Recovering alcoholic GF

Old 02-24-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovering alcoholic GF

Hey,

I have been in a relationship with my GF for about a year and a half now, she was just a few months sober when I had met her, (she has struggled with drinking for the past 10yrs) but she was still using weed to fuel her addiction. 3 months ago she was arrested for possession and this was her rock bottom. She decided to stop using all together and has faithfully done so thus far and I am really proud of her, she has also went back to AA and is working with a great sponsor who seems to be very wise. Since her sobriety things have been very up and down physically and emotionally. from my understanding of the situation this is her trying to find out exactly who she is. More and more recently she has become very distant with me, she usually has no problem talking over the phone, but when it comes to getting together she is very quick to change her mind several times about us getting together. She also tries to avoid most real conversations that require any depth beyond the every day typical talk. I am going to al anon on a regular basis and reading a lot of literature on alcoholism. I have found some comfort in doing this and plan on continuing to go and study, however it has become more and more difficult to work with her when the answer to a lot of situations is to get angry and upset with me or point out all of my wrongs in the situation. I want for her to continue to be successful in her recovery and I know there is nothing that I can do to further that. I do want to feel like I am not always being avoided though and would like to know if this is regular behavior for someone in her position?
Old 02-25-2012, 02:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yes, it is normal. i wouldn't take it personally. she is dealing with a lot of different emotions that she previously numbed with alcohol or pot. her focus needs to be on her recovery. best to give her time and space.