Notices

First Weekend Sober

Old 02-17-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question First Weekend Sober

I haven’t drank since last Saturday night, however I definitely identify as a weekend binger, so getting through the weekends is probably going to be the toughest part of maintaining sobriety for me. I have been reading and posting on this site all week and it has helped me to stay in a mind state of wanting to stay off the drink. I haven’t decided whether or not I want to try AA yet, I admit that I am a bit intimidated by it. I’m not someone who enjoys freely sharing personal information (even posting on here, totally anonymously, I feel some resistance at times). I am more of an introvert, which is why I probably used to drink as much as I did on the weekends. I’m not worried about drinking tonight as I’ve been building up on staying sober all week and my drinking binge from last weekend is still fresh in my head. I do fear for a week from now or even a week after that, when monotony begins to set in… or when I have a birthday party or other event to attend. I will eventually have to find others to socialize with outside of the crowd that I’ve been hanging with on weekends the past couple of years. Does anyone have any suggestions of activities to replace weekend binging with? Or ways/experiences of transcending your previous “drinking” life into your now sober life?
Old 02-17-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can try reading some books on alcoholism. Friday night and Saturday are the hardest for me to deal with too. I find that reading helps to pass time when I am home alone and it occupies my mind enough that the cravings pass. I never was a big reader when I was drinking but there are tons of books about addiction and recovery that seem to be helping me a lot (although I am only on the second one). They make me think a lot and remember why I stopped. It's not really the same as hanging out with people but right now I can't be around anyone who is drinking.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Janie,

Take it one day at a time. If I thought too much in the future it would blow me away. Take care and stay strong!
Old 02-17-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck this weekend. I don't think anybody is not intimidated by going to their first AA meeting....I was terrified. I was also terrified of losing my life to alcohol. Here's a little secret...You can go into a meeting and just sit and listen..If you see someone that looks like a nice person you can introduce yourself and say you are new....You don't have to do that if you don't want to. I found that was a great way to be around people that wanted to stop drinking...Like I did. Listen to people that have stopped...Share how they did it...Really...What do you have to lose?
Old 02-17-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i spent a lot of time on this site, playing with my profile, picking out a youtube vid (and watching youtube in the process), watching south park on line, watching some old tv shows at hulu.com, while this site was open in another window. the first few weeks i didn't pressure myself to get a lot done besides simply staying away from alcohol.

congrads on your first week finished Janie~~~it gets better!
Old 02-17-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

HelloKitty- Reading helps to keep my mind occupied for sure. I’ve read several books in the past on alcoholism, even one on how to be a “social drinker” (we see how that one worked out). I haven’t been reading alcoholism focused books recently, but it will probably be a good idea to reinforce my sobriety or give me some new ideas. Thanks
PS- Just finished The Hunger Games trilogy, if you’re into fiction its a great read and the movie is coming out next month.

Sapling- I think I am mostly nervous that many of the people have been going to the AA meetings for years and would therefore all know each other and possibly be cliquey? I would prefer to just listen if I were to attend a meeting and sort of scope out the situation. I know at some point if I am going to maintain this, it is going to be in my best interest to go to the meetings. I wish I knew little bit more of what to expect, its very nerve wracking for me.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I haven't been to a meeting yet either (although I do have a list of the local meetings in my purse just in case). Our meetings here are pretty much centralized in one location so my biggest fear is running into someone I know there. Yes, I know it is Anonymous but still...that is what keeps me from going I think.

Another idea is to spend some time (and money) fixing up your house or apartment. My house went to **** for the last year while I was drunk all the time. Some paint and new decorations will go along way in a visual and emotional way. It's kind of therapeutic in a few ways, one being that putting the money that would otherwise be wasted on drugs/alcohol into something useful can make you feel pretty good. And coming home to something that looks a little bit different can start to erase some of the bad memories that may have taken place in your house. Most of us probably have a lot of those...I know I do.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by janiebluebird View Post
Sapling- I think I am mostly nervous that many of the people have been going to the AA meetings for years and would therefore all know each other and possibly be cliquey? I would prefer to just listen if I were to attend a meeting and sort of scope out the situation. I know at some point if I am going to maintain this, it is going to be in my best interest to go to the meetings. I wish I knew little bit more of what to expect, its very nerve wracking for me.
You'd be surprised how many are brand new there also....The only way to find out what to expect...Is to just go...You don't have to worry about cliques...Only one person talks at a time...Listen to that person. That's what I did...Scoped out the situation...Met incredible people and have eight months without a drink next week. I was very nervous my first meeting too...Now I love them. It's up to you...I hope you find something to assist you in quitting for good...Alcohol tore my life apart before I finally did something. Good luck to JBB...
Old 02-17-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HelloKitty8340 View Post
I haven't been to a meeting yet either (although I do have a list of the local meetings in my purse just in case). Our meetings here are pretty much centralized in one location so my biggest fear is running into someone I know there. Yes, I know it is Anonymous but still...that is what keeps me from going I think.
So you wouldn't try and do something...That's worked for millions of people...Because you are afraid of running into someone that is trying to do the same thing you want to do.....I got to think about that.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FLA

