coming home

Old 02-24-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

coming home

My son comes home from the 1/2wh in another week.
He will have counseling at the hospital complex. He has been asked to come back for the NA meetings of course. He will be attending the Recovery Program weekly which is the supplement to IOP. He is attending the alumni day each week and has been asked to volunteer at the hospital for new admissions.
The facility is 1 1/2 hours from here. With school work online and the Gym membership also he should keep very busy. I understand that work is not in the picture for a while yet. I am looking forward to him being here. I could not say that in the last many many years. I am working hard on my issues and will let him be the grown man he is.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

CTG, best wishes and support coming from this Mom for you and your son. I too need to start treating my son like a man. I still call him "my baby" which drives him kookoo!
Old 02-24-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh I hear you Ilovemysonjj, I have always answered the phone when I know it is either son calling with the baby names I gave them at 3 years old! I now say something like, Good afternoon Son. I have asked my son to tell me what he needs or does not need from me. He said he would and we were all good. He has been home for a day and half each week for the last three weeks and I understand it is not a great deal of time, but it has been very good. I was so scared a month ago for this day, now I am so hopeful and ready. Guess we all needed time.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Pray all goes well for you and your son!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I tried to be upbeat and made a small joke on our 5 minute phone call last evening about if he had a the paper chain going till the days to come home. Son said, No not really, in a very calm voice. I pondered this all evening. Maybe he was not ready to come home? He calls on lunch saturday's as it is down time between volunteering. I asked if he was ready or did he want to stay there another month. That we were not forcing either way or choice. He said, Yes a month would be very good for him. He said he had been discussing it with the counselor already. Since he would be going back about 4 days a week to do assorted things there anyhow.
We are very supportive of this being 100% his choices and though hard for me to understand why he would rather be there, I am not the one needs to make the choice. I am sure he has very good reasons.
SO in a month I will hopefully give the update of son coming home.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can understand why he would want to stay another month: fear of failure. He knows he can't fail in a completely structured environment and I think it's a very good sign that he recognizes he needs more support before he is ready to tackle it on his own. If you can afford it, I would allow him to stay as long as he needs. Most people need 90 days minimum (to allow the brain to heal) but few can afford that luxury.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is a safe, controlled environment.

I'll bet would also crawl back in the womb if he could.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

tjp613,
I was looking for a a thought from someone such as you said, that this is good sign. I did not know, this is all a learning experince for me as well. He can leave the 1/2 wh anytime he wishes with the guys that have cars there. Many go to town daily to do what ever they want. One fellow left and OD a few weeks ago on a day pass. Ended up at the hopsital and is now back in the house. Yes you are correct it is a luxury to stay there, we are private pay. But in the end this is far less then the years of enabling cash I funded And of course a far better cause.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

REJOICE!! That is wonderful news! A person not wanting recovery could not wait to get out. Great news in my eyes.