Notices

Day 11, so f**king bored

Old 02-17-2012, 11:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 11, so f**king bored

Got past the first week, holed up playing video games. I drank for 2 years for anxiety. I can't work due to anxiety and headaches still. I've played all my games, watched as much netflix as I can stand. Cleaned the house as much as I can stand. Can't hang out with people because of anxiety. I'm so so f**king bored. It's freezing cold outside. What do I do? I'm about to drink or do something. Being sober sucks.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I sure felt that way at the beginning of last year, wish there was something I could say to help with the "Think about drinking\think about not drinking.", but you have to make it through this in the early days. The best thing that helped me was to lay down and SLEEP or meditation. If you keep the exact same schedule as you did while drinking that will definitely kick in the cravings. I know the nights were very tough for me, wishing you the best.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im 19 days and I hear you on the boredom. Gotta learn new hobbies, restart old ones, to help burn the time we used to spend drinking.

Ive been reading more than ever. I always hated reading when hungover, and wouldnt comprehend if I did it while drunk. If books bore you, try graphic novels (aka comic books). The Walking Dead is a great series. If you dont already, try exercising...it will tire you out and calm your mind some. I had horrible anxiety for first 10 days or so, now I make sure to get in a 2ish mile brisk walk each day. I just put on my headphones as I walk and zone out for 45 minutes. That has really helped me. Good luck and dont drink!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel your pain, I do have 3 classes this semester, but only one takes any effort. Work hours slashed to all kinds of gone, and the anxiety makes it hell to look for new work (am trying).
I feel I wasted so much time/effort/cognitive ability being a drunk, so I got some books out at the library on subjects that do interest me..and for my inner geek at heart. Working out helps a bit w/my anxiety, and takes up some time and nervous energy.

It's rough, we all can definitely sympathize (as i spend another night watching netflix
Old 02-18-2012, 12:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Its a tough stage you are in right there, I just went through it (rolling into day 28 here). I bought a new snowboard yesterday and will pick up on that from where I left off 10 years ago when I even use to compete. Its physical, involves the outdoors, fresh air and a change of scenery / town / road-trip and I'll meet great people. Lots of birds killed with one stone in my opinion! And thats just one of many new hobbies I'll be picking up to fill up the huge gaping void left by quitting drinking.

You'll get through it and most will come naturally, right now you just have to hang in there, it gets easier and life gets WAY BETTER
Old 02-18-2012, 12:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was really unused to finding things to do too - I was so used to the instant gratification of alcohol.

I understand you're bored, you're missing drinking and you're probably irritable about it.
It gets better.

Don't give into boredom - that's a really sorry excuse to throw in the towel and go back to all that MHS.

you may get some ideas here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

If all else fails read around here, post, or go into chat here

D
Old 02-18-2012, 03:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MustardHandSoap View Post
Being sober sucks.
I disagree....I didn't get sober playing games and watching movies...Haven't met many people that did. Find some kind of recovery program and get busy...It's amazing the things you can find to fill your time.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Getting out to some AA meetings would certainly go a long way to alleviate boredom and improve sobriety.
I know right where you are at. I wish you the best in your recovery.

Bob
Old 02-18-2012, 04:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Reading helped me especially when weathers bad. And there's a book on just about anything that interests you. Exercise is also great. Releases endorphins your brain is craving. It's therapeutic in more ways than one.

Being sober doesnt suck if you don't let it suck. What sucks is being being a slave to an inanimate object. The false sense of happiness, the illusion of fun is just that... False illusions. Life is great but you have to find things to make it great.
Don't focus on what you can't do, but the millions of things you can do sober.
Best wishes!
Old 02-18-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think the cravings in early recovery compile everything, it makes the time seem longer, plus I felt very foggy at that time, it could be difficult to focus. Over time I began to experience relief from the cravings, my attention span also began to improve.

I think it does help to do something active for recovery, rather than just trying to fill in the time, or helps to just 'vent' if you have to.

There were times though when feeling like crap I just rested and tried to think about nothing, I accepted that my mind/body needed to do some repair. I can't count how many times I said to myself 'this sucks, it's too difficult' and went for a drink, in the first month or two, but it does get better if you can hang in there. The relapses were never worth it, I had to struggle to regain my equilibrium each time, after most times making a mess of myself.

There is still much that is enjoyable in life without drinking or using, I think many addicts though find it a bit difficult to leave the 'joyride', the roller coaster thrills behind. Towards the end of that life though I was exhausted/burnt on so many levels and actually happy to have some personal space, some semblance of sanity and a more normal pace in my life.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

I'm curious how you purchased alcohol with all that anxiety?

If you have anxiety no matter what, try something like an AA meeting. We were all anxious in the beginning, but we all understand each other, too.

Glad you're on SR!
Old 02-18-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that you need to find things to do to fill your time. I did a lot of reading in early recovery and learned a lot about spirituality. I think that some kind of regular exercise could also help to alleviate the boredom.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When I first got sober, I really thought life was over. Anything and everything I did (which wound up being not all that much in the end anyhow) revolved around drinking. I also suffered from extreme anxiety, and was agoraphobic. That slowly got better, motivated greatly by fear of not taking as many suggestions as possible. I also feel fortunate that I wasn't put on any medication as if forced me to grow through my panic disorder. In the beginning I remember thinking there's now NOTHING to do. Today, I don't have nearly enough time to do all the things I want.

Anyhow, one of the things I did was make a list of every possible thing I could do to alleviate my boredom. I think I came up with like 200 things which there's no way I could remember, but I do remember I really started grabbing for straws. Cleaning closets was on my list. I'll list some of the things I did that were a little more fulfilling than that:
  • Meetings.
  • Learning relaxation techniques. And did them every day.
  • Exercising.
  • Buying good food, cooking, and eating it.
  • Learning about nutrition.
  • Reading all the AA literature I could get my hands on.
  • I revisited some of my childhood hobbies. Bought a model or 2 and built them.
  • Got a sponsor who dragged me out, despite my panic and anxiety, to diners after meetings.
  • Forced myself to say a few words at meetings when I went. This was one of the toughest things for me to do.
  • Took the money I would have spent on alcohol, and bought clothes. I distinctly remember how this felt like I was throwing money away.
  • Wrote journals.
  • Started reading about different religions, and praying to a then ubiquitious god to work on developing a relationship.
  • Made an attempt at getting involved again in the religion I grew up in, only to find out for sure it wasn't for me.
  • Planned and went on a retreat or 2.
  • Got into outpatient counseling.
  • Made lots of lists. Things to do when bored. Things to look forward to. Gratitude lists.
Of all the above, I'm pretty certain the meetings were the most important. They helped me get out of the confines of my skull, and opened countless doors that couldn't have been opened any other way. Mind you, the anxiety and fear seemed crippling at the beginning. Praying to confront that fear got me out my front door, and while it didn't always alleviate the anxiety, it gave me the strength to walk through it. In time, it disappeared.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey MHS, how are you doing now?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Get help for your anxiety and find work. Spending 8 hours somewhere each day really makes the time fly by.