Notices

No Motivation

Old 02-28-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No Motivation

I just have no motivation to do anything.

The minute I get up I just long to go back to bed, even though I can't sleep I like being curled up in my quilt in my own little bubble.

I have so much I could do but all I do do is lay on the sofa thinking about what I should or could do. Then I say to myself, ok, in 10 minutes I will do this and in 2 hours I am still there.

So fed up. Sorry had to rant.

I'm miserable, lazy and boring when I am sober.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

May be it's time to talk with a doctor about it? Generally speaking, it takes some time for the "fog" to lift. If it doesn't start getting better, get to the doc. You'll be just fine.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can totally relate all I wanna do is watch crappy tv under a blanket on my couch....it took everything in me to go to the grocery and gym today but as hard as it was I am proud I did!!
Bonus didn't buy wine at the grocery
Hope you feel better soon!!
Old 02-28-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is there an AA meeting in your neighborhood? That would lift your spirits.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 02-28-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sharzy it takes awhile to feel better. After all we've put our bodies through, we need time to heal. You'll get there - and you are not boring.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have meetings and doctors tomorrow, It's nearly midnight here.
I know it's going to take a while, I guess I'm just impatient.
I am in bed now which is my favourite place to be. Really just want a good day, hopefully tomorrow. Thankyou.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I remember feeling absolutely wiped out for the first couple months - exhausted from all the struggles. All my energy & enthusiasm returned, though.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You sound just like me, and I'm not an alcoholic/addict.

The only "solution" really, is "fake it til you make it" and try making lists, i.e., "To Do Today"...it will get better though.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know that exact feeling and I get it often.

I don't feel like getting up and I also don't feel like sitting there.

The best thing you can do is make yourself complete one task. Once you start, you will probably start getting into it and that feeling will go away.

I actually had that feeling about ten minutes ago. There is NOTHING on tv. I could start a diatribe on how crappy programming is. But I know I just need to turn it off and do something.

So, I made a salad for dinner and started some laundry.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh, I know the feeling, Sharzy.

I don't know how long you've been sober, but I know about the lethargy, fatigue and depression in early sobriety.

I'm thinking give it some more time, your mood will slowly lift. Also, be a little harsh to yourself, give yourself a firm deadline for doing a particular task... and stick to it. Even if it's just taking a walk around the block.

When I'm depressed, I feel doing something productive is a good releiver. As just an example, looking at your avatar, maybe you're into photography? Whether you live in the suburbs, the city or out in the sticks you can always find great motives. Just guessing here of course, my point is a hobby can do wonders to get you active.

Wish you the best. You'll feel better.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For a long time, my "to-do list" was yesterday's to-do list, then the day before...I NEVER got anything done. Now, things are somewhat better. I have days where I do absolutely nothing and I have days where I go-go-go all day getting things done. I'm realistic enough at this point to realize that it's gonna happen...I'm going to have those days where I just need to lay around and rest. And you know what? That's ok.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thankyou all, Yes I do need to get a bit tough and make myself do things, 17 days sober today but still feel so low. I know it will get better.

and yes Polaroid, I am a photographer, I took that picture on my avatar a few months ago, but even the urge to go out with my camera has gone at the moment. I even went and bought another camera last week and that kept me happy for about 2 minutes. Bad!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Everytime I go on a sober "streak" whether it's a week, or a month etc..... I get like that. I have to take a couple days off work because I seriously can't even get up to take out the trash. It sucks, but it does go away after a few days, hang in there! I'd rather hear about you being lazy for a while, than to still be drinking. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't know...Maybe I'm a freak or something....But I wanted to stop drinking so bad.....Because I knew what it was doing to me...And had already done...that when I got out of the clouds from the drugs they gave me from detox...I put everything I had into learning how I was going to stop. I decided on AA and I read the Big Book till my eyes hurt...When my eyes hurt...I listened to AA speaker tapes...There are 1000's of them online...I was going to three meetings a day...8:00am..12 noon and 5:30pm...It gave me somewhere safe to go ....And I was learning and meeting new sober people while I did it. I did this for my first 2 months...I continued to do at least 2 meetings a day for my third month and I had done the steps with my sponsor by the 90 day mark. I had the tools I needed to live the way I should be living and I had the obsession to drink lifted..As promised. The one thing I learned by doing this...Is if I kept myself that busy...I learned to sleep normally....when all I had ever known was how to pass out drunk. So..I guess the point I am making is....You have to do...What you have to do. If I had done it any other way...I wouldn't be here right now.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

about two-three weeks of being sober my energy level plummeted. I was wiped out by early afternoon and could barely get home, it seemed. now at two months I'm starting to get some energy back.