What helps you guys with anxiety?

Old 02-21-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What helps you guys with anxiety?

I want you guys' input on the best way of non-medically dealing with anxiety.

My anxiety problems are not incapacitating (if they were, I would consider medication), they're more on the level of annoying and irritating (which I know is a very good thing, all things considered).

I know some of it is reasoning with myself. I still have this gut reaction that any time AXH contacts me and feels something is a crisis, I go into crisis mode, too. That, I can talk myself out of.

But it's other things, irrational anxieties about things I have no control over, that I would like some good ideas on how to handle.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I suffer from GADs but I meditate and try to laugh at stuff like Southpark but exercise and diet has been the best and just sharing on SR Its been a lifelong problem but life goes on. I feel it now but am going on. drinking didn't do it.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ugh, it's a lifelong battle. I try to remember that the people causing my anxiety are just people, not blood-sucking vampires out to suck me dry (although they sometimes do!).

I exercise, start a new project, CLEAN, and try to get out for a long, exhausting walk. The worst is when the anxiety is bad enough for me to stop sleeping, so I try to exhaust myself so there is no way I can't sleep.

Finally, HALT. If I'm Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired, I need to check out and take care of myself for a few.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lillamy, google mindfulness. There is lots of stuff out there and some of it is free.

The idea is to pay attention to your thoughts and to start to be aware of when you are being triggered. When you notice that you are anxious ask yourself how does this help my recovery or why am I feeling anxious, or even some mantra, anything to bring yourself back into the here and now.

With time I have found that I hardly even notice that I am intercepting these unhealthy thoughts. There are some stronger triggers I have to focus on a lot harder but for most everyday stuff it is pretty much on auto pilot now.

Actually it is probably a good time for me to do another round of mindfulness work as I am seeing a lawyer tomorrow about divorcing my wife and I am sure I will have lots of opportunity to work on my triggers over the next several months.

Your friend,
Old 02-21-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Florence -- I love your avatar!!! Rock on, kitty!

It's at night that it's worst for me -- you know, the witching hour. And I know I've said this before here but it's the dumbest things that appear like Mount Everests in my mind at that point. Things like, "OMG, I haven't filed my taxes yet!" when I've got almost two months to get it done. Or things like "OMG, I have to clean the fish tank" even though the fish are just fine and will, most likely, survive until 6 am.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lillamy, google mindfulness.
Or, I could just read that book "The Mindful Way Through Depression" that has been sitting on my bookshelf since 2009...

bring yourself back into the here and now.
Thank you for that suggestion & reminder, Mike! And good luck with this week. We're rootin' for you to stay focused and calm.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
Or, I could just read that book "The Mindful Way Through Depression" that has been sitting on my bookshelf since 2009...
Yep, that'll work.

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
Thank you for that suggestion & reminder, Mike! And good luck with this week. We're rootin' for you to stay focused and calm.
Thanks for the support.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Prayer usually does it for me.
Over and over again sometimes.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have major anxiety. I use EFT (I like Brad Yates, you can find him if you Google "EFT Brad Yates" on YouTube. I also use aromatherapy, flower essences, and take hot baths with Epsom Salts and Lavender essential oil.

In the middle of the night, I pray and do Reiki sometimes. Prayer usually helps.

Also, the Sedona Method is useful and is just four steps: Invite the problem in, ask, "Could I let it go?" then answer "Yes," then ask, "Would I let it go?" and answer "Yes,", then ask "When?" and answer "Now." It works, but I forget to do it sometimes.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Eat Healthy, Get Enough Sleep and Exercise - I do Zumba and LOVE IT!!!!
Do this over and over again - it works in time
Old 02-21-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I suffer(ed) greatly from anxiety and didn't even realize that wasn't normal, because I had been like that as long as I could remember. I am currently on medication which helps; but still had anxiety. I began taking fish oil about 6 weeks ago, and I can tell that has made a BIG difference!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Eat Healthy, Get Enough Sleep and Exercise
Well, two out of three ain't bad, right?

I need more hours in the day to get enough sleep. *sigh*
Old 02-21-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Avoid caffeine if you drink it...it was a huge trigger for me (to see if that makes a difference). I also found it helpful to allow my self to go "threw" each experience versus running from it. During that time I would remind myself that what I was feeling would pass before I new it (and I did not allow myself to dwell on the current feelings as that seemed to cause more anxiety). Over time, my anxiety is completely gone.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This may sound silly but one thing that helps me is to breathe through my nose. Somehow, when I'm stressed I tend to breathe through my mouth. Once I realize I'm doing it, changing makes a huge difference.

Of course, focusing on your breath is a meditation technique and about as "here and now" as you can get.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for all the suggestions!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Biking, biking...

...and more biking. And, when I can't bike, then walking (I don't run unless being chased by a bear or mountain lion).

Exercise is the key to happiness.

My two cents.

C-
Old 02-22-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I found meditation really helpful on this also. "Full Catastrophe Living." by Jon Kabbat Zinn was really helpful for me (the mindful way through depression is an extension of his work). I also took a class on this and found it helpful.

Recently when I have been anxious and crazy thinking I have been plesently surprised to realize it is not all the time.

I had a support person tell me yesterday a good saying that might fit "What do I need to do right now to help and lower the noise?" The noise can be the voice in my head, the crazy heart racing in the body etc. At least for today I have found it helpful.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Another thing: I try to remember that depression and anxiety are something that happen to me, something I experience, NOT WHO I AM. So when I'm feeling bad and my jerk-brain is like, "You're the worst, and you're ugly, fat, and stupid. Go back to bed," I can think, "Oh, this is the depression talking," and get in my toolbox of coping skills to find something that will work to get me through the day.

I've got this great advice blog I read that has a community of people who comment on coping skills and techniques, and it's been extremely helpful and entertaining.

captainawkward.com

Check it out. A lot of the letter writers are somewhat young, but the people suggesting solutions or new frames of reference have a lot of wisdom and experience dealing with anxiety, depression, and social anxiety.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Some things that work for me:

1. Remember to exhale
2. Exercise
3. Listen to poetry, books on tape, good radio shows--especially at night when sleep isn't coming
4. Bake something nice.
5. Plant things--nothing like seeing little seedlings to make you feel hopeful
6. Cut off the TV--maybe it's just me but I have no stomach for all the violent shows anymore
7. Only one cup of coffee in the morning--no more caffeine for the rest of the day
Old 02-23-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
So it goes

Originally Posted by Thlayli View Post
This may sound silly but one thing that helps me is to breathe through my nose. Somehow, when I'm stressed I tend to breathe through my mouth. Once I realize I'm doing it, changing makes a huge difference.

Of course, focusing on your breath is a meditation technique and about as "here and now" as you can get.
It is also a recognised method of stress relief. People charge you for that advice!!