Notices

4 Days and feeling sick

Old 02-13-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

4 Days and feeling sick

Hi there, this will be my 4th day of no alcohol or cigarettes. I generally drank 8-12+ drinks every couple days. I had a nice bender last week where I drank heavily every night and then quit. I was feeling OK yesterday and last night I got a really bad sore throat, today I've got joint aches, muscle aches, a really bad case of the chills, shaking, coughing, and really pretty ditzy and the worst part MOODY. I'm pretty sure I cut ties with a friend and it seems rational now but I'm not sure it will when this passes. Did anyone else who quit smoking or drinking experience physical symptoms like this or would you guess it was a cold? I know this is not a place to get medical advice, if I get any sicker I will go to a doctor, I'm hoping it'll pass by morning. I've quit drinking and smoking quite a few times before and other then weeks of crying I didn't have physical symptoms like this. Maybe I just have a flu, I do work at a school. Just asking, thanks for any responses, I do not feel well at all. Not really excited about drinking OR smoking the way I feel right now.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I won't give you any medical advice...But the first thing I thought when your described your symtoms was the Flu. I don't remember starting off my detox with a scratchy throat...Then again...I don't remember my detox period.
I will say when I went into Detox-Rehab I asked the doctor about quitting drinking and smoking at the same time...I figured what the hell. He didn't recommend it. He said I had enough on my plate with the drinking....I'm glad he did. Because I don't think I would have made it on either one if I tried. I gave myself to get a year sober and I'll probably quit. I'm just glad to get rid of the alcohol....That was doing more damage. Good luck to you. You get really squirrley..Hit the ER..
Old 02-13-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I know that each time I stopped drinking was harder than the last and it got harder for my body to deal with it. Of course, you might have the flu as well, and it's good that you will go to a dr if things get worse.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi mmare

A lot of people find their immune system takes a beating, especially after a bender - I would often find I often got sick later.

None of us are Drs of course - maybe seeing your Dr is a good idea?

D
Old 02-13-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I recall getting sick 4 or 5 times during the winter.....3 usually a few days after a bender. Alcohol supresses the immune system, along with lack of sleep, added stress, and so on. This past winter, I haven't actually drank as much as I used to, and I have been sick just once.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

You may want to google "smoker's flu" - it happens a lot to people in the first week of quitting. But definitely see a doctor if you feel worse......

It's wonderful that you're doing this for yourself - congratulations on 4 days!! Welcome to the forum, too!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you very much, smokers flu really sounds similar to what I'm experiencing, as does mild-moderate alcohol withdrawl. I'm not sick enough to go to the doctor yet, just very uncomfortable. Drinking water and taking ibuprofin and took a vitamin to hopefully keep me asleep. I also was researching about subsequent withdrawls and I do wonder if what Anna spoke of is the 'kindling' effect. I'm an on and off binge drinker and maybe that's what's going on, or maybe it's just the flu. Whatever it is I will do my best to sleep and make it through work tomorrow. Maybe things will be better in teh morning. Thanks all for the welcomes, support and feedback.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm actually in a way glad I'm going through this because it's really strengthening my resolve. And sapling, thank you for the advice about quitting one thing at a time. For me the two are so closely entertwined. If I crave a cigarette I want drinks to make it taste good, if I have drinks I haaaave to have a cigarette. If I dry out, I'm generally contented with a daily piece of nicotine gum. If I was an everyday smoker i would definitely not be tackling both at the same time. Sheesh, I hope I will remember that I absolutely do not want to be this sick again.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Do you have a fever?

Glad you are here!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I sure felt like I had a fever but I don't think I did. It was a pretty rough night with lots of chills, sweats and coughing but around the middle of the night things started to get a little better. This morning I feel wiped out with a sore throat but quite a bit better. The smokers flu really fits the symptoms, my gums and mouth were all tender and I had a terrible headache. It's of course possible this is just an illness but my guess is it really was withdrawl. It seems I'm going to be able to work today and I hope it gets better after this. I that's what I have to look forward to if I drink and smoke that's a really good reason not to!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mmare2010 View Post
Sheesh, I hope I will remember that I absolutely do not want to be this sick again.
Write it down and put it on the fridge door.. cause you WILL forget.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am severely addicted to nicotine. Every time I have tried to quit was three or four days of hell. The alcohol detox was not easy either but not as severe. I have stopped for a few weeks now and am planning a quit plan for smoking but never again will do it both at the same time. Your body adjusts as you detox but sometimes to have such a crazy change all at once proves to be too much. My suggestion is to continue with the alcohol detox and ween of the cigarettes. Set an absolute quit date for the smoking when you are feeling strong again. Mine is April 1st until then I am concentrating on sobriety and preparing myself to quit cigs. When your prepared your more likely to succeed. Good luck and welcome.