Notices

New boyfriend has "drinking issues" - What's a girl to do?

Old 02-22-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New boyfriend has "drinking issues" - What's a girl to do?

Before we event slept together, I had to pick up ABF from a bar (more like rescue the other customers really) and take him home. It was a Saturday night, and we had planned to have a romantic dinner together. A friend needed my help that night, so I was a few hours late. I let him know in advance, though, and he said, “Take your time. I’ll be at the soccer bar having a beer.” By the time I arrived at the bar at 8 p.m., he could barely stand up, was slurring his words, peed on a car outside the bar (!), and was so loud and obnoxious, the patrons gave me the most grateful look when I finally convinced him to let me take him home.

I'd never experienced anything like that before! Why did he drink so much? And so early? Was he nervous because he thought we would sleep together that night? Did he forget to eat? Was he dealing poorly with his dad having been recently diagnosed with a serious illness? I puzzled over ABF's behavior with friends for a couple of days, pondering every scenario and thinking that one "serious talk" would take care of the problem. After he and I chatted the following Monday and he sort of apologized (he didn't remember any of it, he said), we continued dating. About a month after the first "episode," he got into a fight with my two best friends at a party. Again he was wasted. He kept repeating himself and was rude and loud. The next day, not only did he not remember what he had done, but he was also upset that everyone at the party must have "overreacted."

There have been a few – two to four – repeat performances, all garbled versions of the same scenarios described above: he doesn’t eat, he drinks too many drinks too fast, and he becomes someone else – someone I don't like very much. He can go weeks without drinking. He can drink one drink with a meal then stop. He can pace himself when he wants to. He NEVER EVER drinks when he’s going to drive. When he drinks in my presence, he is funny and a bit clumsy at worst. But when he’s been drinking and I catch up with him later, he is a disaster – slurring words, making no sense whatsoever, repeating himself, peeing on cars and buildings, trying to be funny with strangers and coming off as a lunatic instead. I’m surprised he hasn’t been kicked out of the corner bar on multiple occasions for being mean to other patrons.

I’ve also learned that his alcoholism is likely – how do I say this? – compounded by family history, traits, genes, whatever. For example, he’s told me that on two occasions since we’ve been dating, his dad had to take his mom home after she either fell down or offended a few people at a party. The last I heard was that his mom decided to stop drinking altogether again. Yes, again.

After talking to a few, very close friends about ABF, I’ve been surprised to find that there seems to be, literally, one in every family. And though I find it comforting that I’m not the only one whose boyfriend becomes psychotic when he drinks too much, I am appalled at the extent of the problem in this country and the number of people it affects.

I don’t know what will become of us in the long run. ABF and I have only been dating for six months, and the last two I’ve been out of the country and he’s been studying for the bar exam, which means he’s not drinking at all (or at least not as often as he would had he not been studying). Part of me is buying time, meaning the bad has not yet outdone the good. Part of me thinks I can learn to live with this, learn to detach, and keep an emotional distance because he’s otherwise worth the occasional drunken episode. He’s intelligent, funny as hell, good looking, one of the kindest and most generous persons I have ever met. And then part of me wonders why I waste my time going through the emotional rollercoaster this addiction will surely take me on for many years to come.

Anyway, this has been a rambling post, albeit one that I feel makes my entrance into the recovering community official. If anyone has advice, suggestions, comments, questions, or wisdom to share with me, I’d be most grateful.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome.

