Notices

Question on being selfish

Old 02-14-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question on being selfish

I brought my SO a nice red rose arrangement some chocolates and a sweetly written card for VDay. She was very happy and felt weird because she didnt get me anything (I dont care at all).

After dinner I ate one of the chocolates; couldnt help myself as they were open on the counter. Anyway - she freaked out that I ate one and called me selfishness and now is giving me the cold shoulder.

Was that bad of me? Am I just a clueless guy?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I probably wouldn't last very long with her.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Based on years of clueless male activity, I think it's probably best to wait til they're offered to you

D
Old 02-14-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like chocolate.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow. IMHO you did nothing wrong and her reaction is weird.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

On the one hand, yes you should not have assumed that her gift was open for you to partake in. On the other, her reaction seems over done. She was justified to be unhappy with what you did, but no need to give the sustained cold shoulder.

My mom was big on that, never taking anything without asking first or waiting for it to be offered. Its manners yes, but her over-reaction seems petty to me.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi,
I'm a female and even I say that's bad behavior on her part.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Whoa. I am a female and one piece is no biggie. It would actually make me feel like less of a fatty BUT if you ate like half the box I'd be like baaaabe you gotta buy more now lol but I wouldn't be mad or call you selfish. Maybe there's something else going on??
Old 02-14-2012, 11:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Be calm. It's V-Day. People get weird. Nothing is normal.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

The fact that you bought them for her and that she is your significant other really should eliminate any need for 'permission'. If she was a co-worker who happened to have a box on her desk as you walked by her desk....then yes you should ask before taking. But your GF? On valentines day? Take the chocolate back and dump her ass! haha
Old 02-15-2012, 03:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you ever need lessons on being selfish you know where to go.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Based on years of clueless male activity, I think it's probably best to wait til they're offered to you

D
she's looking for a reason to be mad at you....it goes much deeper than the chocolate. People that love eachother share chocolates.

(did you do something else? the fact that she did not get you a token speaks volumes)

this seems like passive/agressive behavior.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Resident

Next year I wouldn't buy her any chocolates so as to avoid a repeat of that episode.
Just trying to be the devil's advocate.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gippy1968 View Post
I brought my SO a nice red rose arrangement some chocolates and a sweetly written card for VDay. She was very happy and felt weird because she didnt get me anything (I dont care at all).

After dinner I ate one of the chocolates; couldnt help myself as they were open on the counter. Anyway - she freaked out that I ate one and called me selfishness and now is giving me the cold shoulder.

Was that bad of me? Am I just a clueless guy?
You stick your fingers in her chocolates without asking her is asking for trouble.
Take anything from anybody without asking and you're asking for trouble. You may get a free pass, a slap on the wrist or your nose broken.... the fact that you took it without permission is the problem, not the response you got.

I'm sure she'll get over it, sounds like you really tried to do a good thing. Next time will certainly be a charm.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Depends on your relationship. How long have you been together? Do you share a home, children?

If it was me and my husband, he'd think I was a freak for acting that way. I can't imagine acting that way either. If I didn't want him to eat the whole thing I'd hide it like I always do. ; )
Old 02-15-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree. Weird reaction! Selfish over eating a little peice chocolate? Bizarre.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am a female, and I think she acted badly - she ought to be happy that she has you, a card, roses, and chocolates on Valentine's Day. Her reaction was wierd.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

Did you take her favorite piece? lol

Learn from this experience....buy two boxes next year.....or ask for permission....

Sorry, we often establish patterns of behavior with each other in a relationship, and if there's addiction in the mix, it can get really odd....and if you are already changing, she may not know what to do.....(there's a book called "The Dance of Intimacy" and the author, whom I forget, has at least another, I think "The Dance of Anger" you may want to read along with "Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus")

Just stay stopped (drinking and/or drugging) and work on yourself, things will fall into place soon enough.

I wish you well!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

As a female, I find several of her actions very thoughtless. Perhaps her esteemed title should be altered to "Insignificant Other".....just sayin! Hang in there, Gippy!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sissy07 View Post
I am a female, and I think she acted badly - she ought to be happy that she has you, a card, roses, and chocolates on Valentine's Day. Her reaction was wierd.
I think her giving this guy JACK is wierd. If I was as thoughtless as that to my SO...I'd be throwing her chocolates.