Notices

just some thoughts

Old 02-20-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just some thoughts

I woke up today; day 3 of sobriety and still feeling confident about my life.

I know we all have different paths and needs but I don't want my sobriety to occupy my thoughts like my drinking did. I have far too much to accomplish and I don't feel any concern over not drinkin today. Each day is more clear and I am recalling cerain aspects of drinkin that I conveniently forgot. You know the planning that goes into drinking; hey if I do this now I can get down to business.......

Anyway I am rambling. My big thought right now is how to deal with the 12 hours of my life late Friday/ early Saturday that I do not remember. I came to on the couch at 3 in the afternoon on Saturday. The last thing I remember is BS'ing with friends sometime after midnight and I must have fallen on my but cheek because it hurts. I probably did not behave well and the cops haven't come looking for me but at the moment I would rather not know WTF I did in those 12 hours.

thanks!
Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its that kind of suspense that eats away at me! Take a deep breath and, if your friends haven't brought up some serious offense you committed that night, leave it in the past! And on that note, I shall take my own advice regarding my Saturday lol
Old 02-20-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Me too. I am stunned that I sometimes watch the driveway for the police. I think that's more the guilt than anything else. But I'm glad you don't feel stress over not drinking. I actually don't either. I'm just sure I'm fine.

And that's what's really scary. That's why I'm still struggling. Because I think I can control it. And I can't.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sobriety does not consume my every thought, but I do remain vigilant. I've become complacent and content in the past with disasterous results.

I have to do something(s) for my sobriety everyday so I can continue to reap the benefits of the life that sobriety has given me.

God bless.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nairb View Post
I know we all have different paths and needs but I don't want my sobriety to occupy my thoughts like my drinking did. I have far too much to accomplish and I don't feel any concern over not drinkin today. Each day is more clear and I am recalling cerain aspects of drinkin that I conveniently forgot. You know the planning that goes into drinking; hey if I do this now I can get down to business.......
I think one of the many reasons a lot of people go back out drinking is because they're concerned with AA (or an obsession w recovery) becoming who they are. And taking up way more of their life than they'd like it to. Some people do become "AA" and their lives DO wind up revolving around it, but that's their choice. And there's nothing wrong with that. Others use it as a bridge back to things they want more to do. What's important I think though is to give enough time and effort into the beginning of sobriety to build a truly solid foundation, and for most that means really diving in. I needed some serious reprogramming when I stopped drinking, and getting super involved in AA and recovery gave me that. Almost 28 years later, the first couple of years of total involvement seem like a drop in the bucket... and I am faaaaar from being a person who lives, breaths and eats AA. It was a bridge back to life for me. I have since gone to college, became a HS teacher, got re-involved with music and lived out many of my dreams and fantasies as a musician, got involved in theater, did a bunch of shows, done tons and tons of things I didn't even dream about doing when I first got sober. Do yourself a favor, and put any concerns about sobriety taking up too much of your life and time on the shelf for a while. Put the time in and build a solid foundation, and the time you get back will be exponential, and more than well worth the initial investment. Nobody is going to make you do anything you don't want 3, 5 and 10 years down the line. The most important thing right now is to ensure that alcohol doesn't rob you of your potential. Don't underestimate the power and insidiousness of that substance. Just resoving to not drink and start doing better things with ones life doesn't work for the vast majority or people. And it unfortunately takes many of those people dacades before they realize it.