Notices

First bar/pub visit after 4 months sober

Old 02-11-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Argonaut

First bar/pub visit after 4 months sober

Well, tonight it finally happened. My first evening out with friends in a pub since quitting drinking in October. I have mixed feelings about it, but in general the experience was good and I really learned a lot.

A good friend from my soccer team invited me to go and watch a soccer game in a pub in a bigger city nearby. I haven't been to a pub or bar since I quit drinking, but even when I drank I usually did it at home, alone. The nights that I went out with friends, I would get totally drunk, make an idiot of myself, get in fights etc.

So this was a big test. To be sure I wouldn't drink, I took my antabuse, so I would get very sick of alcohol. I met my friend at the train station and we walked the short bit to the area with loads of disco's, bars, pubs, restaurants etc. in the Old city area. It was only 8 in the evening of a Saturday so the crowds just started gathering. We went to a pub my friend recommended to watch the game. That wasn't a good choice, as the whole wall behind the plasma TV was filled with liquor bottles of dozens of varieties . My friend ordered a beer, I got creative and got a coffee with whip cream mixed with a espresso.

The bar was still empty and we had a really good time, we talked about the situation of our soccerclub, watched the game and talked about other interesting stuff. He knew I quit drinking and asked if it was for ever. I didn't really answer that question like I should, I said I didn't "plan" on drinking again, didn't like the hangovers etc. I should have been honest and said I am an alcoholic. But he was cool about it, didn't ask any more questions and we watched the game. I got tempted a few times with thoughts about having a drink, but the cravings lasted not even a minute. No idea though if I would have made it without the antabuse. Then I had another coffee, my friend another beer.

Then 3 other friends from the soccer club arrived and started drinking beer after beer. The conversation turned into an hour long marathon of stories who drank more, puked more, did more idiotic things when drunk, blacked out etc. I understand those guys are 22-27 year old and I am 32, so perhaps they are not alcoholics yet and will turn things around, but I didn't join the conversation and didn't criticize their behavior as I am only 4 months sober and have done 1000 more stupid things when I was a drunk myself.

The fun thing is that the pub really got totally full with loads of people. It was a interesting crowd of 25-40 year olds. So instead of listening to the crazy drunk talk of my friends, I order a tea and started paying attention to the surroundings. It was interesting to see that some people really drank a lot and fast, others slow and didn't really pay attention to their drinks and some didn't alcohol at all.

I noticed also a couple of nice girls, made eye-contact with them, I kinda feel stupid for not going over and making a small talk, but I was a bit overwhelmed. I always needed alcohol to get confidence to talk with girls and usually I got totally wasted and often rejected No wonder, which normal girl would talk to a drunk. Now I felt more confident, made eye-contact, smiled, they often smiled back. Next time I am going for it.

The problem right now are my friends. My good friend is ok and he doesn't drink much but my other soccer friends are not really good company for an evening out. I need to meet, new interesting people that don't drink. The problem is that all the people in my town in the AA are well over 45, so there is no real connection. I have been to the AA twice, but there isn't really a click. Any idea's/tips how you have build up a new social network?

I just want to go out, meet new people, meet new friends, talk about sports, politics or even the weather. Things normal people do.

Thanks for reading.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Great way to handle the situation.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congrats for staying sober! I remember people-watching my first time too, and was a little surprised to see how few were actually getting drunk. They didn't look nearly as charming as I'm sure they felt!

There are so many places to meet people - community groups, classes, volunteer work...... just striking up a conversation with someone at a book store..... Give it time and keep up the good work on your recovery!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like to people watch too, wherever I'm at.

Glad you had a good time. Life really can be good without drugs or alcohol.

God bless.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Drunks are really boring, aren't they?? Ooops. I was one and thought everything was so fun!

[email protected] or try Netherlands young people. Call and ask!
Old 02-12-2012, 02:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post, you handled it very well.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done on a sober evening in the pub!

Meeting new people who are sober...well, getting involved in an activity like a running club or some other sport, taking a class, etc. can work.

And just be sure you are recognizing the signs of people wanting to be your friend. Years of drinking give us habits of keeping people at a a distance so as to preserve our drinking time and secrets, and some of these habits can be almost unnoticed by us.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dawnrunner View Post

And just be sure you are recognizing the signs of people wanting to be your friend. Years of drinking give us habits of keeping people at a a distance so as to preserve our drinking time and secrets, and some of these habits can be almost unnoticed by us.
This is such a good point and really makes me think. During my 10 year drinking career I didn't instigate one single new long term (non drinking pal) friendship. I made one good friend but it was because we drove the same car, ran into each other multiple times (I still didn't offer to hang out or anything) and then one night he saw me driving home from work at 3am and followed me back to my dads. Hopped in his car and we went cruising and he showed me a bunch of parts he had bought for his car. He instigated everything and now it all makes sense.