Cooking with Alcohol

Old 02-11-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cooking with Alcohol

So my hubby is 2.5 years into recovery. Adult daughter asked today if "beer can chicken" would be a problem for her dad. I don't cook with wine usually, so I didn't know the answer and hope someone here could help? Thanks in advance~
Old 02-11-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My understanding is that cooking burns away the alcohol, but follks have different (strong) preferences on this question.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cooking does not burn away nearly as much of the alcohol as people insist it does

Alcohol Burn-off Chart

I'm a recovering alcoholic - I personally don't use alcohol in my cooking, but I know many here who do.

In the end it's down to what you and your husband think, I think.

D
Old 02-11-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I have cooked the beer can chicken in my past.

Today, I use Orange Pellegrino which is a naturally flavored sparkling water (comes in a can) or use any canned soda.
The canned beverage produces steam inside the bird and keeps the meat moist while cooking on the grill.

Enjoy your updated Canned Chicken!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for your responses. I think I shall pass and we may try with a soda or something. I'd hate to take a chance.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hear the soda is pretty good

D
Old 02-11-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There are many, many great chicken recipes out there that don't use alcohol. I'd go with one of those.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My husband is in recovery for some 10 months now and we have alcohol free home. I would never bring alcohol to my home again, even if it only meant for cooking.
Bringing a bottle of alcohol can only add to my RAH's temptation, and I don't see any point in that regardless of how good the food would taste.
I'm not involved in his recovery but I try to be supportive, not bringing alcohol to our home seems like a good support to me.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If he wants to find alcohol, he will. Also, if he wants to blame you for a relapse, he will. So whether or not you get some cooking alcohol has no bearing on him and his recovery.

However, if having cooking alcohol in the house will make *you* feel apprehensive and distracted, which is understandable given everything you've been through, then don't get some. Just find yourself another recipe!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for your thoughts. I wasn't cooking the beer can chicken. My daughter (at her home) made it and asked if it would be a problem, as she call me (to invited us) at the last minute on a whime. Our home is alcohol-free and will remain so. Again, thanks for your responses!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My SO also has just over 2.5 years clean/sober. He is ok with people around him drinking (his parents do it all the time) but he stays away from all types of alcohol, cooking or otherwise.

If someone told us that "Beer Can Chicken" was on the menu, we wouldn't go. But also anyone who would invite us over in the first place would probably know enough not to make anything with alcohol in it.

I'm sure it was an innocent question on the part of your daughter, but hopefully you have talked to her and even though "dad is now sober" she hopefully understands that he is not "cured", nor will he ever be.

Hugs,
T
Old 02-13-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

If you have had beer can chicken, you know that it is the steam from the opened can that keeps the chicken so moist, while the hops add a nice flavor to the meat. This obsession over alcohol, even the most minute amounts, sounds unreasonable to me. If extreme measures are needed to maintain sobriety, then have at it.

I saw a similar question from someone who was prescribed a skin creme that had 1 % alcohol - I could not believe that the prevailing advice was 'You never can be too careful, better to stay away'. If you passed on the chicken meal, you missed something tasty WITH NO ALCOHOL IN IT.

I don't know if I am cured, or what I might have been infected with, but if I wanted a buzz, I wouldn't be doing it by asking for a second helping of the chicken.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

LOL freshstart - that last sentence cracked me up.

Beer can chicken? Never heard of it...

I have in the past cooked a lot with alcohol. Beer adds a great flavor to certain meat dishes, especially stews. I've used copious amounts of liquor in baking...anyone ever had a whiskey cake? Rum pumpkin pie or pecan pie? I even have a blueberry cake recipe that the only moisture in ti comes from a raspberry liqueur and the glaze is made with the same liqueur and powered sugar.

But...I have since gone to alcohol free cooking. My RAH has not even commented on it, and I have found certain non-alcoholic beverages substitute just fine.

Ok - now can someone explain beer can chicken?!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had a lot of issues with a sister-in-law that just couldn't understand why RAW can't have just one beer. I didn't kill her, and AW pointed out to me it's not my job to educate SIL and that RAW will handle her own situations like this (she's right).

That said, I strongly believe that alcoholics should at least be notified when they are being served food that has or has had alcohol used in the preparation so they can choose for themselves.

Lastly, if my daughter or anybody else served anything made in alcohol to my wife there would be hell to pay. It crosses my line.

Cyranoak
Old 02-13-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
beer can chicken is really just a whole chicken with a 12 oz can of something rammed up its backside which helps hold it steady on the grill. you could use an empty soda can, or a beer can, but put broth or any other liquid you wish in there. doesn't have to be beer.

we actually have a holder thingie now round in the middle for the can with three feet that look like duck feet, which makes it even sturdier.
LOL that picture is hilarious...looks like some strange animal.

Do you open the can? I had visions of a roasting chicken on its back or breast side and couldn't figure out the whole can thing...but now seeing this photo...weird indeed!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cyranoak View Post
I had a lot of issues with a sister-in-law that just couldn't understand why RAW can't have just one beer.
I deal with this also and know how frustrating it can be. My FIL is 78, an A and doesn't understand it either. He thinks that RAH can have "a few" and then stop and thinks I'm just an alcohol Nazi or something. But, he only went up to the 8th grade and is an A himself, so . . . . . I can't expect to much as far as logical thought processes. I try to Let Go & Let God!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
LOL that picture is hilarious...looks like some strange animal.

Do you open the can? I had visions of a roasting chicken on its back or breast side and couldn't figure out the whole can thing...but now seeing this photo...weird indeed!
It is pretty funny looking. Needs a hat or something LOL! I think you open the can, but I've never made it.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
Recently, I've been baking loaves and rolls of "no-knead" bread. If you understand the process of yeast fermentation etc., you'll realize that it also falls in the category of "cooking with alcohol" as ethanol is a natural by-product. It's very similar to the process for brewing beer - and in fact, many claim that brewing beer preceded bread making. Regardless the alcohol in this case definitely gets baked off at oven temperatures of 450F (internal 190F) for up to 60 minutes.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

There is a difference for any ex alcoholic between a drinking couple of beers and enjoying a pot roast that had a cup of wine braising in the oven for three hours. Even the cautionary table posted by Dee says that of that 8 oz cup of wine, only a tablespoon of wine would be left in the entire dish, serving maybe six? Does this mean that the pot roast was then 'made in alcohol'? And Tatertot, there is no beer in beer can chicken.

Vanilla extract is also alcohol. Would the quarter teaspoon in the choc chip cookies make them 'cross the line'? Or how about that delicious vanilla butter icing on the chocolate cake? Would that be like drinking a double vodka?

Choose not to consume these foods as you wish, but don't try to convince others that they are the first step on the road to perdition. I am pretty sure that it was the forty gallons a year of vodka that led to my alcoholism, not the boeuf bourgignon.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I don't think eating something that was cooked with alcohol can make RA relapse, and this is not an educated opinion, I just always assumed alcohol evaporates during cooking. Reading what others have said I see that maybe not be the case.

I don't think it is my job to tell my RAH what he should eat or drink to that matter, it is his decision only, and at the end he will do only what he wants to do.

But as I said before I don't think it is supportive when living with an RA to bring alcohol to the house ( as one would have to in order to cook with it). As it can only increase temptation. I don't see how it can do any good.
To me it is pretty much the same as filling fridge with the cakes when living with someone who is dieting or diabetic = not respectful of their needs and thus not supportive.
To me it is that simple.