BF just said he is ready to quit drinking today.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

BF just said he is ready to quit drinking today.

I am tentatively happy. I knew I would not be able to force him to quit drinking, he would have to want to do it for himself and up until now he has always said that he was "not ready".

Well, this weekend he was drinking all day and night from Friday night to Sunday night and got into trouble with his band members for showing up to rehearsal drunk and making an idiot out of himself, not being able to perform, falling over etc. They told him that they are on the verge of throwing him out of the band (which is his life) so today, the words that I have been waiting for him to say for over 3 1/2 years finally came out of his mouth. "I am going to stop drinking" and that it is time for a change. He told his father in front of me "I quit drinking today".

I obviously feel relief but also trepidation This is going to be a whole new life he will be embarking on. I told him that he will have to cut certain friends out of his life and that he will soon find out who his friends are (the ones who will support him and the ones that will try to sabotage him). I have also decided to stop drinking completely myself (I don't drink all that much anyway these days and won't even miss it) and to keep alcohol completely out of the house (anyone who visits will be told they can't drink alcohol here).

Anything else I can do for him? Anything I should expect/be aware of? Should I be jumping up and down for joy or being more cautious? Should I expect him to relapse and if that happens what do I do? I am almost scared to be too happy about it. But I am very proud of him for finally manning up to his problem and being prepared to do something about it.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

perhaps encourage him to go to AA. he'll be more successful with support and a solid plan for his recovery and AA 12 steps can guide him.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Talk is cheap. Actions speak, especially long-term actions. I would wait and see.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Please comsider counseling and/or al-anon for yourself as well, learning about the disease will help you in your own recovery.

Big hugs and best of luck,

Bill