Originally Posted by blue76 View Post
Part of me is buying time, meaning the bad has not yet outdone the good. Part of me thinks I can learn to live with this, learn to detach, and keep an emotional distance because he’s otherwise worth the occasional drunken episode.
Please, please, please pop over to the friends and family forum and read about all the heartache that the loved one of an alcoholic goes through. Then tell us you can learn to live with this.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 02-22-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Walk away.
What makes you think you can fix him and why would you want to try.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 02-22-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

It sounds as if he is a real alcoholic. Peeing on cars, blackouts, fights, gulping drinks ect... These are very classic things that alcoholics do when they drink booze. The fact that he can control his drinking at times is something that some alcoholics are capable of doing. But eventually, they go on a bender which seems like your boyfriend is doing.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Run away, it's not worth it. Especially since you've only been dating 6 months and not even been with him for two.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

"...and he’s been studying for the bar exam, which means he’s not drinking at all (or at least not as often as he would had he not been studying)." You weren't there, you really don't know what he's been up to. Has he taken it at all, yet? I drank a lot in college and still graduated with high honors.

Al Anon might help you.

Best wishes,
Old 02-22-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry if I sound like the devils advocate here but how about communicating with him???

Tell him you hate the drinking, peeing on cars, arguing, fighting and that it has to stop as thats not what you want in a boyfriend. This is quite possibly the only life he knows (it was for me) and if he wants to date you it has to stop as its immature and leads to bigger issues down the road. At least offer the guy a chance, but make sure you talk when he's stone sober. If you do it when he's drunk you're gonna have your hands full with an argument.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blue76 View Post
Before we event slept together, I had to pick up ABF from a bar (more like rescue the other customers really) and take him home. It was a Saturday night, and we had planned to have a romantic dinner together. A friend needed my help that night, so I was a few hours late. I let him know in advance, though, and he said, “Take your time. I’ll be at the soccer bar having a beer.” By the time I arrived at the bar at 8 p.m., he could barely stand up, was slurring his words, peed on a car outside the bar (!), and was so loud and obnoxious, the patrons gave me the most grateful look when I finally convinced him to let me take him home.

I'd never experienced anything like that before! Why did he drink so much? And so early? Was he nervous because he thought we would sleep together that night? Did he forget to eat? Was he dealing poorly with his dad having been recently diagnosed with a serious illness? I puzzled over ABF's behavior with friends for a couple of days, pondering every scenario and thinking that one "serious talk" would take care of the problem. After he and I chatted the following Monday and he sort of apologized (he didn't remember any of it, he said), we continued dating. About a month after the first "episode," he got into a fight with my two best friends at a party. Again he was wasted. He kept repeating himself and was rude and loud. The next day, not only did he not remember what he had done, but he was also upset that everyone at the party must have "overreacted."

There have been a few – two to four – repeat performances, all garbled versions of the same scenarios described above: he doesn’t eat, he drinks too many drinks too fast, and he becomes someone else – someone I don't like very much. He can go weeks without drinking. He can drink one drink with a meal then stop. He can pace himself when he wants to. He NEVER EVER drinks when he’s going to drive. When he drinks in my presence, he is funny and a bit clumsy at worst. But when he’s been drinking and I catch up with him later, he is a disaster – slurring words, making no sense whatsoever, repeating himself, peeing on cars and buildings, trying to be funny with strangers and coming off as a lunatic instead. I’m surprised he hasn’t been kicked out of the corner bar on multiple occasions for being mean to other patrons.

I’ve also learned that his alcoholism is likely – how do I say this? – compounded by family history, traits, genes, whatever. For example, he’s told me that on two occasions since we’ve been dating, his dad had to take his mom home after she either fell down or offended a few people at a party. The last I heard was that his mom decided to stop drinking altogether again. Yes, again.

After talking to a few, very close friends about ABF, I’ve been surprised to find that there seems to be, literally, one in every family. And though I find it comforting that I’m not the only one whose boyfriend becomes psychotic when he drinks too much, I am appalled at the extent of the problem in this country and the number of people it affects.

I don’t know what will become of us in the long run. ABF and I have only been dating for six months, and the last two I’ve been out of the country and he’s been studying for the bar exam, which means he’s not drinking at all (or at least not as often as he would had he not been studying). Part of me is buying time, meaning the bad has not yet outdone the good. Part of me thinks I can learn to live with this, learn to detach, and keep an emotional distance because he’s otherwise worth the occasional drunken episode. He’s intelligent, funny as hell, good looking, one of the kindest and most generous persons I have ever met. And then part of me wonders why I waste my time going through the emotional rollercoaster this addiction will surely take me on for many years to come.

