Notices

What will it take to make me stop?

Old 02-27-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post What will it take to make me stop?

I keep trying to quit boosing but I go like 3-4 then I pound 20 miller lights on the fourth day... I get panic attacks, and the only thing that seems to stop one while its happening is beer... but beer causing my panic attacks.

Even when I am not having anxiety... when that third or fourth day hits, I want a beer like a vampire wants blood... I can not describe it.. I feel like im jumping out of my skin... is there anything you can do alleviate that feeling? Running helps temporarily... I also find sleeping hard too when Im sober. Sorry I just felt like I had to bitch...
Old 02-27-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

You. You is what it will take to make you stop.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like you might have a dependency on Alcohol. The good news is that you found a website that can help you deal with it. Stick around, keep posting and reading. We have all been were you are, it does get better.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know what you mean, hang in there.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Sounds like you want to stop but detox is messing with you. I'd suggest going to a dr who deals with addiction (there is most likely an addiction recovery hotline or info center in your area that can point you in the direction of one). And get some help detoxing. May as well make use of all the things available to help you quit.

There are others ways to address anxiety which will also help you stay quit.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You know the answer even if you don't want to hear it. You are the only one that can stop it.

I know what you mean - I was in the cycle of every 2-3 days with my drinking. I would get drunk, spend the next day hungover saying "no more!" then the next day or day after I would feel good again and celebrate by drinking. But almost 60 days sober (minus one slip) it feels good to feel good again.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I had to change what I was doing. Get to a meeting, hang with sober people, eat something not compatible with beer (like ice cream), journal your feelings, but please change what you are doing!!! If we keep doing what we've done, the results won't change!

You are worth sobriety!!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Poodlegirl View Post
You know the answer even if you don't want to hear it. You are the only one that can stop it.

I know what you mean - I was in the cycle of every 2-3 days with my drinking. I would get drunk, spend the next day hungover saying "no more!" then the next day or day after I would feel good again and celebrate by drinking. But almost 60 days sober (minus one slip) it feels good to feel good again.
That is EXACTLY what I do. I also find that caffeine makes my urges 50 times worse, and its so hard to not drink coffee or redbull at work.

I guess if I just dont go out to the bars or parties I might be able to make it a little longer?

thank you for all the replies
Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

OMG, your name totally threw me off, lol. I was like "i didnt post that.......oh wait that name has an 's' haha"
Old 02-27-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FlyerFan View Post
OMG, your name totally threw me off, lol. I was like "i didnt post that.......oh wait that name has an 's' haha"
haha thats weird, san jose tomorrow!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

We aren't having a very good season this year, but hey we still got baseball coming up! lol
Old 02-27-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It threw me off too. lol.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

i had to finally be so sick of it all that i was willing to do anything to stop living that way. oddly enough i reached that place long after the jail, prison, rehab, destroyed finances and relationships. the end for me was pretty anticlimactic.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Idiot!

20 to zero is a big jump. I tapered off over a few days and it didn't hit quite as hard. I used to give up on day 5. Loads of times. Funny thing was after that "worst" time it git better and a bit easier.

All of the above is if you can't or don't want to get medical advice which would of course be better.

Stu.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Meow

Threw me off too! lol I was like hunh? on the two threads popping up at the same time.

Flyersfan, panic attacks are caused by your thought process. They are a fight or flight physical response to what your brain is thinking. If you can find a way to control the thoughts (deep breathing, distraction, meditation) then the panic attackes should subside. Beer definitely isn't the answer. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome FlyersFan

I think a lot of us experience panic attacks when we quit drinking - I think most of us find generally things will get better eventually if you don't pick up the drink again...I certainly did

If you find things unbearable tho, I recommend seeing a Dr - it's always for the best

Support was very useful and helpful to me too - so it's good to have you here

D
Old 02-27-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ive been having panic attacks since early college... Being hungover causes me to still get them for some reason. I have told the doctor about my drinking, She told me to go ten days without drinking and see how I feel on the tenth day... problem was I only went 3 days before i crashed...

No one else has problems with caffeine intake and urges for drinking? I couldn't find anything else online about it.

Matt
Old 02-27-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Are you attending AA meetings ??
Old 02-28-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Are you attending AA meetings ??
I have been to a couple in my area... it seemed like 80 percent of the people in there are teenagers and just sit there and smoke cigarets.... It did not do much for me, got the book and everything... The guy that lead us was very nice

Maybe they are not for everyone? I am just trying to take this one day at a time
Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have some wonderful news for you. Once you quit drinking there is a very high possibility that your anxiety & panic attacks will greatly lesson for you.

I had major anxiety for many years & found that my anxiety almost went away (not general anxiety... thats always there ;-).

Some of my worst anxiety & panic attacks were the day after drinking.

All of the best & keep posting.