I'm going through the exact same problem. This Is my first weekend being sober in years. Find something exciting to do, nothing boring I find boring stuff will put drinking in your mind.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

SLEEP, seriously sleep. Do not stay up late if you are\were a night drinker. waking up with a good night's rest is a big help in recovery. Clean up the house... clean up yourself, then clean up some more. lol (I agree with the rest as well)
Old 02-17-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

SR got me through my first few weekends - you'll find a lot of support here Janie

D
Old 02-17-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yay Janie - very proud of you for getting through this week. I was very anxious my first few weeks, but things eventually settled down. I began to feel really good physically & emotionally. I reached the point where I didn't want to risk messing things up - I wanted to continue with the new positive feelings. It won't stay this intense. You'll feel more relaxed and confident as you go along.

I agree with the others - stay close to SR, read, movies/tv, walks - anything to keep you distracted & keep your mind occupied. I predict one day you'll realize you haven't thought about alcohol in a long time.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My first weekend too!

I joined here a couple years ago, but have never really quit. My last drink was Monday evening. This is my very first weekend not drinking, and I drank alot. Since my wife left me about 3 years ago my drinking kept climbing. I am really bored. I lived for drinking evenings. I would still be drinking except, I am sure it will end up killing me. I do love to drink, and have never wanted to quit. I am pretty scared. I know I won't drink tonight, I am in that frame of mind. But this is not as fun as drinking.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Weekends are really tough for me, too. I've been watching or going to the movies more. I need to be sober to enjoy a movie and it's something to occupy my mind for a few hours. Stay strong, you'll be happy i the mornings that you didn't drink.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know how you feel, I had no idea how to spend time sober, I was actually scared of being alone in the early start of my recovery.

5 months ago I was scared of spending time by myself, without drink, I mean back then I thought what is there without drink? (I used to drink 3 bottles of wine a night) There is so much...you'll be amazed at what you start enjoying...Simple things do the trick for me, a good DVD and I always have diet coke around me to drink..

In the earliest days I found getting to an AA meeting really helpful...I too am a anxious person who is pretty shy, but I met some great people there. I still get nervous now going, but I see my nervousness as a good thing - it means I'm sober and I'll wake up tomorrow feeling happy.

Becoming sober is the best thing I ever did. Better than any qualification, anything!!! Take care and you can do it! Day at a time
Old 02-17-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support! It really does help. I went to the gym to rid myself of some energy and I think I'll rent something on demand or read for the rest of the night. I can't say that I'm not missing drinking some wine right now, but I'm sticking to it and I know it is for the best. I'm really looking forward to not being hung over tomorrow morning! I think I *might* go to a meeting tomorrow night, much in part to this thread.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Have a good night JBB....Nice job not drinking...Enjoy waking up feeling good.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Janie, I'm an introvert too! Even more so now that I'm not drunk all the time. I'm okay with it. I went to AA after a year + trying to battle alcohol on my own. Even though I am an introvert I still need to connect with those that get me. People that don't know addiction don't get me. It took me a long time to figure out what would work. Be patient with yourself. A big thing I discovered through other alcoholics was that we all pretty much do the same things!!! I so relate to at least one thing I hear at every meeting. We are not unique is one of them!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

1undone- Were you comfortable socializing with people at the AA meeting when you started going? I don't know how I'll feel about it if people try talking to me at the meeting. I think it will be helpful in the end and I am eager to meet other sober people, but like I've said, the though of going to one and verbalizing to others that I am seeking help in recovery seems daunting. I know I don't have to speak in front of everyone, but even the thought of talking to individual people before or after makes me slightly uneasy. I know I should really just suck it up and go.