Notices

Day 5 of Pain Management

Old 02-24-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 of Pain Management

This shingles thing sure is a tough SOB.

I woke up at 7:30 this morning in incredible pain. I thought there was no way I'd be able to manage without the narcotics. I took 2 advil and the morning dose of gabapentin and just waited for relief. In about 10-15 minutes the started to ease to workable level

Two hours later I took 1/2 vicodin since it was getting hard to see and the pain was finally more than I could handle. The vicodin dulled it back to the point that I can deal with.

It's 4:30pm. Took a noon dose of GP and nothing else. I can deal fine with only a dull ache.
My goal is to make it the rest of the day with only advil and bedtime dose of GP.

I'm posting this to journal how I'm trying to avoid developing dependence on pain meds. When it's all over we'll all know whether it worked or not.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there brother...It hurts to even read that thing...You know the routine...This too shall pass.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

dude i hope your feeling better soon. stay strong.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there. I'm sorry about the shingles. They have gone the rounds at my work and they are no joke. I hope that you have it under control and that it stops pretty soon. Good for you trying to go without pain meds, and I don't know what your DOC was, but I might think letting your pain get too much might be a pretty nasty trigger.

Take care of yourself.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
I think letting your pain get too much might be a pretty nasty trigger.

Take care of yourself.
That's what my counsellor said too. I haven't had that happen - yet. I'm just trying to balance pain vs. management. My wife says my face is starting to look better so hopefully it means it won't get worse.

I know so many people that became addicts for overusing pain meds when they had legitmate reasons for using them. I know I have that potential. It's also the reason I went to my primary care doc who knows ALL about me. I even go to AA with her husband.

Thank you all so much for your support and kind words!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hope you heal soon, StPete.... I think you're doing great and being very cautious - you have the knowledge and support to get through this!