Rollercoaster of emotions

Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Rollercoaster of emotions

I'm engaged to an A. I guess I had always known there was an issue with his drinking, but he had convinced me time and time again that it wasn't an issue.

He is currently in medical detox and is set to get out tomorrow. I don't know how I feel about him being out in the free world so soon.

So how did he end up in detox? This past weekend he went on a bender and drank insane amounts of alcohol. Even 12 hours after he stopped drinking he still appeared to be drunk. But now I know he was drinking the entire time while I was asleep. He became belligerent and threatened to kill himself. The cops were called and he was taken to the hospital. His BAL was a .375 and they were surpruised he was still breathing!

He decided to go to detox because he knew he couldn't stop without help from the doctors. I've seen him shake and sweat a few times in the past.

Now he's set to get out tomorrow and I am having all of this anxiety. The trust in our relationship is broken. When I go to work will he drink again? Why is this time going to be different? He's made so many promises and has broken them all.

I'm happy he has taken this step, but all the lies anger me and I'm not sure I can move on and ever trust him again. Any advice on how to deal with this would be much appreciated.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Giggly,

As much as we want to help the addicts in our lives. We have no power to stop them from drinking. We only have the power to save ourselves. I would recommend that you attend Al-anon meetings because there are people there who understand what you are going through, and will help you heal.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Hi and welcome to the SR family!

Please make yourself at home by reading, ranting and posting as much as needed. We are here to support you, and we understand what loving an alcoholic feels like.

At the top of the forum page are older, permanent posts (called stickies) and they contain loads of wisdom. Some of our stories are also in those sticky posts.

One of my favorite - is about how to help your addicted loved one. It has steps that I followed. Following those steps helped me find a better way to take care of myself and allow the alcoholic to take care of themself.

Here's the link:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html
Old 02-22-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Linkin Park Enthusiast

You don't ever know if he is going to drink. And chances are, even if he is, he is going to lie to you. But you will know when he does. They think they are hiding it, but they aren't. Go by what he is showing you, not by what he is telling you. Period.

Whether or not you want to stay with him is your choice, and I am there myself. I do not trust my boyfriend at all, and he knows it. But he is trying. Is it enough? I don't know. I guess I will either stick with him, or leave him. Either he will recover or he won't. Time will tell.