Notices

Day 2 sober (feel so angry)

Old 02-15-2012, 03:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 sober (feel so angry)

Well it's day number two and I've got absolutely no compulsion to drink at all but I'm just feeling so angry. I'm really angry at myself but can't seem to stop lashing out at my parents. I feel so guilty but I everything they say or do makes me cross. I think it's just my way of dealing with how guilty and bad I feel about everything and also that as soon as I opened my eyes this morning I got a barrage of questions and demands from them (which is fair enough but I need to do things in my own time). I know they're only trying to help but I'm finding it really difficult to just do everything their way. Doesn't help that they've pretty much got me under house arrest either.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Anger is normal in early recovery. So are all the other emotions we've numbed.
Give yourself time to heal, but lashing out will possibly make you feel worse. Do you have a program of recovery to follow? Find one and start working with it. It will help you. AVRT, SMART, LifeRing, AA, something to help you with this stuff. Years ago my parents attempted an intervention with me, but I was already sober, just still had untreated alcoholism! (no program of recovery/no solution to my "ism")

You can stay stopped. Keep moving forward!!!!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

It really is common - I remember being irritable too. Like sugarbear said, our emotions can be all over the place -I think mine changed every 5 minutes(!) We have to deal with challenge of staying sober on top of all the feelings we drank away for so long. Add parents to the mix..... (!)

It might help if you talk to them (at a time when you're not feeling angry) and tell them that you're feeling emotional and reactive right now, that you're doing your best, but need a little more space.

Things will get better - hang in there!!
Old 02-15-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I usually avoid all human contact until Day 4 haha. Your brain chemistry is trying to sort itself out, so you are not going to be able to process things like you normally would. I would get really irritable and anxious so I would plant myself on the couch and watch movies/TV for a few days until I felt normal again.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I remember being really angry for about a week. It gets better once the fog lifts and you can see things from a different perspective. Hang in there!