Acceptance - Language of Letting Go

Old 02-17-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Acceptance - Language of Letting Go

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Acceptance

Our basic recovery concept that never loses its power to work miracles is the concept called acceptance.

We do not achieve acceptance in a moment. We often have to work through a mirage of feelings - sometimes anger, outrage, shame, self-pity, or sadness. But if acceptance is our goal, we will achieve it.

What is more freeing than to laugh at our weaknesses and to be grateful for our strengths? To know the entire package called "us" - with all our feelings, thoughts, tendencies, and history - is worthy of acceptance and brings healing feelings.

To accept our circumstances is another miraculous cure. For anything to change or anyone to change, we must first accept others, the circumstance, and ourselves exactly as they are. Then, we need to take it one step further. We need to become grateful for our circumstances or ourselves. We add a touch of faith by saying, "I know this is exactly the way it's supposed to be for the moment."

No matter how complicated we get, the basics never lose their power to restore us to sanity.

Today, God, help me practice the concept of acceptance in my life. Help me accept others, my circumstances, and myself. Take me one step further, and help me feel grateful.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

We do not achieve acceptance in a moment. We often have to work through a mirage of feelings - sometimes anger, outrage, shame, self-pity, or sadness. But if acceptance is our goal, we will achieve it.
For me, acceptance of my son's addiction did not mean I had failed to save him, it did not mean that his addiction was okay with me...it meant that I had "arrived" at one of the glorious points of recovery.

Acceptance meant that I had worked my way through the pain, the anger, the shame, the pity for him and for myself, the darkness and the fear. For me, it meant that I was now ready to give this all to God, my son's addiction and my fear and pain also, and to let go and let God.

Acceptance was a turning point for me, where I stopped being a victim and where I began to see myself as a survivor. It was where I stopped living in the problem of codependency and began living in the solution of recovery.

Acceptance was my victory and it led me to brighter paths ahead.

Hugs
Old 02-17-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
Acceptance was a turning point for me, where I stopped being a victim and where I began to see myself as a survivor. It was where I stopped living in the problem of codependency and began living in the solution of recovery.
Beautifully put, Ann!

One of my old sponsors used to ask me frequently, especially when I was struggling, "Are you living in the problem or the solution?"

I needed to read this today. Thanks for posting it!
Old 02-17-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

That was a well used phrase from my sponsor too, DeVon, and one I remember often. As I approach any problems today, I check myself by asking that same question..."Am I living in the problem or the solution?"