Notices

"Normies" will never get it

Old 02-12-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Normies" will never get it

I just thought I'd share what happened to me today, it made me smile and chuckle a bit and helped lift some of the heaviness I feel.

Tomorrow will be my 1 year sober birthday and my mother-in-law thought it would be nice for us all to get together at their house for a small celebration with cake and cards. I wasn't really feeling up to it. In fact, I had a really bad headache and the Excederin really upset my stomach but I knew it was important to them so I played along. I actually felt I owed it to them (in a good way) after 11 years of marriage to their daughter.

M-i-l congratulated me on a year - I said thanks and told her tomorrow was actually a year. She said "close enough." I said "well, if I do the things the rest of the day that I did yesterday, I think my chances are pretty good" and "this party is a really nice start to finishing a good year."

As I said, I've had a really bad headache all day (likely just from stress induced bad eating this weeked) and sweet m-i-l says "I've got some vicodin, why don't you take a couple for your headache so you can enjoy the party?" I reminded her that it kinda goes against the spirit of why we are all together in the first place. She got a good chuckle out of that.

M-i-l said "Well, I guess you proved me wrong! I told everyone I never thought you'd make it this far." I just smiled and said "<with playful sarcasm> Thanks! I'm really glad I have."

Father-in-law said "Nice job, now go for two!" I replied "I think I'll work on finishing today first. It seems to be what I can handle."

The ironic backdrop in the scenario is the fact that my wife's alcoholic sister and alcoholic brother-in-law became homeless and just moved in with them from out of state (for a few days) a couple of months ago. I thought it could be awkward if wife's parents started lecturing the other two but thankfully it never happened.

It was all very pleasant. These days I don't have expectations of what others should think of me or feel entitled to a pat on the back (but they are nice to get). I'm glad my sobriety gives them hope. It is

SIL and BIL know what I'm doing and I worked with SIL over Christmas after she asked me but it's clear they have there own timeline.

Was I a bit didactic in my AA talk? Probably a little but I don't think they understood it anyway.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well I'm the Man From Tomorrow, so I'll wish you congratulations from the South Pacific SPG

well done mate

D
Old 02-12-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Yeah...we're almost there so what the heck. Congrats on a year! Awesome!
Old 02-12-2012, 11:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on the year!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

congrats on your year! no, normies will never get it. but why would they? addiction is insanity. i didn't even understand the crap i was doing.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done!! Stay true to yourself, and I have a feeling each day will be a blessing for ya.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations. It is so good to read stories of success. I think you handled the family just right. While all a bit awkward, it is sweet they acknowledged your hard work, and talk about it, as opposed to awkwardly avoiding it.

rochele
Old 02-13-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 1 yr. Really like postd from individuals like yourself. Very motivating!

Jim
Old 02-13-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on Year One !!

Keep doing what you're doing....

Bob
Old 02-13-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Old 02-13-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Woohoo!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 1 year! Awesome!!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!! Though I don't think they totally get it, I do think they get more than most - they had a party to celebrate? That is really cool!

When my whatever-year anniversary comes up, I tell my family and dad says "congratulations, I'm really proud of you" and stepmom says "wow, I really thought it had been longer" but in a nice way...as in "it's been a loooong time since you worried us to death over whether you were going to live or die".

I think you handled it all wonderfully, and as far as the SIL and BIL, what I do is just keep doing MY thing, setting an example of what life without alcohol/drugs can be like and let them be unless they ask for life (yeah, I've got A's in my family, too).

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-13-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Always a silver lining StPete....They didn't ask you to bartend....Great share and a big congrats on one year and to many more to come!
Old 02-13-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Congratulations on a year, SPG.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congtatulations, StPeteGrad! Very inspiring!
Old 02-13-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Diez de Mayan

Congratulations! Come on over to the year and over thread and join the ''party'' where everybody ''gets it''...