Now what?

Old 02-16-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Now what?

I've been reading posts here for inspiration and comfort for a long time, and now I come to you for help. My AH has been unable to stay sober for more than 30 days since he first went to rehab in July 2010. He has had multiple hospitalizations following suicide threats and attempts, and has not followed an AA program in spite of the heroic efforts of many members of the meetings he attended. He is totally dependent on me, and has been increasingly angry and destructive as I have been working on taking care of myself and detaching with love. Today, an hour ago, he checked himself out of rehab after 5 days of being, in the words of his counselor, "disruptive, manipulative and not willing to address his problems.". He knew this was his last chance, his going to rehab was his response to my telling him I would file for legal separation if he didn't get treatment. Now he's on the street, over an hour away, calling me to come pick him up. I specifically told him I would not come get him if he left early. I have been trying to work a solid Al-Anon program for 18 months now, but because I work 7days/week, I don't get to many face-to-face meetings. So I have no one I feel comfortable calling in this horrible moment. I know I must stay strong, but it right now it hurts more than I ever thought possible. ES&H, anyone?
Old 02-16-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mary,

Welcome, so glad you are here, I am so sorry for all you are going through, there is lots of good information here especially at the top of the page, the permanant posts or stickies, also there are posts with books people have recommended, as well as stories of success and heartbreak.

I am on here from about 7AM to 1 or 2AM most days, if you need someone to talk with I will be glad to listen, I can only tell you what has and has not worked for me.

You can send me a private message if you would prefer to talk that way.

You have to set your own boundaries, and just like with children, don't make them if you won't stick to them, alcoholics are just as maniuplative as a 2 year old with an exhausted mother in front of the candy in the grocery store line.

Therapy has been a huge help in my process of detaching, some here go to al-anon when they have time, there are also on-line meetings available.

Is you need an ear or a shoulder or you just need a hug, come back and tell us, we will be here for you, this is a great group of folks, lots of good advice, lots of moral support.

Big hugs and best of luck to you,

Bill
Old 02-16-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

The best thing you can do for him and most importantly yourself is to stay firm in your boundaries. If you said you would not pick him up I suggest you follow through with that. If you gave him this last chance and he blew it that is his problem. If you keep giving in he will continue to take. His addiction thrives with codependency and enabling helping him along the destructive path. Nothing changes if nothing changes, so continue making those steps to change your present. Maybe, just maybe, him seeing you changing courses for a more positive life and not having you to depend on will inspire him to change.

You are doing good. Be kind to yourself. Anxiety is normal, so take a few breathes and remember why you want your situation to change.

Hugs to you.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

wow! he clutters the mind eh?...gotta charge rent for that...sorry, sarcism

read and read some more
r u in AL ANON?....this will help

his problems are that...HIS....and NO is a nice word, i use it alot...
Old 02-16-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all, you're helping already. I'm praying hard for calm, reminding myself that he freely chose his course of action and that loving him means respecting his free will. I know he's desperately ill, but as long as he refuses treatment there's nothing anyone can do to help him. Pray for us both, we need it!
Old 02-16-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sending you all the prayers in the world. You are strong and you will get through this. Hopefully this will bring him closer to making some real changes to help himself. You have done all that you can do. Think of something that may take you out of the picture. meaning make you happier at this moment in time. Every time I have felt quite low I ask myself "What would make me feel better right now". When I listen to Melody Beattie, she always helped or getting a massage...or ice cream even... It's the little things right now :0 )

Hugs, We are all rooting for you!
Old 02-16-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

Keep reading, venting and posting as needed. We are here to support you, and we understand.

Can you get out of the house for a little while? I found it helpful to put on some tennis shoes, headphones with music and go pound the pavement to take out frustrations. It has healthy side effects too!
Old 02-16-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Big hugs. It's difficult to let go and not feel responsible.
But you're not.
He's an adult, and the best way for adults (as for children, mostly) to learn lessons is to get to face the natural consequences of your actions.

He's an adult. He's not a child. With children, we protect them from running into traffic and putting their hands in the mouths of lions. With adults, sometimes they need a bigger whap on the head from life to see that the choices they're making are hurting them. (And the people who love them, but that's a lesson that seems harder to have the strength to face for many addicts.)

When I left my AXH, a friend of mine told me it might be the biggest favor anyone would ever do him. Try seeing it that way: You're not abandoning him; you're letting him take the consequences of his actions -- which is the best way you can help him now.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Imagine an addictionologist who writes a prescription for your husband's addiction but hands the prescription to YOU.

It says "Do not enable."

I'm so sorry for the intense pain you are feeling. Pray and hold on.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hang in there mary.

you have the tools you need to get through this.

serenity prayer helps.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So I sayed strong, told him I loved him but he was on his own now--and he quit calling me, went back to rehab 2 hours later (sober, the staff tell me) and somehow convinced them to re-admit him. The encouragement and support I got here kept me standing my ground. Thank you all so much! I had no idea he had that in him...praying it may be the start of better things. Not backing down, though. If anything, I'm going to do even more reading and praying so that whatever happens I can be true to myself. I feel like I was just part of a little miracle...feeling very humbled and grateful and more than a little amazed.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great job standing strong

The more you do it the easier it gets!

Big hugs,

Bill

Last edited by Willybluedog; 02-17-2012 at 05:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-17-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

well done, mary! and what a wonderful turn of events.

perhaps do something special for yourself tonight....
Old 02-17-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yay Mary!!!!! Well done you amazing, recovering lady!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeaaa Mary! Thanks for posting.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good job!

All you can do is pray for him.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow, you did amazing!!!!

Your post reminded me how important it is for me to stick to my boundaries!

Keep us posted and squeeze some "me" time in, now that he's in rehab! Wishing you all the best and stay strong!