank God I figured that one out. Life is actually.....Life now. Not survival.
I pray that you find peace
Dave