Notices

14 days sober...depressed

Old 02-13-2012, 12:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

14 days sober...depressed

14th day sober. Ive been pretty ok since the anxiety went away, been keeping busy and making positive changes. But tonight I was just really down. Felt like I couldnt control my emotions at all...everything made me fall even deeper into pit of despair. Just to be clear, Im not in any way considering anything bad (drinking or hurting myself). Just that for first time since I got sober, I feel truly depressed.

Im guessing this is common at this point. Is my honeymoon over already?

(I see my Doc this week, will discuss with her)
Old 02-13-2012, 12:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was common for me - I can't remember even having a honeymoon period actually....

The good thing was though each new day was often in complete contrast to the day before - it's just our minds and bodies recovering, Shane - stick with it

D
Old 02-13-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

smart move with seeing your doctor
Old 02-13-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think everyone has ups and downs, and when we have been numb for a long time, or "medicating", it takes time for our bodies to handle it all as it should.

It is good you are reaching out and talking through it here, and with your doctor.

rochele
Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's probably just getting used to life without alcohol. There are ups and downs and not every day will be easy. But, you will learn to deal with emotions in a healthy way. And good for you for talking to your dr. about this.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

try journaling, read the big book, call someone. it's normal. we also grieve the loss of our alcohol. get to a meeting!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Shane, perhaps sharing your recovery at AA meetings with the members would be advantageous.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 02-13-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had that the first few weeks, really good day, pit of despair the next. Then a good day & so on. The rollercoaster eventually became more steady. Hang in there, it gets better. Know there are blue skies coming.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Shane, perhaps sharing your recovery at AA meetings with the members would be advantageous.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Thx for the replies. I went to a meeting tonight, my 3rd in 4 days, and although I didnt share this time, I feel better. Last night I didnt go to a meeting, maybe I should have. I plan to go again Wed. Then back to the Fri-Sat-Mon ones I went to over last 4 days. My sleep is still off, so not surprised I had a mini-meltdown. If it ever gets worse, I will def call a sober buddy...just last night I needed to vent here at SR.

Also, gotta be honest here, I enjoy and get a lot out of the meetings, but the social aspect of it is triggering some stuff in me. I used to be a big bar/party guy, anything to be social and drink...eventually I became both a social and alone heavy drinker. Anyways, guess its just a little lonely once you get home from meetings/being with friends and dont have your buddy booze to hang with. Thats all.

Thanks for listening and for the support.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Try getting a temporary sponsor and start working the steps! Sobriety is an action!!

The steps are the solution now that alcohol isn't.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ShaneW View Post
14th day sober. Ive been pretty ok since the anxiety went away, been keeping busy and making positive changes. But tonight I was just really down. Felt like I couldn't control my emotions at all...everything made me fall even deeper into pit of despair. Just to be clear, Im not in any way considering anything bad (drinking or hurting myself). Just that for first time since I got sober, I feel truly depressed.

Im guessing this is common at this point. Is my honeymoon over already?

(I see my Doc this week, will discuss with her)

Yeah Shane, drinking too up a lot of our time ;-)

It might be a good time to pick up some of the old hobbies/sports & interest's that you used to have as well as explore some new ones.

Since getting sober I have picked up a ton of new activities & am having a blast. My tennis game is better than ever (I used to pay/sign up for lessons in the past & not show up because I was too hungover ). I also joined a hiking group on Meetup which is a website to do activities with others (be cautious though as some people may still have a beer/drink even after hiking etc., I just stick with my sparkling water & coffee ;-). Check it out here: Meetups near Fairfax, Virginia - Meetup

Lastly, getting on XBox live (online with others) & playing Call of Duty or other video games is a blast when you need a break (or to kill some time ;-)

Take Care & let us know how things are going.

Cheers ~ NB
Old 02-13-2012, 11:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

Shane
I was on an emotional mess for a good few months. Things got really intense really quick, and it was out of control. I had times I just had to go to bed and shut the world out. After three months things were a lot better. Things are still improving.

I have concluded my emotional system had been highjacked by alcohol years ago. I had to unhitch it then my system had to run on it's own. It takes time.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It sounds like you're getting a good grasp on things. Meetings sure helped me a LOT! I needed to not feel so alone.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah, Im trying to tackle this thing head on...ordered the BB from amazon. Guess I need a couple return visits to meetings (Ive been to 3 different locations for my 3 meetings) to get in the groove and get sponsor etc.

NewBeginning010 - yeah, Im looking forward to picking up some old hobbies, sports etc. Im working to get fit again after years & years of boozing then eating everything in site while drunk. Got a long way to go...I quit going to gym because of cost and well, ****, I had just given up completely fitness wise. Def gonna look into finding a gym ASAP.

Sugarbear - Ill ask about a temp sponsor at next meeting.

As always SR has given me a lot of support and helpful advice. Thanks
Old 02-14-2012, 02:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ShaneW View Post
NewBeginning010 - yeah, Im looking forward to picking up some old hobbies, sports etc. Im working to get fit again after years & years of boozing then eating everything in site while drunk. Got a long way to go...I quit going to gym because of cost and well, ****, I had just given up completely fitness wise. Def gonna look into finding a gym ASAP.

. Thanks
Hey Shane,

Awesome to hear regarding the gym, I too gained a lot of weight off of drinking beer/booze & bad food (not to mention all of the greasy food for those nasty hangovers). The money you are saving from not drinking will easily pay off a monthly gym membership and a whole lot more.

I have been more active in the last year than I have in the previous 10 years combined Getting out on some hikes has been amazing, I almost forgot how nice it can be to get in touch with nature.

Keep on sharing your progress (and challenges), you can do this!

Cheers ~ NB {raises glass of sparkling water}