Notices

Your Recovery Plan...

Old 02-24-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Your Recovery Plan...

I've only been on this site a short time...Been going to AA meetings for eight months now. Worked the twelve steps....Maintain what I need to do in that program to stay sober...I'm grateful to say it works....If you put the effort into it. I imagine that is true with any method.
I see so many people come on here.. tell their horrifc stories....And then blindly stumble along alone....Might post here for a little bit...And then they are gone...I see that in AA too....People just don't put the effort into it. They know it's destroying their lives...Most likely ending them....And they just don't commit to something that is probably the most important thing going on in their life at that time. Living....or dying.
I think if I was as hopeless and helpless as I was when I knew I had no control over this stuff...And I stumbled onto this site...Looking for help...The first thing I would do is start reading as much as I could about what is working for people...Much like I did when I went to my first AA meeting...Who here gets it?...What did they do?...How did they do it? I think I was so full of questions when I got into AA...I probably freaked people out. I wish I knew about this site when I was on my first week...Dry. Cause I sure as hell wasn't sober.
I wouldn't be asking if I should go to this party or that bar...I would have known the answer to that if I had to make a thread to ask it. I'd be asking...People like Terminally Unique....How does Rational Recovery work?...What should I read?...What threads should I read? Any audio tapes I can listen to? Other websites I should know about? Any other books to go with it?...This guy would be sick of me by the time I got done with him...And I bet he'd love every minute of it. You have a wealth of good sobriety here from AA...Way beyond me...I learn as much here from these sober ladies and gentleman as I learn in meetings...The point is...I'm learning...I'm moving forward without drinking. If I don't know something...Ill ask...If I think it's a stupid question..I'll send a Private Message...You people ask...How do I get a sponsor?....You have a whole website full of them...These people will steer you in the right direction
I guess the point I'm getting at...Here is a resource of people that have done what you want to do...Use it...I see a guy like Shane put up a post...When did you start the steps?...That's music to my ears...This is somebody trying to move forward. I see one that says How bored I am...Or how am I going to fail this weekend?...I have to wonder. How bad do you want it?...Is it important to you?
I'd love to hear about your recovery plans...Maybe someone will see something that will save their life. Isn't that what it's all about?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My plan is a lot of SR time and a weekly session with my fantastic addiction counselor. (she likes animals - what's not to like?)

But the biggest part of my plan for living sober involves my three dogs. The three I have now have never seen me drinking. Their care has always been impeccable, unlike the slipshod care I sometimes gave my three dogs I used to have. (for which I will always feel guilty)

Focusing on the care I give my dogs makes me keep myself in good shape too, or I couldn't take good care of them. And I get my reward each time I look at them: shiny, happy, and healthy.

SR is like a 24/7 lifeline. A meeting if you will. There's always someone here any time I need sober company.

I can't say enough good about my counselor. She's had her own battles with addiction and understands it perfectly. She doesn't take any bs, but is a very gentle soul. And what's more, she's an animal lover like I am. She has a horse! So she understands the importance of my dogs in my recovery.

With this plan of action I've been able to stay happily sober for over two years now.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post, Sapling, I admire your intensity and tenacity. My recovery plan involves SR as the center. I was searching on-line for help and this was exactly what I needed. I post my feelings and I don't have to worry what anyone thinks of me and I always get helpful responses and support. I've also started a diet and exercise plan and I know alcohol is one of the reasons I'm overweight. Focusing on my health is a great incentive to me. Walking has been a saving grace. I think, pray, plan, breath fresh air, and come home feeling new. So far, I don't feel I need anything else to succeed but if I do, I'll be proactive about it.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My Recovery Plan:

AA- finally decieded to look for new Home Group with mixed feelings, and, get through my step 3 slump

Employment- it's time, self esteem is in dire need of a boost, thinking of an easy 'get well' job to start

SR- love this place, just now starting to explore it, going through the vaults

Move- the "Bunker" was great for isolating, time to change that, it's a deep issue

Buy Roller Blades with Daughter- wish me luck

Fall in Love...someday
Old 02-24-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

today my recovery plan involved cutting back trees - good for my sense of accomplishment, good for my soul to be outdoors, good for me so I don't fall over outside trying to get past the damn things....and good to remind myself it's not something I could have done in the bad old days

D
Old 02-24-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

One of the cooler things I've noticed about this site is that ppl CAN and DO ask questions. Lord knows I was looooooaded with questions when I was getting sober but I was too afraid to ask ppl in person. Add to it, I didn't want to get into a two hour conversation, didn't know who to trust had the right answers, and sometimes wasn't even sure of what my questions really were.

Here though, behind a keyboard......and a whole lot more anonymous......I see new ppl are a lot less inhibited to ask those questions. To try to answer them is one of the main reasons I hang around here - trying to help ppl who are in the same spot I was in.

As far as recovery program.... AA. Practice incorporating all 12 steps into each day and the time racks up.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The principles of AA
I can always find ways to improve myself and things to work on.
Talking to my sponsor regularly.
Learning from my sponsees.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The principles of AA
I can always find ways to improve myself and things to work on.
Talking to my sponsor regularly.
Learning from my sponsees.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When dealing with some heavy stuff in high school, depression abuse, etc. My counselor said (in reference to pulling yourself out of a dark place), "you gotta wanna."