Anyway, this has been a rambling post, albeit one that I feel makes my entrance into the recovering community official. If anyone has advice, suggestions, comments, questions, or wisdom to share with me, I’d be most grateful.
Hi

I've highlighted this bit as it really stands out to me. This is what people do who have been with people for years and problems develop over the years. It really isn't something you need to be/should be doing in a new relationship. There are so many alarm bells in your post. If you want honest advice I would end the relationship now before you fall harder/get hurt. If he doesn't realize he has a problem then there is nothing you can do to make him see it. I have been on both sides in this situation-the person with the problem and with a person who has a problem. If I knew then what I know now I would never have continued a relationship with a man like that. It ends in hurt/destruction/damage-usually yours. I know this sounds harsh but there is no point dressing it up as an occasional drunken episode or that many people suffer this-the guy has a serious drink problem-why would you want to be in this relationship. good luck
Old 02-22-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Wow...I couldn't have found better words to describe ME when I was drinking. I was exactly like your BF! I was tame if my GF (now ex of course) was with me, but out with the boys...look out. Everyone would say I am 'Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde' when it comes to drinking. On our first date, I was drunk when she showed up and she said I was slurring and repeating the same questions over and over. Then I insulted her family and friends...I had never even met them haha. Alcohol is a mind-altering drug that really affects normal brain function.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Meow

If I knew twenty years ago what my life would be like with an alcoholic husband I would have run in the other direction. I am still with my husband but think how much better would things be with a man whose first love wasn't named John Labatts.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have to take a look at this from having been on his side....I would do what my ex wife did....Hit the road!
Old 02-22-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What in the world is an "ABF"?

Sounds to me like neither of you are good for each other. Best thing to do is for him to stay away from you, and for you to stay away from him.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Alcoholic boyfriend
Old 02-22-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Sadly, most of his behavior sounds like the beginning of Alcoholism. This disease can and does get much worse. The blackouts get more frequent, amount of booze increase, hygiene issues & the list goes on. He is dealing with a serious disease and will probable need professional help.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pojman View Post
What in the world is an "ABF"?

Sounds to me like neither of you are good for each other. Best thing to do is for him to stay away from you, and for you to stay away from him.
If she isn't going to bother to talk to him about it then its probably best if they both cut ties. She can at least tell him the truth why though so he knows he has a problem. If she doesn't, he'll think its something else and likely tip him over the edge to total alcoholism if he isn't there already.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Imagine a situation that you could not detach yourself from such as a get together with your family where he acted so disrespectfully to your parents or grandparents. I think you would be mortified. I think you need to tell him to stop drinking or you're done and save yourself a lot of heartache.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think you need to look at yourself to determine why you find his behavior acceptable and why you think you can fix him. You need to end this relationship for your own good and seek help for your low self esteem issue. Any woman who would put up with that crap in a new relationship is insane. Please get some help.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I know you are most lilely in love with him and believe you can change him. If it is very hard for you to leave, talk to him and see if you can shake him up. Maybe he is not in all the way. My road to recovery started when somebody actually told me in my face: you are an alcoholic. Before this nobody would tell me and believe me my mind never told me so either. All was normal behaviour for me. Once I was told this it took 5 years to stop, but it set up the red bulb in me to start looking and trying to stop. So I think tell him and see how he reacts. Maybe also go with him to the hospital and make him look at alcoholcs so he can see his fate. If he is not gone complelty and is young you may save him...... This is my opinion as it saved me to hear it from my bf at this time. (Okay I was mad at him etc, but it set me up for recovery)
Old 02-22-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

double post
Old 02-22-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

RUN!
I was that guy, playing it down when my girl was around. but soon those worlds collided and I hurt people.