Here we go again

Old 02-19-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here we go again

My AH had been sober for over 5 yrs now. Everything has been so nice for so long, I almost didn't recognize the subtle behavior changes, and the smell of liquor until recently. I searched and found several hidden bottles in the house. My suspicions were confirmed, and my heart sank.
After her last rehab I went to al anon and found some peace. Now I had some tools to discuss this in a calm rational manner.
I confronted her Thursday, and let her know that I cannot stand by and watch her drink herself to death. After (what I felt) was a good discussion she agreed that she needed help again and needed to stop drinking.
Of course now, several days later, there are still hidden liquor bottles laying around and no attempts to get back on a program.
I know now I need to go and find help for myself to maintain my sanity. I need to relearn how to deal with this and set my boundries. Although I am much better at understanding I have no control over the AH's disease, I need to work on my own control.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

Pull out the keyboard and make yourself at home by reading and posting as much as needed. We understand, and we are here to support you.

I'm sorry for the circumstances that brought you here.
It shows how much progress you have made in how you are chosing to respond to this latest round of drinking. Good on you.

Here is a link that contains steps which helped me while living with active alcoholism:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html