God, I hated that phrase for both its poor English and simplistic sentiment. Upon reflection, though, it is quite true. Quitting anything, smoking, drinking, overeating, will never work unless you want to. Really want to.

Not just, boy this isn't fun anymore. You have to decide that the pleasure of the substance is outweighed by your desire to quit. In my opinion, until that time you shouldn't even make the attempt.

I had this opinion before jointing SR, but then I was pointed to RR resources. Reading "rational recovery: the new cure for addiction" filled in the corners of my own resolve, exposed the weak points in my plan, and gave me the perspective of living my life as someone who doesn't drink ever.

Finally, SR was a big help in the beginning, and even before the beginning.

How many of you out there now, "lurkers" who read but are not members, are drunk right now? I remember sitting in my hotel room, guzzling wine, reading SR and feeling like crap about myself.

That can all change, but first "you gotta wanna."
Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm attending SMART and LifeRing meetings and treating my mental illness. And I am not drinking or using. That's all right now.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zxcirce View Post
I'm attending SMART and LifeRing meetings and treating my mental illness. And I am not drinking or using. That's all right now.
That's good to know zxcirce...I haven't seen many people on here talk about those programs...If it wasn't for the fact that I owe my life to AA and it works...You'd probably be getting sick of my questions too.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I don't know how someone on the outside can guage how badly another person want's sobriety or not. Or how much effort they are putting in.

I've been at this recovery thing for awhile, and I've learned a lot about myself. Including the fact that even though I was as honest as I was able to be when I started, I am much more able to be honest now. I mean, I did what I could with the skills I had, my skill level changes.

Each of us has our own backround and reasons for our addiction. The playing field isn't level. Some people have a wicked bad genetic predisposition, or are on drugs that are more physically addictive than others. Or live in a situation or family where they are pressured to use. Some people don't have internet, or a car to get to meetings. There were people in my NA group who couldn't read.

I'm glad the solidly sober folk are where they are. I have no idea how much time or effort it took them or takes them to maintain their sobriety. I have no idea what caused the light bulb to go on in their heads, or what resources or support they had.

It's a process.

I hear in AA people are often reminded not to take other people's inventories, or does that not apply to people who aren't sober yet?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

I like that Threshold. We do what we can with the tools we have. As we progress further into recovery our bag of tools will expand.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I really have no formal "plan". I got to the point where I realized that my nearly 30 years of drinking was taking a mental and physical toll that I just couldn't take any more. So I quit drinking. I told a select group of friends and family members about my decision and their words of encouragement have helped. I also joined SR and check in almost daily. I always find something here that helps me on my nearly three year sober journey.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

I think the particulars have to be customized to the individual but I feel strongly that a viable recovery plan needs to be holistic. how we choose to address our physical, emotional, and spiritual needs is up to us.

I do the 12 steps, Buddhist meditation and study, exercise, good nutrition, proper sleep, yoga, AA and NA meetings, SR, and plenty of laughter and live music.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
That's good to know zxcirce...I haven't seen many people on here talk about those programs...If it wasn't for the fact that I owe my life to AA and it works...You'd probably be getting sick of my questions too.
I did AA for years simply because I didn't know any alternatives. It's a good program! But I needed something more. Finally found it, feeling myself grow and expand and understand more than I did before. It's pretty sweet.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I really like learning about others recovery plans. I read & post on SR, I read & use some of the WFS core principles, I use some of AA's core principles, I read the Big Book. Physically, I walk at least 4 miles 5 X week & do 2 yoga classes per week. I make sure I do not get super hungry. I try to listen to me~at any time what am I needing? Rest, food, love? Am I working too much? Am I not allowing others to be responsible for themselves? I make sure to be honest always now & keep up on my amends. Don't allow others to take advantage & walk all over me. All of this is a work in progress of course, with varying degrees of success on different days!

Another part of my recovery is being much more orderly at home. Things go so much smoother if my house is clean & organized, & it is critical with 4 elderly dogs in the house. (2 more outside doggies). Simple stuff. Dishes done daily, bathroom wiped down & makeup & products put away. Clothes picked up and put in laundry basket. Bed made. Kitchen table cleared. These things make sobriety more rewarding too as I can see it. No more getting up to a trashed kitchen due to some drunken cooking escapade. No more searching for keys, bills, phone, etc...having an orderly home makes a tremendous difference.

At the very basis of my recovery plan is the humbling acknowledgement that I am powerless over alcohol & with alcohol my life is unmanageable. Now, all things are possible for me. My gratitude for this awakening will never end.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Sapling
I'm grateful to say it works....If you put the effort into it. I imagine that is true with any method.
So true, the world is replete with individuals that have overcome considerable adversity. One thing that is common with all these people is they had a exceptional plan and they put that plan into action.

My choice in addiction treatment plan matches my personal needs to be recovered from an illness that had me, at one time on, my knees begging for relief. I was out of options in active addiction, so I concluded I needed options to get out of that hell hole. I thank my lucky star that there were plenty of options to choose from that would bring me into a state of wellness.

My addiction treatment plan and diligent practice includes a select portion of each; SMART Recovery, CBT, DBT, AA open meetings, principles of secular spirituality and a few other healthy endeavors that are helping flourish in life.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Nice MsJax...Just curious if you worked the 12 steps...You have one down...Looks like a good plan.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Zencat...You sound like a man that is not taking any chances...I like that.