Notices

6 months

Old 02-11-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 months

So I have 6 months sober today. This is usually about as far as I make it. I've already been rationalizing "just having one drink socially" over and over again in my head. I am so sick it is not even funny. Will this never end? At what point will my brain give me a rest and just accept once and for all that me and alcohol don't mix? Really, it is exhausting. Sometimes the only thing that keeps me sober for the night is reading some of the newer people's posts, the physical and mental anguish. I really don't want to go back there. I just wish it could be easier. Please.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Eliasson

It got easier for me, so I hope it will for you too.

Have you been looking for more support and ways to take the pressure off yourself where you can?

Gritting my teeth was pretty exhausting for me too.

D
Old 02-11-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Congratulations Eliasson.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

6 months! That's fantastic - I remember when you first joined Eliasson . I'm so glad for you.

When I quit I was always obsessing over not drinking. It was part of my every move for so many years - I had to learn to live again without it as a buffer. It took me quite awhile, but those thoughts of "just one" never come around much anymore. I began to relax & feel happier and calmer without it. I know you'll get there too.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eliasson View Post
I just wish it could be easier.
It can be....It takes a little work...But it can be better than that.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 6 months!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

congrats! and sapling is right, it can be easier but you have to work very hard for it. You really have to desire it with all your hearts content.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations, Eliasson!!
I still had those thoughts at 6 months - it just (slowly) got better over time. Reading the posts here every day really helped me as well.

Sometimes we get urges to drink when we're stressed (or HALT - hungry, angry, lonely, tired). Just stopping to think about what brought up the urge can help. Then we can find a solution..... (I've had to work on changing some of my negative thinking and not taking on too much).

Don't listen to the old voices - they're insane!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Eliasson,

Congratulations on six months sober!!!! You would be surprised how often I have looked for your posts and wondered how you are doing. You helped me so very, very much when I was just starting out - starting out just a day before you - and look at us now!

I just replied to a post saying that I was in a rut and having a rough time with it, so you are not alone. And I am with you.....I read SR every day, and can feel the pain in some of the newcomer's posts, bless them. Pain just like I had before I quit drinking and never want again. Knowing a little bit about your situation from your previous posts, you have had it rough, and I admire your strength very much. You will never know how much you have inspired me. Thank you. I had a tough month though, and I know I could have never been able to get through it had I been drinking. I am sure that is the case with you too. Drinking never makes things better....only worse. The temporary relief is so not worth descending back into hell. You are better than that, and you deserve much more than that. You are a trooper - stick with it. Much love and respect to you.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

(((Elisasson))) - congratulations on 6 months!!! I don't know about you, but I was an addict (alcohol wasn't my thing) for far longer than 6 months, and though it frustrated me to still have "using thoughts", I had to accept that it was going to take a while to learn how to live a different way. It got better for me, I pray it gets better for you.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-11-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Congrats E!
I really hope you can break on through this point in your recovery.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

well done on 6 months.

the daily practice of gratitude has built a habit that has had a very positive influence on my mindset. I think it helps because there are always negatives and in the past these have been part of my rational to drink (deserving for putting up with etc).

Now If I have intrusive thoughts about alcohol they are much easier to deal with.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats! Focus on the positives, no hangover, withdrawals, despair.
Make a list of the good things you've seen in sobriety. And make a list of all the horrible things drinking did to you. Check it when you think you have it in control.
If you were in control, you wouldn't need to control it.
Congrats again.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

6 months is awesome, congratulations on the good work! Stay strong and keep it going it does get easier.