Notices

Very interesting article

Old 02-23-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very interesting article

I was browsing the web and I found this. I think it's very interesting. I hope, for my sake, that this is true. Makes me feel much better. I'm posting something positive for once. Being negative on this forum will help nothing.

The Truth About Chronic Relapse and How it Affects Recovery from Addiction
Old 02-23-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

For me, chronic relapse was a major sign of untreated alcoholism. My new solution was in the steps of AA.

Great ad! Thanks for sharing, this may help someone else!!
Old 02-23-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
All the things that made me "feel better" about what I was doing to myself and others just kept me in active addiction longer. For the record, some of the things stated in the ad as "fact", are not. It's good that you are reading, but keep an open mind and have an awareness of marketing techniques.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree soberlicious. Seems to me to be a way to convince someone who's been thru treatment many times to go spend their money at this facility......

disclaimer: they don't call me cynical for nothin'.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to like those ads - they made me feel better...relapse is a part of recovery? hey I was *this close* to recovery then!

but...that line of thinking doesn't get you to where you need to be....it just makes it ok for you to keep making the same old mistakes, over and over, IMO.

Relapse is a part of active addiction, suic. I learned that the hard way.
You'll know you're in recovery cos you'll be clean and sober and happy about it

The same old thing just gets you the same old thing.
Make some changes, suic.

D
Old 02-23-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's a rehab where you work the 12 Steps...You can do that on your own..
Old 02-23-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The 12 Step Program

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having worked in licensed treatment centers, we have observed that most chemical dependency treatment centers give out Big Books and talk about the 12 Steps. However, due to length of stay and other factors, rarely does the client ever WORK all 12 Steps!

Mark Houston Recovery Center residents will have a completely different experience in their three-month stay in our Recovery Center:

Month One
Residents experience and work Steps 1-3 and begin working on their 4th Step

Month Two
Residents experience and work Steps 4-9

Month Three
Residents experience and work Steps 10, 11 and 12

Having had a spiritual experience as a result of this Step work, our residents will have a foundation leading to permanent recovery.

Building relationships in recovery

All of our staff have extensive experience in working the Steps and are able to transmit that experience. Our residents are exposed to 12 Step meetings seven days a week and begin to build relationships in 12 Step recovery during their stay with us.

We believe the 12 Step approach is essential for lifelong recovery from the disease of alcoholism and drug addiction, and we also believe the 12 Steps are only part of the solution for the true alcoholic/addict.

Discovering a new spiritual and practical path

In addition to working all of the Steps with their mentor, residents will be taught numerous life skills and practices crucial to their recovery, including: money, career, goal setting, organizational skills, nutrition, physical exercise, meditation, impulse control, communication skills, giving back to the community and their families, and spiritual laws which impact how they have been living their lives. And last, but most importantly, they will develop a personal relationship with their Higher Power, a relationship which promotes inner peace and a sense that all is well.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did mine in three months and it cost me a buck a meeting.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
This takes the purveyance of misguidance to a whole new level...
"For some of our residents, chronic relapse is a part of their recovery." ?!!!?!!!?!
Old 02-23-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Terminally Unique
This takes the purveyance of misguidance to a whole new level...

"For some of our residents, chronic relapse is a part of their recovery" ?!!!?!!!?!
yep yep and all in the name of the almighty dollar. This kind of stuff bothers me. I've talked about it in other threads, but it's like preying on the desperate. Snake Oil...I don't know...just creeps me out. Maybe it works for some though... I have my doubts.

"Chronic relaspe is part of recovery" is music to the beast's ears LOL
Old 02-23-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What they do is feed on families who have kids that are too lazy or not interested in doing the steps and have been in and out of AA for years...Nothing a good sponsor couldn't fix...For free..
Old 02-23-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow. I had no idea this was all bullsh!t. You all say it is. That's capitalism for you I guess. Makes me feel like a worthless failure tho. I know drug/alcohol addiction ends in death. I've known that all along. My problem is that death has always been my ultimate goal. Just like my idol, Jim Morrison.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

;
Old 02-23-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What they are selling isn't Bullsh!t...The fact that they are selling it is ********...You can go to an AA meeting...Find a sponsor...Start working the steps and stop drinking...For nothing....All you have to do is get honest with yourself and put a little effort into it...This thing works...What's the holdup with you trying it?
Old 02-23-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to say death was my goal too suic - until I nearly did die.
That tends to sort the BS out pretty quick.

I bet Jim Morrison didn't want to die at 27.

You're not a worthless failure - you're exactly like I and I bet everyone in this thread was - you're on the fence between 'geez, I need to quit this crap' and 'oh I'm not really that bad'

you need to decide which side you want to be on...I know it's terrifying but keeping on in your life the way it is now is not going to get any better.

You really are better off acting sooner than later.

D
Old 02-23-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suic
My problem is that death has always been my ultimate goal. Just like my idol, Jim Morrison.
oh please...
Old 02-24-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Working at holiday takes a toll on one's sanity sorry.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah - not being snippy, but drinking does that too suic - I remember.

D
Old 02-24-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm just so overwhelmed with EVERYTHING right now. Work, school, my future, my addiction, my health, my sanity, I feel like I'm gonna explode I dunno what to do. I need a shrink badly, some one to talk to. Some one who I can share my pain with. Some one who can keep me level headed. Because I don't know what the F I'm doing. no medical insurance. I've been trapped in a lonely, private Hell for years and years. My only solice was using a bottle or a drug to relieve me of that loneliness I felt. But ofcourse that led me down an even worse spiral. I just never had any one to talk to when I felt bad. I bottled it up and it got worse and began to decay my sanity
Old 02-24-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

... but im going to find a meeting tonight. absolutely