Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I did it, i actually followed threw with my first AA experience.

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FLA

Well I went to AA which is actually only a few blocks away from me. Anyways I brought a friend and i didn't know what kind of Meeting I was walking into, who I'd see, how old anyone was etc... It happened to be a closed mens meeting. I didn't feel to welcomed almost like a outcast actually. Some stories were funny, some were sad, some sounded like they needed attention. I saw a few people who were probably around their early twenties other than that they were all in their forties to sixties. It was a ok experience I didn't feel uncomfortable and would have no problem with telling my story, if need be. I'm actually looking forward to going to a all sex meeting tomorrow at 12 if I don't sleep all day (running off a hour of sleep in almost two days) . Kinda curious if there's any hot girls in there and if there's anyone closer to my age I can relate to. Anyways I feel like in talking in circles, that was my first experience and I'm proud I went.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great news, FLA! I don't go to meetings but people here say that you usually have to shop around a bit to find one you like. Are you still at your Mom's place or did you end up back home?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FLA View Post
Kinda curious if there's any hot girls in there and if there's anyone closer to my age I can relate to.
Try and remember what you're there for....Good job.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FLA

GirlfromCO, no I came back to the beaches two days ago. I think there's a young person meeting somewhere around here I'll look for. But at least I have something to occupy my time with, whether I like the meetings or not.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah have to second on the focus on the issues that brought you in. I say this from experience of getting mixed into not so healthy of a situation w/a guy in NA a few years ago. But hey man, good for you for going and check around. I think the keeping myself as busy as possible is a big help, it's why I have got to drag myself to find a second job, i volunteer and hit the gym a lot.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How's it been with your roomates and friends so far? Do you have plans for what you're doing this weekend?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FLA

Friends have been supportive we haven't had a party in a week, the house isn't trashed, and they arnt getting drunk all the time.. I didn't realize how much of a bad influence I was lol. But there is going to be parties this weekend that i would like to go to, meet girls, see friends, and have fun. I'm gonna try and drink soda or juice while I'm there, I'll keep it in a solo cup so no one asks what I'm drinking. But hey, I may just go to a AA meeting instead. My biggest problem is that 98% of the girls i hook up with or date I meet at parties. So I'm kinda stuck on how I'm gonna fix that social problem (without drinking).
Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, that's a toughie. What else do you like to do when you're not partying? That might be a good place to start. They say the best relationships are based on a healthy mutual interest.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FLA

Surfing and skateboarding are my hobbies, other than that it was all partying. If I ever relapse it's going to be because I got bored and lonely. So I hope a miracle girl pops up soon who will keep me grounded haha.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lol well then you'd better get yourself together enough to impress her when she comes around!
Old 02-22-2012, 05:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

FLA I'm sure there are a lot of pretty girls at meetings, just be careful. Everyone there is to recover and sometimes other feelings can get mixed up and make recovery more difficult.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

the quickest way to put a turd in the punch bowl of your early recovery is to mess around with a girl you meet in the rooms.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

I was court ordered to AA back in the 90s when I got popped for a DUI. One of the biggest turn-offs to the whole thing (besides having to be somewhere I didn't want to be) was the men who tried to hit on me. I felt like a piece of fresh meat. It was not good.

FLA "hot girls" or any other girl, lady, woman is NOT in AA to be hit on. AA is not a pick up joint! There are a lot of other places at the beach to meet the ladies. Hang out a local coffee shop or cafe during the morning or afternoon.

Congratulations of another day sober!
Old 02-22-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FLA View Post
I saw a few people who were probably around their early twenties other than that they were all in their forties to sixties.
I don't know...Maybe I did it wrong...Maybe I did it right...I only have eight months sober...I'm not sure. But I was attracted to the older members in the meetings from the get go....They looked happy...They talked about being sober for 20+ years...They talked about serenity and how they don't drink.. That's all I wanted...They talked about how they did it...I wanted these people as friends. I earned their respect by showing up and listening...Not looking at girls ankles...I became friends with these people...And I still am. These people teach me how to live....I was clueless in that department. I went in there looking for something to change my life...And I found it. And I worked for it...And I still work for it. It's there for anybody that wants it....What you do with it?.....That's the key.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

In fairness to FLA, he just said he was curious if there were going to be any hot girls in the rooms. He didn't say he was going to start hitting on them. Us men enjoy seeing pretty girls. That can't be squashed, it's biological.

But for love of all things holy don't hit on them! Please. Everyone deserves a safe place to recover. The phrase "you don't szhit where you eat" comes to mind.

We are sick as can be when we first come into the rooms. Any woman that i'd attract under those circumstances was certain to be as sick, or sicker than me. Two sickos don't make a healthy-o.

i had to keep the focus on me and get a foundation in my new life.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by sober4metoday View Post
I was court ordered to AA back in the 90s when I got popped for a DUI. One of the biggest turn-offs to the whole thing (besides having to be somewhere I didn't want to be) was the men who tried to hit on me. I felt like a piece of fresh meat. It was not good.

FLA "hot girls" or any other girl, lady, woman is NOT in AA to be hit on. AA is not a pick up joint! There are a lot of other places at the beach to meet the ladies. Hang out a local coffee shop or cafe during the morning or afternoon.

Congratulations of another day sober!
I second this. It can be very offputting for us women and it might scare us off. You don't want to do that. But I do know several people who have met their husbands/wives through AA so it is possible but it is something you should tread carefully with. Don't push anything.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
FLA

Well first of all I'd like to say I'm not a creeper who just hits on chicks who are obviously not interested. But ya not my intentions weren't to hit on girls in AA. but how cool would it be if I met a girl who has been sober for awhile? That'd definently keep me from relapsing.. And the older ppl in there all seemed depressed and pissed especially after hearing their how their days been going.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Girls were a great motivator to get me to meetings, for many years. Luckily, and happily - the woman I recently married has nothing to do with AA. A friend of mine once said if you're going to go fishing, don't fish in polluted waters. DOH!!!!! I believe there's some truth in that.

Anyhow, in all honesty, regarding that... from the few women I did date in AA, my experience is one alcoholic in a relationship is more than enough. Throw 2 together and yer looking for trouble. It sometimes works, usually doesn't. And it usually only works after people are sober for a while.

But enough of that... whatever gets you to meetings. It's an important place to be. And as others have suggested, go to as many different meetings as you can. They all have different people, different atmospheres, different attitudes... find where you're comfortable and call it home. I think it's also crucial to make sure you get to as many step and/or bigbook meetings as possible also. This was something that was driven home to me in early recovery, and I don't hear it much any more. Big book and step meetings are the meat and potatoes meetings. And although I'm vegetarian who likes to keep my carbs down, I get it. I personally would have never stayed sober had I just been going to some of the more "social" meetings in my neighborhood. While I feel they definitely have their place, experience has shown me that the ones who stay around are the ones that go beyond just finding a bunch of other non drinking people to hang around with. It's about making a change inside, if we want to learn to live happily without alcohol.

Conrats on your first AA experience. Best of luck.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Glad you went to your first meeting FLA. Just remember, no PERSON will keep you from relapsing. It's sort of a dangerous place to be.....I've been there.

Like has been said here, just focus on your recovery and the program of AA (not the hot girls ) and you'll be just fine.

And, hey, not ALL "old" people are depressed and pissed.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Diez de Mayan

Congrats on your first meeting!

Try all different kinds, and you should find one you feel comfortable in.

My home group has a mix of ages.

I met my husband at work and am sooo glad he is not an alkie..one in a relationship is enough..

Keep coming back!