Notices

Sober again for 4 days, but now trying to get off Klonopin.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober again for 4 days, but now trying to get off Klonopin.

Hi SR,

It has been a while since I was in the forums. I joined about two months ago the last time I got sober. I was sober for 45 days but dealing with daily anxiety attacks. I was originally prescribed Klonopin 0.5mg and a beta blocker for withdrawals, but then just started using them for my anxiety. Now I'm sober again and attempted to just taper off the Klonopin myself without a plan and its not working out. Having anxiety issues, and yesterday had this weird heart Arrhythmia that I've never had before. Saw the Dr, EKG was fine, she attributed it to alcohol and Klonopin withdrawal. Going to the Dr today for more Klonopin and hopefully he'll give me a solid plan to taper off them. If not I'm considering going to a psychiatric hospital to see a psychiatrist immediately for a professional plan on how to deal with all of this. I'm so stressed, my anxiety (even when not having an attack) is through the roof. And I'm extremely depressed. Playing video games, hanging out with my super supportive girlfriend, friends, just don't excite me. I seriously feel like I'm stuck in a dark hole and there's no way out of it. I need some guidance, and reassurance that I'm going to be alright. I'm hoping a psychiatrist can give that to me.

Anyway, just wanted to post and let everyone know where I've been.

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey. Sounds like you have a great plan.

I'm still dealing with anxiety and have been sober for 15 months. All I can say is that even though I still have issues, my bad days are a 5/10 when before my bad days were 10/10 when drinking and using benzo's.

Seeing your dr is great but working a plan to stay sober from alcohol should be your #1 right now.

Take care
Old 02-28-2012, 02:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Xyphen
I'm glad you're sober again and getting some professional advice

I try never to sugar coast my experience - it was hard for me to reach a state that I called normal & it took a lot longer than I expected it might...but weighed against the 20 years I drank and drugged it really wasn't that long, and I was grateful I didn't have to do it alone

I've never regretted it, no matter how hard some of the parts if the journey were or how long the journey ahead sometimes looked - I know you'll look back and think the same Xyphen

D
Old 02-28-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Nirvana and Dee. It is good to be back. Combining alcohol and benzo was the dumbest thing I've ever done. Now I'm back to square one but not only do I have to get off alcohol, now klonopin too. I never want to do this again. I won't ever drink again.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Be verrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy careful with the benzo withdrawal. I take up to 3mg. Per day, and have since late '94.

I tried this summer at a hospital, and STILL almost had a stroke.

They tried to do it in four days......

My psychiatrist told me he tapers his patients off over roughly six to eighteen months, depending on dosage and length of use.

I look at it this way.....I am prescribed them by my doctor, I take as directed, never wanted to abuse, never did.

They help with my anxiety and sleep.

I figure, leave well enough alone.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Rex
Old 02-28-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Rex, I've been on Klonopin for about 2 months. My plan to taper off them is to take 2 for 4 days, 1.5 for 4 days, 1 for 4 days, .5 for 4 days, then stop. 16 days tapering off klonopin, but today I am making an appointment to see a psychiatrist who may or may not approve of this. I just have no other options, getting an appointment with a psychiatrist within a week is almost impossible I've found. So I'm trying to do what I can. I'm hoping that since I've only been on Klonopin for 2 months that I'll be okay.

But SR isn't for medical advice, I'm just stating my plans. I posted elsewhere for medical advice. Thanks for your input and support.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just stating my personal experience.

The "verrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy careful" part, however, I would heed, which, of course, you are.

And, I'll issue this with a disclaimer.

"in my unprofessional opinion" , no, I do not think you will go through my severe experience.

Just follow your doc's professional advise.

you'll be fine.

Rex
Old 02-28-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Xyphen, so glad you are back. The benzos are rough, I was addicted to xanex for awhile. Good job on working with the docs.

You will get it straightened out. Just don't give up.

God bless.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

xyphen.

Welcome back, and best wishes to you.